Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Starkey; Steelers Should Take WR With F.R. Pick

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Starkey; Steelers Should Take WR With F.R. Pick

Postby Steelers76 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:13 am

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Joe Starkey penned an article this week that suggested The Steelers take a WR with their No. 15, First Round Selection. As I've said before this is a sentiment I agree with, but am not totally convinced that Colbert will select the right one given his recent track record in the draft. That said, I believe he needs to try his damndest to do so. A.B. needs that No.2 Guy to compliment him and open up the passing game. Starkey suggested Texas A&M's Mike Evans,(6'5, 225 lbs), or Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin(6'5, 234 lbs) Or if they want to go with speed over size USC's Marqise Lee might be available when The Steelers go at 15, as Starkey said Lee has risen as high as The No.2 WR in The Draft. The No.1 WR, Clemson's Sammy Watkins, will likely be gone by then. Starkey, who I normally can take or leave as a writer, makes a compelling case for drafting a Wideout No.1. If you can find it online, give it a read. However, he had the best reason not to draft a Defensive Player at 15;

"What's the point of taking a defensive player in the first round anyways? He'll need nine years to learn Dick LeBeau's system. Take the receiver." :suplusone:

Thoughts?
Last edited by Steelers76 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Starkey; Steelers Should Take WR With F.R. Pick

Postby Pommah » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:06 pm

I hear Limas Sweed is available

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:23 am

Thanks for bringing up repressed memories. :supissed:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:16 am

sorry. overall their selection of receivers hasnt been bad. we would be in a much different position of sweed hand panned out, though.

Seems to me like the Steelers take a lot of risks in drafting, picking up the players who were hurt in college, the linebacker who doesn't measure up, etc., in looking for "value". That could be done a while ago, but in this day and age, all those potential draftees are poked, prodded, tested, screened, taped, reviewed, so much that there really isn't any information that isn't well-weighted. There isn't much "value" to be had out there.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:38 pm

Bleacher Report actually has a mock draft with the Steelers taking Lee at 15,adding:

"Kevin Colbert acknowledged what had become apparent in recent weeks: Emmanuel Sanders won’t be among the in-house free agents the Pittsburgh Steelers try to sign before March 11."

Even with the rumored bump of the salary cap up to 130 M it does not appear that Sanders will stay. Good riddance, as far as I'm concerned. Let him do his dancing elsewhere. If that extra money can be used to ensure Worilds remains, it is well spent and only adds to the logic of drafting a WR in round 1.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:50 pm

On another note, despite the talk that Shamarko Thomas will be well suited to step up into a starting safety role, presumably replacing the spot vacated by Clark, I find Calvin Pryor an interesting 1st round pick, too. Not as much to learn on the back end of Dick's D, and Pryor's size and skill are appealing.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Pommah; You're right about The Steelers having a pretty good track record when it comes to drafting WRs, especially Colbert. In his tenure as G.M. here, he's drafted Plaxico, Holmes, Mike Wallace, and Antonio Brown. So if they do take a WR, especially early, chances are he will be solid.

Personally, just assuming Watkins doesn't fall to 15th or the team doesn't trade up to nab him, I'd like to see Evans here. He has that Megatron, Andre Johnson vibe, which pared with Brown would be awesome.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:03 pm

It is a very dumb move to take a tall WR in the first round. Why ?

If it works out you will not be able to resign him. Those type of players are always overpaid in free agency.

If it doesn't work out you will have to use again another pick.

Most of all... I would like to remind everybody that the best WRs in the league do NOT make any difference performance wise. Calvin Johnson record in post season ? Atlanta Falcons record with Julio Jones ? You need several good receivers. Not one extraordinary receiver.

So with a Antonio Brown, a Markus Wheaton and an always reliable Cotchery why do you want to pick a tall WR ? To improve in the red zone and in 3rd down conversions. If you pick a TE you have the same result, you will be able to resign him ( TE are cheaper, so you will have a reliable pass catcher for his entire career like Heath Miller...) That is why I wanted a TE instead of J. Jones last year. This year, given our problems once Foote went down, we need a ready to play ILB. So I hope that those rumours are just... well , rumours.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:12 pm

The Draft is a crap-shoot anyways. You can use in the logic in what you said to describe if a defensive or other position player is good, too. They have just as much history drafting bad defensive players in the early rounds as well.

And God forbid we have 2 really good WRs. That combo of 3 you listed below will not open up a lot of passing lanes. Cotch isn't getting any younger, and Wheaton is still unproven.

And yes, it takes "several good receivers." That's why if they drafted one of the aforementioned WRs I listed, you have Brown AND that other WR, and a solid vet in Cotchery. Otherwise, Defenses will just double team Brown and take their chances with the other ones. You shut down the passing game, you basically shut down the run game as well.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:06 pm

There are so many needs on this team. Cornerback. Safety (x2 because Troy isn't getting any younger) Nose Tackle. Defensive end. Left OLB if Worlids doesnt' come back. ILB (Foote???) Not sold on ROLB as I think Jones is too slightly built to deal with those monsters that occupy offensive lines at the left tackle position. Those are needs for starters not to mention depth (there is none.) On offense the picture is better somewhat. You still need a true left offensive tackle most likely as Beauchum is serviceable but smallish. And yup, the receiver corps can use and upgrade but you also need a TE-- hate to say it but Miller is in the downside of his career.. So many needs and so few picks...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:01 am

Steelers76 wrote:The Draft is a crap-shoot anyways. You can use in the logic in what you said to describe if a defensive or other position player is good, too. They have just as much history drafting bad defensive players in the early rounds as well.

And God forbid we have 2 really good WRs. That combo of 3 you listed below will not open up a lot of passing lanes. Cotch isn't getting any younger, and Wheaton is still unproven.

Just look at the franchise tag by position. 1- Qb, 2- De,3-WR.

Wrs demand too much money. It is actually better to get a good WR than a great WR. A good WR will stick around and you will have him for his entire career. A great WR will be gone just like Plaxico... What did we get in return for Plaxico ? 4 good years and then nothing. I would prefer something a little different

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:06 am

Pommah wrote:I hear Limas Sweed is available

:D :D

I also hear that Sansmokio Holmes is too

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:25 pm

any thoughts on how this may affect the decision making process?

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 37d53c8459

Return to Stillers Talk