Board index » Stillers Talk » The excuses begin

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

The excuses begin

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:43 pm

Grizzled Veteran

Re: The excuses begin

Postby indysteel » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:57 pm

Maybe he is or maybe he's not. Perhaps he just didn't have a whole lot to write about and was trying to make a deadline. I don't know. Here is what I do know --what teams did last year is not a reliable indicator as to the "toughness" of schedule.

For example, this time last year I would have said Arizona and the Jets would be "gimmies." That of course was not the case. I would also have assumed that Miami would be a blowout --- of course, who knew the field would be like it was (although I still am embarrassed that they only scored three points).

Essentially, trying to use past performance as an indicator of future outcomes is dubious at best --- particularly in sports where weather, injuries, trades, legal problems, suspensions, etc. make it almost impossible.

We can predict, estimate, and come to some conclusion. While I believe on paper the Steelers have a tough schedule, it would be unwise to dismiss them this year or to believe they'll have a 10-6 record (or some other speculative guess on their record).

In the end, this gives writers, radio show hosts, and the folks over at ESPN something to talk about. Nothing more, nothing less.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:58 pm

Sure the Steelers have a tough schedule this year, but I would never, ever count them out. If Ed Bouchette is making excuses, maybe he should keep it up. I know how the Steelers play when they're the underdogs.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby The Fan Of STEEL » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:35 am

The first thing that struck me about this article is the picture and comments about Faneca. I wish people would get over Faneca. The guy chose to leave for bigger money. If he really wanted to be a Steeler he would have stayed for the cash that was offered, and it was not small peanuts to begin with.

I do like that he gives credit to how the Steelers have handled the salary cap and the fact that we have made more "right" moves than "wrong" moves.

Yes, we have a tough schedule when you look at the teams we play. I don't see what losing 3 of the last 4 games LAST SEASON has to do with this season.

Then Douchet` says that Derek Anderson was a "one year wonder." LOL, I hope they go with that same guy this year, he fucking sucked when they needed him. The loss they had to the Bungles showed just how "great" Anderson and the browns really are. Sure, they have improved, it's not hard to improve that team, but they have a long way to go and their schedule is not much easier than ours.

I agree with Douchet` that if the Steelers improve their play in their offensive line, they can play with anyone. Then the douche goes on to say, "anyone this side of New England." At least he comments about the fact that New England has our defensive signals, but I am sure that we have changed that up since it is obvious the Pats have been cheating the past few years.

I also agree that we can't get much worse on special teams. We improved last year, but we are constantly one of the worst special teams in the league.

All in all, it seems like a typical Douchet` article and I try not to get that pissed off over one mans opinion. I hope his article does piss off the Steelers. I like it when they play pissed off. GO STEELERS!

Practice Squad

Postby StillerInCT » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:06 am

One thing he said about strength of schedule is very true, "somebody has to win the AFC North." Obviously we have a very tough schedule......but we just have to do better than 3 teams to make the playoffs. Having said that, if we do make the playoffs, chances are any team we play, we've already played during the regular season. If we make playoffs, I like our chances based on the fact that we can make the adjustments from previous meetings (Assuming we will in fact have already played the team) and also because we had to play at such a high level all season, a lot of the 1st year starters would essentially have had big game experience already.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Snockered Pedestrian » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:45 pm

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.
We'll find out soon enough if it's time to bring out the excuses; that being said, the things that will determine whether the '08 Steelers will be better are:

1)Coming to camp ready and staying healthy.
2)Keeping BR7's jersey clean.
3)Taking care of the ball on O, taking away the ball on D.
4)Better ST play all around.
5)Using all the weapons available; how many TDs/yards did Miller have the last half of '07?
6)A more experienced Tomlin making decisions.
7)Immediate contributions from the draft class.

Return to Stillers Talk