Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Harrison

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Harrison

Postby Pommah » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Now James Harrison wants back with the Steelers.

Had he just taken the contract offered by them last time, he would still be under contract for this year, and would have made more money last year than he did with the Bungles. But no, he turned down the Steelers' offer, only to find out it was above what the market would bear.

Too f'n bad, I say. You had your chance. Guys like Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, Ike Taylor, Heath Miller, all figured out it was worth staying a Steeler, even at a cut rate, than going elsewhere for short-term gain. All in all, the Steelers have been fair with players, far better than any other team.

This doesn't mean he wasn't a great player in his prime, and didn't earn his keep on his old contract. But I would be pissed if they brought him back, I'd rather be giving a young guy a chance to earn his pay. Last thing we need at this point is another graybeard, especially on the D. This isn't like when Randle-El came back, Snyder offered him stupid money to leave, and his return price was fair and he filled a need at the time.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Harrison

Postby Ed Burns » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:16 am

The way it looks, per NFL.com, they can't sign him before June 1st. I also think if they did sign him, it would be at the veteran minimum. He's not gonna get big time money at this stage of his career. I don't think it's far fetched, but I also don't think it'll happen. They have too many needs to fill at this point, like DL, WR, CB, and RB. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying Harrison's history with the team, but he can't live up to those performances anymore. If they decided to pick him up, it would have to be at the absolute minimum, nothing more. They'd still be better off filling needs instead.

Still, with all of that said, we've seen Colbert's penchant for shitting the bed on the gray beards. I can see him signing him to a seven figure deal for a year or two.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SteelThatDon'tRust » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:13 am

I don't know. Peezy + Deebo in the lockeroom might be a really good thing for the defense. I doubt Harrison would see major playing time at the expense of Jarvis and certainly not Worilds. Who is our depth at OLB? Carter? Ummm, no. If we can have him on the cheap and if he is definite back up, I do it in a heartbeat. Peezy + Deebo = Jarvis turns into a grown ass man. We don't need 5 TEs on the roster this year. I understand the other views., though. Absolutely I do.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:18 pm

SteelThatDon'tRust wrote:Peezy + Deebo = Jarvis turns into a grown ass man.

:suplusone:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:33 pm

Peezy + Deebo = Jarvis turns into a grown ass man

Not quite sure what a "grown ass man" is? I myself am just a plain "ass man"

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:34 pm

Channel 4 News tonight reported that Harrison and The Steelers "Have a mutual interest in one another."

They also reported that F.A.'s WR Lance Moore and RB Maurice Jones-Drew are in town visiting for talks with the team.

Guess which 2 I have interest in signing here??

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby bubbybrister » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:14 am

I would love it if they brought James back for 1 year. Yes, he's older. I understand he did piss some people off when he turned down the Steelers offer of a pay cut, but I really think he was given some terrible information on his value in the free agent market by his agent.

Despite the age, I believe he can still be a very serviceable, if not great, player again. Don't forget in his last year in the burgh, after coming back too soon from injury, he did turn into the only reliable pass rusher we had in the second half of the season. He brings toughness to a D that got pushed around last year. Plus he is a guy you can never say loafs or is out of shape, unlike Fat Lamar.

Sign him on the cheap as a back-up. If it was OK to bring back a below average Foote from Detroit, why wouldn't we want to bring back one of our best? We need OLBs anyway. Worilds and Jones have a history of injuries so I could see James being a starter by mid-season. What's the risk?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:18 am

If he fits under the cap, you definately have to sign him for one year. The depth and leadership he provides is well worth what he will most likely get paid. Also, do not be misled by his stats last year. He saw limited playing time in a system he didn't quite fit into. JH can still be a beast.

A huge ego is part of what makes NFL players great. However, that can work to their detriment in their self evaluation come contract time. All is forgiven for me, despite the fact he wore the tigger uni last season. (Kind of makes me want to vomit in my own mouth uttering those horrid words!)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:37 am

Pommah wrote:Not quite sure what a "grown ass man" is? I myself am just a plain "ass man"

I used to be an ass man, but my girlfriend's "huge tracts of land" have turned me into a bonafide tit man through and through.

:surockin:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SteelThatDon'tRust » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:50 pm

"Ziggy got weight-room strength, I got grown-ass man strength"
-- Casey Hampton

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:05 pm

Seems I am dramatically out-voted about bringing Harrison back, and the rumor mill seems to be that the team will try to come to terms with him.

I hope it works

Seems to me symptomatic of relying too much on old guys, though.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SteelThatDon'tRust » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:50 am

Pommah wrote:Seems I am dramatically out-voted about bringing Harrison back, and the rumor mill seems to be that the team will try to come to terms with him.

I hope it works

Seems to me symptomatic of relying too much on old guys, though.

Direct democracy is dangerous. If he gets brought in to be a starter, I'll be upset. The time for youth is come. I would like Harrison back for locker room affect, attitude, and for providing a good model for Jarvis and Worilds to imitate. He should not start. But I think he could be quality depth. Better than Carter. We'll see.

Return to Stillers Talk