Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Hampton Raises Concern About Leftwich Throwing Motion

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Hampton Raises Concern About Leftwich Throwing Motion

Postby trenches » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:08 pm

http://www.stillers.com/articles/2258.aspx

The Pro Bowler speaks out... :D

Greenhorned Rookie

Re: Hampton Raises Concern About Leftwich Throwing Motion

Postby JimPgh1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:16 pm

trenches wrote:http://www.stillers.com/articles/2258.aspx

The Pro Bowler speaks out...

This isn't April 1st, mate.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:34 pm

Don't know when (or IF) trenches interviewed the Big Snack (so can't comment on his "quotes"), but Yahoo Sports raised Leftwich's throwing motion as a concern.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors;_ylt=ArZ3yENPTZsnIq8MrxI7i61DubYF

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2008 3:48 pm EDT

Leftwich could stick with Steelers all season

Quarterback Byron Leftwich, who should be starting somewhere else in the NFL, took his first snaps on the practice field as the new No. 2 quarterback with the Steelers yesterday, and it's possible he could stay there the whole season. While the playoff opportunities for teams such as the Minnesota Vikings, Chicago Bears and Baltimore Ravens go begging for a decent starting quarterback, Leftwich scalded the hands of new receivers with his well-known fastball in two practices at Saint Vincent College.

"Byron was a No. 1 pick, the seventh overall in the draft," said Steelers quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson, who coached Leftwich for three seasons in Jacksonville. "He's started in the league, won games in the league. We're happy to have him here to kind of bail us out."

He has had two noticeable flaws, one he says has been corrected. He had persistent ankle injuries that date to his days at Marshall University when his teammates would pick him up and carry him to the huddle after he completed a pass. He said surgery last year finally fixed that.

"It's been the same injury time and time again, but I never got it fixed because, I wasn't a doctor and nobody told me, hey, you need to get that fixed," Leftwich said. "Once I got it fixed, it's better now. Last year I got something different, a high ankle sprain on the other ankle."

The other is a noticeable windup in his throwing motion that prevents him from getting the ball away more quickly. Coaches have tried to change that, with little luck.

Practice Squad

Postby gumband » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:08 pm

"Byron was a No. 1 pick, the seventh overall in the draft," said Steelers quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson, who coached Leftwich for three seasons in Jacksonville. "He's started in the league, won games in the league. We're happy to have him here to kind of bail us out."

Soooo where you're picked determines how good you are??? We should get Todd Marinovich or how 'bout the kid that went first or second overall down to San Diego what's his name....or how 'bout the kid that went #two overall to Seattle...can't remember his name either (think he played for Norte Dame)....the list could go on 'n' on........

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:13 pm

Gumband,

I hadn't seen that quote from Kenny. WTH? When you have to include someone's draft position, especially after they've already been a starter, it sounds like making excuses or over inflating.

The funny thing is that he (Kenny) shouldn't have to justify anything about him. While I joke about his throwing motion, I'm damn glad to pick him up as a backup QB. Since he's worked with Kenny before, Leftwich may be able to pickup the offense quicker since "You Always Get Plenny From" Kenny can translate Jags terms into Steelers terms.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:27 pm

"Did you see that?, " the Pro Bowler barked in regard to the old game film. "My grandmama's got a faster release than that!"

Steelers' head coach Mike Tomlin failed to comment saying only, "tell Casey to come talk to me when he's off the bike."

Bwah! You tell him, Coach! :lol:

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:31 pm

Thank you, thank you!

:sudancin:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby The Fan Of STEEL » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:41 pm

He has a strange throwing motion, but he has a cannon for an arm.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:49 am

Fan of Steel,

Reports out of camp are that his balls are "sizzling" through the air. I forget who used that term but almost everyone I've heard comment has said similar things.

Practice Squad

Postby BeavisFour » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:24 am

Steelers are screwed if Ben goes down.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:31 pm

BeavisFour wrote:Steelers are screwed if Ben goes down.

Agreed, isn't it funny how our leading passer in terms of yards/rating/completion percentage/TDs in last weeks game was Big Ben when he only played 1 series and threw 3 passes. Just goes to show you how mediocre our backup QBs are.

Return to Stillers Talk