Hello fellow Stiller brethren,
2008 Defense and Coaching Grades by the Still Mailman
- DE Aaron Smith gets an A for playing in the Giants game after dealing with his son�s leukemia. He had a quiet post-season but during the season he did his part to help the defense be number 1. Keisel played okay when he was healthy and probably led the team in batted down passes. Kirchke filled in when needed and was always hustling to the ball. Eason was just a big body. Roye came back to win the ring that Cowher screwed him out of. The 3-4 defense is set up to make stars out of the linebackers, not the linemen. This group did what they needed to do. Smith A, Keisel B-, Kirchke B- Eason C Roye C
- ILB Potsie captained the best defense in football. He missed some tackles and got burned in coverage a few times but overall he gave a B effort. Would you rather have Ray Lewis? Foote was the weak link of the linebackers as we all know but he still played his role. Timmons had a number of big plays coming off the bench. Let�s hope this will continue if he is given the starting job. Fox played mostly in garbage time and earned his keep on special teams. Farrior B, Foote C Timmons B [ He needs to learn how to take INTs the whole way to the endzone like
- OLB Harrison gets an A for his performance, playing hurt and not dancing like a fool when he makes a play. Woodley was a great bookend for
- CB Ike had a decent season as the shutdown corner. He needs to improve his tackling and his brick hands. McFadden was playing great before breaking his forearm. That opened the door for William Gay who had a breakout year and should be able to replace McFadden. The crafty old veteran Townsend was solid as the nickel corner and had the big interception against the Cowboys.
- HC Mike Tomlin made a lot of gutsy calls this year and has the respect of his players. I still think he should have gone for the touchdown on the first drive of the Super Bowl. He took over a good talented team just like Cowher did. The difference is that Tomlin didn�t have numerous playoff failures before winning the big one. When Tomlin was on the podium with the trophy he was already talking about next year with a different group of players. He doesn�t sound like he rest on his laurels. Tomlin A-
- OC Arians F- The fact that this team won the Super Bowl with him is amazing.
- DC LeBeau coached the number one defense this year. I think he shouldn�t have changed defenses in the second half of the Super Bowl. Outside of that, he made the right calls and now needs to be in the
- ST Bob Ligashesky What a turnaround by the special teams. Except for a couple of Jim Leonhard returns it was a solid year for the return defense. Santonio needs to be replaced on punt returns for two reasons. He calls too many fair catches and he is now the number one receiver. Someone also needs to be brought in to return kickoffs. I think half of Steeler Nation would have had heart attacks if Russell had took one back for a touchdown. Ligashesky B
- Have a good off-season and enjoy the spring and summer.
Yours in Steelerism,
The Still Mailman