Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Pittsburgh Sports Media; Glorified P.R. Agents

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Pittsburgh Sports Media; Glorified P.R. Agents

Postby Steelers76 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:38 pm

So I e-mailed a special edition of "The Nightly Sports Call" Steelers post-game edition a few hours ago. Bob Pompeani read my e-mail on air. It went like this; "Miami just scored the most points this year in the snow in Pittsburgh. Are you in the media finally going to agree that Dick LeBeau needs to go, or do you think he should continue to coast on reputation?"

Pompeani's response was hilarious. In short, you would've thought I just called his wife a whore. He went on some tangent about "He doesn't coast on reputation, he works very hard over there", and it's more a "personnel issue."

This from a guy,(one of many, actually), that does nothing but give unabashed praise to this fossil anytime he shuts down a Manuel or Weeden, but when he gets toasted by a competent offense, it "is a personnel problem." Sorry, but you can't have it both ways, clown. Also, no defense comes with a ready made All-Pro Team. If it is indeed a "personnel issue", then what's that say about Dickie's coaching abilities???

The sports media types here really make me sick. They truly are glorified P.R. men who give soft criticism,(if any at all), because they are scared the coaches and players of the teams here will be mad at them. They really should be ashamed to even think they are "impartial"..... :sufu:

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Pittsburgh Sports Media; Glorified P.R. Agents

Postby Pommah » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:11 pm

The sports teams control who has access to the club, the players, the management. If a media type badmouths the club, they get denied access. All kinds of other nasty things can be done that makes doing their job difficult. So the toe the company line. It's a good living and it beats schlepping burgers, the way the compromised sportswriters put it; "everybody does it."

Why you have to go to sites like this.

I didn't see the game, but obviously embarrassing defensive effort. Miami averages something like 22 points a game. And I noticed, on the stat sheet at least, Worilds significantly outplayed LaMarrrr.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:54 pm

Pommah wrote:The sports teams control who has access to the club, the players, the management. If a media type badmouths the club, they get denied access. All kinds of other nasty things can be done that makes doing their job difficult. So the toe the company line. It's a good living and it beats schlepping burgers, the way the compromised sportswriters put it; "everybody does it."

Why you have to go to sites like this.

I didn't see the game, but obviously embarrassing defensive effort. Miami averages something like 22 points a game. And I noticed, on the stat sheet at least, Worilds significantly outplayed LaMarrrr.

I will take Mill and the others here anyday over those supposed "experts" Not just for the reasons you stated, but because the writers on this site actually do their homework and know their stuff, which those jackasses obviously don't.

Although I will say how it's funny in other cities how the media is 10 times worse to the clubs in terms of calling them out on stuff,(New York, Boston, Philly, etc.), yet I've never heard of one of their media members being denied access for saying something they don't like. If anything I think doing something like that would make the writer even more popular, and make the team look like thin skinned pussies.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:40 pm

It's a fine line. It's subtle.

Sports provide most of the $ to the networks anymore. Newspapers? Have you seen their numbers lately? None of the media outlets can risk pissing off the teams.

Plus, in a lot cities, the teams OWN the media. In Boston, the same guy who owns the Red Sox just bought the Boston Globe. How much copy critical of the 'sox do you think you're going to find there now?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:58 pm

That's just pathetic, really.

However, there is a way to do it and not leave yourself wide open to be mocked and made fun of, either.

Case in point was just this year. Defense shuts down Geno Smith, Manuel, and Weeden. Sports Media; "Dick LeBeau still knows how to coach!!" New England pounds Steelers D for the most points given up in Steelers HISTORY; Warm weather Miami scores a season high 34 points at Pittsburgh in the snow in December. Pittsburgh sports media; "It's a personnel issue. He has no players" Well, WHICH IS IT THEN?!?!

If they are compromised and are scared to say anything because of the repercussions you talked about, that's one thing. But don't sit there in your little studio and proceed to tell me what's what when you know damn well your fucked if you say anything "wrong".....

Or maybe they truly are that fucking stupid, and think shutting down Manuel and Weeden is the same as shutting down Brady and Brees......

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:39 pm

That's just embarrassing. Look at the defensive scheme that resulted in the 45 yard dash by Tannehill. It's the same goddamn scheme that let Pryor run for a first-play-from-scrimmage TD in Chokeland. The defensive coordinator's job is to put HIS PLAYERS in the best possible position to make plays, not some mythical all pro roster we all wish we had. The fact that the mainstream media still fawns over Dick when our D hasn't looked good since the fucking cardinals game is ridiculous. Come to think of it, Dick's "D" got scorched for 16 points in the fucking fourth quarter in that game to force Ben to march the length of the field to win a game that should have been in the bag.

I don't know who is an eligible successor (unless we can pry Dantonio from Michigan State) but Dick needs to go. Thank you for the zone blitz. Thank you for your years of service. Thank you for two Super Bowl rings and a couple "#1" defenses. It's time to walk off into that sunset and be with your family, Dick. Your services here are no longer required.

Or, to put it the way the media will, "LeBeau is the greatest there has ever been. I can't wait to see what he comes up with next year when the injury riddled roster is improved by the draft and free agency. Give this man a team to work with and the sky's the limit."

Return to Stillers Talk