Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Moves so Far

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Moves so Far

Postby LenSherwood » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:22 am

Lots of happy talk on the MSM Pittsburgh press about how well the off season is going so far. Ok, they finally cut Woodley after having him suck up cap room. The FA signing form Carolina seems reasonably sensible and the salary restructuring went well. Oh and no more Ziggy Hood, a defensive end who was good for four yards backward on every running playing against him. But, someone pointed out that now there are 0 people on the roster from 2008 and 2009--not good... those would be players in their prime had Colbert and Tomlin not entirely fucked up two drafts... So I call it a mixed bag of hope for the future...

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Moves so Far

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:05 am

Joe Starkey wrote a column in yesterday's Trib Re: this, about how he gives the off-season moves so far "an A." However, most of that grades came from addition by subtraction, I.E. Releasing Woodendick and letting Clark walk, Re-structuring aging Troy and Heath Miller's contracts, and getting Ike to agree to take a huge paycut.

Although I agree with Starkey about upgrading with the addition of Mitchell to replace Clark at FS and the players they let go and/or got them to re-structure their deals, I think grading them an "A" so far is pushing it especially looking on the offensive side of things. Manny Sanders just signed with Denver, to which I say good riddance. Let him drop passes for Manning now. But word is that Cotch is visiting Carolina and if he ends up signing there, look how depleted The WR depth chart is all of a sudden. I saw where WR Hakeem Nicks signed a reasonable, 1 year deal with The Colts for 1.3 million. Any reason they couldn't have swung something similar to land him and give Brown a solid No.2 WR? As I mentioned in another thread, The RBs depth chart is even worse; To be specific, Le'Von Bell is the only RB on the team currently under contract. They were supposed to have ex-Packers RB James Starks in for a visit the other day, but I have no idea what became of that. They signed a DT who lost his starting job in San Diego last season to apparently replace the departed Hood. Ziggy was nothing special when he was here, so it's a wash in that regard.

Add to it Colbert's recent draft boners, and I'd say it's a mixed bag to say the least.....

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:40 am

Heading into the off season, my two biggest wishes were to jettison both Woodley and Clark. The fact that they filled Clark's void with a capable free agent easily pushes the grade to an 'A' for me so far.

Oh, and bye-bye to Hood!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:07 pm

Cotchery just signed with Carolina. Another WR gone in less than a week.

Looks like it will be a wideout taken with the 15th pick this May, or should be. Hell, even if they sign Lance Moore, I'd still take a WR with that selection.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm disappointed that Cotch won't be back, but other teams have shown a willingness to pay too much for receivers who have worn the black and gold:

Burress
Washington
Randle-El
Holmes
Wallace
Sanders

Haven't seen the contract terms but they probably paid too much for Cotch, too. Good, I like it when yeomen get paid.

Don't forget we still likely have Burress for next year, maybe he still has something in him. Moye didn't show much but hardly got a chance too. Maybe Wheaton will be good. Probably one coming in the draft and maybe a couple of undrafted kids in camp, too.

Return to Stillers Talk