Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Browns Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Browns Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Stillers-Browns Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Practice Squad

Re: Stillers-Browns Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby bigmoesteelers83 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:59 am

While I highly doubt we could have made a Superbowl run, I would have liked for us to knock out the Bungles in the playoffs next week. The Steelers pissed away the season early so it's our own fault we need so much help at the end. That being said, the refs fucked up the call on the FG at the end of the KC / SD game as SD had 7 players lined up on one side of the ball. New rule this year put a limit of 6 on either side of the ball.

Then there's the fake punt in OT on which I think KC got screwed. The NFL really needs to allow for challenges in OT and the last two minutes (seems to me these are the most crucial times of a game). SD will get killed by Cinci next week. They don't deserve to be in the playoffs any more than the Steelers.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:04 am

Thanks for another year of spot on analysis Mill. You dissect like no other. When I want analysis - I read you - not the PG media assholes. Cheers!!

Practice Squad

Postby 2016SBChamps » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:24 am

bigmoesteelers83 wrote:While I highly doubt we could have made a Superbowl run, I would have liked for us to knock out the Bungles in the playoffs next week. The Steelers pissed away the season early so it's our own fault we need so much help at the end.

Yeah, it would have been nice to have another run for the SB. Unfortunately, our team is strong enough to beat the likes of Broncos and Patriots. In a way, I am glad the season is over for our underachieving team. I hope our team will start playing hard starting from Game 1, not game 9 or 10.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:45 am

Yes Mill thanks for running this website I have enjoyed it immensely.

You are right it was an easy schedule with the only playoff-caliber teams they went up against being the Pats (horrific loss) Bengals (split) and Packers (gift win, no Rodgers). They lost AT HOME to non-playoff, non-winning teams Miami, Chicago, and Tennessee. They have the same away record (3-5) as Cincy but the Bengals took care of business at home. This team should have been 13-3 with "forgivable" losses on the road to New England, Cincy, and Baltimore.

That said, they do not have the personnel, even if they went 13-3, to stop the offenses of Denver or New England. They do not have the coaching to out-coach Belichick or John Fox. No way would they make the Super Bowl, and no way could they beat Seattle or New Orleans or S.F. either if by some freak they made it that far.

Personally, I have lost any faith in Tomlin to return the franchise to Super Bowl form. I think its probably not there in the personnel department either, though that is harder to judge. I doubt we can return to Super Bowl form in time to take advantage of having Roethlisberger. Probably we are looking at another decade before we can regroup to that level of play.

Practice Squad

Postby steelcitysouth » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:45 pm

Great read and Analysis as always. Unfortunately, the Pittsburgh media will look at this as the glass is" half full" for salvaging the second half of the season. Where was the fire from this team week 1?

A few game notes: Throwing the deep ball 50 times in 25 degree weather on a cold wet rainy day up by 3 scores was painful to watch. It seems Ben struggles with the timing of tradition play calling, period. Up tempo or no huddle are on his side. Watching him walk off the field on numerous occasions shaking his head is interesting. Either execution or the call IMHO have him pissed.

They work Bell hard in the first half and have back off his touches in second half. Looks like a trend. Not sure why unless they are resting him. Watching Gilbert get spun around and passed like the turnstiles at Kennywood on the 4th of July is almost comical.

Cody Wallace played extremely well in his fill in position. I would have no problem in giving him a shot, looking at signing Valesco (if affordable) and letting M. Pouncey walk, if he can, then he can join A. Hernandez's legal team. Lastly, Campbell had ALL DAY to throw yesterday. Very little pressure. If that were Manning or Marsha in Foxboro, we lose by 21-28 points.

Time to trim the fat boys!

Happy New Year to you all, SCS

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks for running this site Mill and all. In your year end review, don't forget to address who goes. It may be a long list this year!

Practice Squad

Postby rpbncb » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:22 pm

Time to clean house. Too bad Tomlin gets to stay. IMHO, teams do take on their coaches personality and I can't stand where this team is mentally or physically under Dum-lin. I bleed black and gold, like all true Steelers fans, but this head coach has changed the Steelers for the worst, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not going to get better until MT is gone!! Lots of big and UN-popular personnel decisions to be made this off season. Overpaid players like Woodley, Taylor, Hood, Keisel, Clark, Pouncey, need to be cut. Many more need restructuring or if not willing to re-negotiate, must also be cut. If Dick L is to remain as DC he must simplify the D since we don't seem to have players smart enough to grasp his defense. Time to let the youngsters play and take their lumps. Steelers will be better off in the long run until the Rooney's finally acknowledge the mistake they made a few years ago. This team needs to get in shape. Timmons, as good as he plays sometimes is slow and to fat for the money he's being paid. Just being honest about some of this teams players. I know some of you die-hards don't want to admit it but it is what it is.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:21 pm

rpbncb wrote:Time to clean house. Overpaid players like Woodley, Taylor, Hood, Keisel, Clark, Pouncey, need to be cut. Many more need restructuring or if not willing to re-negotiate, must also be cut. If Dick L is to remain as DC he must simplify the D since we don't seem to have players smart enough to grasp his defense. Time to let the youngsters play and take their lumps. Steelers will be better off in the long run until the Rooney's finally acknowledge the mistake they made a few years ago. This team needs to get in shape. Timmons, as good as he plays sometimes is slow and to fat for the money he's being paid. Just being honest about some of this teams players. I know some of you die-hards don't want to admit it but it is what it is.

Wrong site. Here you will find a lot of people that actually agree with you. Hell we have been calling for a little housekeeping job since August. The problem is salary/performance. Nobody would say a word if Woodley was getting a million or two. But at 13 millions... Well ... We are all here waiting for news. Maybe something will happen this week t o shake up our franchise

Practice Squad

Postby Matthew1516 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:00 pm

This team needs help at defensive back, middle linebacker and nosetackle. On offense the key issue remains the offensive line. As for key moves:

1. Defensive Back: You have to keep Polamalu and get rid of Clark. You don't want two new safeties, and you definitely do not want or need Clark. But Polamalu is still a productive playmaker, and he is the heart of this defense. You draft a corner on the first day, start Shamarko, and keep Ike Taylor around to play out his contract because the cap hit is already too heavy. We need to get younger and faster in the defensive backfield, and getting rid of Clark is the first priority.

2. Defensive Tackle: Let Keisel retire. Great career but time to call it quits instead of taking money to limp around the sidelines. Heyward has proven himself. Hood has not. Let Hood walk and let's see what Woods and Arnfelt can do. Shoot for a real nosetackle in the draft and slide McClendon over where he belongs.

3. Middle linebacker -- do not bring back Larry Foote. Nice enough guy and nice enough career, but he was never great to begin with. I think we should try to go the James Farrior route and get a good veteran through free agency to line up with Timmons.

4. On offense, keep Jericho and say goodbye to Sanders. Draft a lineman on the first day and the second day. We need more depth and talent at this position. Try to find one more receiver, but it is not the top priority -- unless Wheaton is a bust.

Return to Stillers Talk