Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Who Would You Select With The 1st Round Pick?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Who Would You Select With The 1st Round Pick?

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:04 am

So we are rapidly approaching Draft Day 2014. Opinions are naturally flying on who The Steelers should take with 1st Round Selection, No.15 overall. So if you were Colbert/Tomlin, who would you select? You don't have to have an exact player in mind if you don't want to or know specific players. I'll start it off;

I'd take Texas A&M WR Mike Evans.(And that's assuming he's even available, and also assuming the top WR in The Draft, Clemson's Sammy Watkins, is already gone as he's projected to be.) Lance Moore is a decent, albeit slot No.3 WR. There is no guarantee Darius Heyward-Bey even makes the team out of training camp. I have a gut feeling Wheaton is going to be a bust, a "What If?" if you will. Moye only made the team via lack of depth at the position last year and is nothing special. Need to open up that passing game by giving A.B. a solid No. 2 WR to make that happen. We already have The QB to.

However if he isn't on the board, I'd draft like this for No.15; CB, OL, TE, or DL, and take my chances on another WR in Round 2.

Your pick(s)? Discuss......

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Who Would You Select With The 1st Round Pick?

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:18 am

I like the thought of taking the Ebron kid, even if it requires moving up to get him.
First of all, we have absolutely nobody behind Heath worth a shit. At least there is some depth, youth, and hope in the WR group.
Second, we all have witnessed how important the TE position has become over the last 3 or 4 seasons.
Finally, this draft class is much deeper at the WR position than at TE. A solid WR can still be picked up in round 2, 3, or 4.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:44 pm

I agree with SoCal, in regards to there being (ostensibly) depth at WR. I am more worried about our secondary. Troy had a great year but we are going to need to figure out some safety stuff (is Shamarko going to work out there?) and our coverage, even with Ike remaining (or because of Ike remaining) is going to need some help. What about looking at Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix (if he's still around?) If not, maybe Darqueze Denard at CB or Calvin Pryor at S. I just think our offense will not necessarily be our problem this coming year. (fingers crossed.)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:56 pm

I would have no problem with taking a safety or CB, but this year's draft has some good depth at those positions as well and we picked up the kid from Carolina. From all accounts there doesn't seem to be a DB that stands out above the others like Ebron does at his position. That is why I like him for round one.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby bubbybrister » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:53 am

I, too, am on the Ebron bandwagon. While I would have no problem with them taking Evans, Dennard or Justin Gilbert, Ebron would mean less Speath. I love Heath but we'd be lucky to get another 2 years out of him. There will be quality receivers in later rounds, as well as CBs like Stanley Jean-Baptiste.

Return to Stillers Talk