Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Ravens Postgame Analysis & Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Ravens Postgame Analysis & Grades

Postby StillMill » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:22 am

http://stillers.com/Article/View/bb50ca ... 4f9e2af967 has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Ravens Postgame Analysis & Grades

Postby StillDodger » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:06 am

Maybe those rulings late in the game were the "karma" of Tomlin interfering with the kick returner........

I have a HUGE problem with that "lost helmet" rule..... The rule shouldn't be enforced the split second after a runner's helmet comes off..... (It should be enforced only after a voluntary action after losing the helmet.) This rule will encourage helmet hits like this in future games, expressly to save touchdowns in goal line situations. This rule is even more retarded than the tuck rule. And will likely INCREASE the incidence of head injuries. Especially to running backs, in which helmet-to-helmet hits are deemed legal.

And am I the only one who saw that 2-pt conversion as the defender making contact w Sanders PRIOR to the ball arriving, without even attempting to make a play on the ball? (Someone show me a link to a view of the play where there was space between Sanders and the defender, until the ball arrived. This would refute what I saw on that play.) I think the defender actually intended to take the flag, to avoid a successful conversion in exchange for a mulligan on another play. Although that doesn't mean the Steelers would have scored on the next play had the Sanders play been flagged.... It would have been a one-yard 2-pt conversion attempt, which still has a high probability of failure. But it's not easy to catch a football right after being contacted by a defender.... Maybe Larry Fitzgerald makes that catch, but not many others.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:35 am

Typical spot on analysis from Mill. Living in the middle of Ravens land I have rarely seen the Stillers this year, but was fired up for a sweep of that gang. My quick hits: Still amazed that they looked as though they had no plan at all in the first half. Following the intensity they displayed against the so-so Lions and the typically bad Clowns, one would think they would continue that play against the Poebirds. Don't know why but Ben looks as slow as a street paver these days. Tomlin said he always watches jumbotron on returns as to why he was standing on the field. From my perspective he seems to be totally confused during games looking around as if to ask "why am I here"? Is it just me or must I always hold my breath during any Stillers special teams play? Seems we always give up chunks of yards. Have nothing to add regarding the sixth grade playground field goal foibles and certain I heard the reaction from all of the 'Burgh down here. I was apoplectic watching Keisel drop in pass coverage and wave at the ball like a mini-golf windmill. Other than Bell, my man Miller, and some good looks from Brown, who did anything? I know living in the past ain't good, but we need a Hines type WR and do not understand why we are not seeing the 6'-5" Moye out there? My God aside from Cothc @ 6'-1 everyone else is under 6'! I saw Ben throw at least 3 passes in the dirt and several yards in front of the receiver. I know what has been said about Beacham here, but he did a great job against Thuggs. Tired of hearing about how great he is from the announcers, but I guess since Saint Lewis is now doing "analysis" with ESPN he is the heir apparent. Pretty much over this year with little hope going forward I now will be subjected to the rantings down here in Baltimore about how they are back in the hunt, blah, blah. I wish this game against the Poes was at the end of the season for a little late season excitement.

Practice Squad

Postby 2016SBChamps » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:50 pm

StillDodger wrote:And am I the only one who saw that 2-pt conversion as the defender making contact w Sanders PRIOR to the ball arriving, without even attempting to make a play on the ball? (Someone show me a link to a view of the play where there was space between Sanders and the defender, until the ball arrived. This would refute what I saw on that play.) I think the defender actually intended to take the flag, to avoid a successful conversion in exchange for a mulligan on another play. Although that doesn't mean the Steelers would have scored on the next play had the Sanders play been flagged.... It would have been a one-yard 2-pt conversion attempt, which still has a high probability of failure. But it's not easy to catch a football right after being contacted by a defender.... Maybe Larry Fitzgerald makes that catch, but not many others.

I agree. The DB's contact made Sanders to lose his balance. If he did make that catch, he would been a hero for making a tough catch even with the DB all over him. The Steelers continue to perform dismally in the first halves. Overall, it was not a bad team effort against a team that played their hearts out at him.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:05 pm

And now there's nothing left but spite and vitriol, finding which teams I hate more to root against each Sunday. Fuck.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SteelThatDon'tRust » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:33 pm

StillDodger wrote:And am I the only one who saw that 2-pt conversion as the defender making contact w Sanders PRIOR to the ball arriving, without even attempting to make a play on the ball?

If Ike had been covering, it would have been raining flags. Infuriating. Still, Sanders should have caught the damn ball. Hit him in the hands. How Ben got the ball in there in the first place is beyond me. Agree a tough catch and should have been placed a bit more on the outside, but still...

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Old Fuckface Rooney could not help himself and just had to veer off point and get political. Someone forgot to tell him that it was a football game and not the 2012 Democratic Convention. If I were Rooney I would have stated thankfulness that Pittsburghians have not yet run his scrawny castle dwelling ass out of the burgh

Rodney stated pre-game that Pola at times is a liability to the defense when he freelances his way out of assigned duties. He did that numerous times last night - resulting in big plays for the Rats. Dick needs to recognize this and be a fucking coach

Sick of Adams - cut his sorry ass tomorrow and put in the Gatorade boy. Tomlin showed himself to be an imposter. Fire his ass and we will watch he and Danny boy drift off into the sunrise headed for Ireland

Grizzled Veteran

Postby StillDodger » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:41 pm

SteelThatDon'tRust wrote:
StillDodger wrote:And am I the only one who saw that 2-pt conversion as the defender making contact w Sanders PRIOR to the ball arriving, without even attempting to make a play on the ball?

If Ike had been covering, it would have been raining flags. Infuriating. Still, Sanders should have caught the damn ball. Hit him in the hands. How Ben got the ball in there in the first place is beyond me. Agree a tough catch and should have been placed a bit more on the outside, but still...
Ike is one of the most overrated DBs I've ever seen.... And sorry, most of the flags I've seen on him have been the correct call. ... Heck, he gets away with stuff that should have been flagged.

It seems like if any of the Steeler DBs gets flagged questionably, it's Ryan Clark. But more due to how hard he hits than anything else.

My complaint about the non-call on that 2-pt conversion attempt had nothing to do with how Steeler DBs get flagged, or how any other DBs get flagged..... I just thought it was a slam-dunk PI infraction. And thought Sanders was treated unfairly because of that. (I'm NOT a Sanders fan, by the way. He's an awful blocker, and seems to dog it at times.)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:56 pm

In general, the lack of execution on this team, from multiple players, and coaches, is just beyond alarming. It's like we're one of the second rate franchises. It's like people don't care. It's your job!

They spend more time working on their celebration dances than on their craft.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:00 pm

I doubt that Jarvis Jones is ever better than Harrison but watch Colbert give him a Big LaMarr contract... I just don't like his build--it is a thinner build that looks to lack power in the lower body. If he were faster that might not matter, but he is dogshit slow. Last night was completely underwhelming, but damn Worlids... will the Steelers be smart enough to possible move him to the right, and cut the big Loafer? If Worlids is a bust next year... what would be the difference except saving millions in salary cap?
I am still afraid that the Steelers will go a useless 8 and 8. Colbert and Tomlin have proven that they can't draft for shit together and waiting later in the draft is not what they need to do. Lose the rest of these worthless games...

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Once again the team wasn't ready to play in an important game. Sleep walking through the first half, then the only thing that seems to work is the no huddle. Ben has stepped it up, but as I have stated before, his championship days with us are over unfortunately. At least we are not getting the man killed like earlier in the year.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:39 am

Pommah wrote:In general, the lack of execution on this team, from multiple players, and coaches, is just beyond alarming. It's like we're one of the second rate franchises. It's like people don't care. It's your job!

They spend more time working on their celebration dances than on their craft.

That is coming down from Danny Boy

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby bubbybrister » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:22 am

PG by the looks Dan Rooney, in the thanksgiving wishes promo spot, I don't think you'll have to wait long to dance on his grave. He looks like golem.

Mill highlighted the two of the guys who drove me the most crazy last night. First is Ike. Too often this year he seems to just quit on plays. The deep ball to Smith Thursday, multiple times vs Detroit, and at the end of the NE game we've seen him lollygag down the field after getting beat. Where's the accountability that Tomlin's always preaching?

The other player who pissed me off is Sanders. What is the deal with players these days, particularly receivers, who drop a pass then lie on the field like they've been shot by a sniper? Only to miraculously return to dance and prance around like a Tennessee faggot after each subsequent catch. Are we suppose to think what steel city grit and determination he's showing? Enjoy the FA market Manny. Now with the season over, hopefully we can see Wheaton and Moye get some serious PT and Manny can go nurse his sprained labia.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:40 pm

brister I will give you one shot at taking back that comment. I am not in the least interested in vanquishing opponents by hoping for their death. I would rather people come to their senses. I also believe that true hatred is when you deny someobnes existance - and In Danny Boys case - it is obvious that I do not

Sanders has always been a prima Donna so I am with you there. Remember last year when he had PMS? Fuck Sanders! I really hope we get to see what Moyes has

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby bubbybrister » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:49 am

PG, I don't actually believe you wish anyone harm with your comments. In fact, I believe many of your statements are tongue-in-cheek as was mine meant to be about Rooney. Perhaps it was a bit harsh.
The frustration of this season is turning us against each other. Let's all join together and cheer for the tanking of the rest of the season. It's time for a house cleaning and the start of a new chapter for our team.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:27 pm

And now we may actually lose a draft pick because of Tomlin's sideline bullshit last week. Sweet.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby StillDodger » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:30 pm

isfry wrote:And now we may actually lose a draft pick because of Tomlin's sideline bullshit last week. Sweet.
And the would-be pick will become a potential HOF'er...........

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:06 pm

isfry wrote:And now we may actually lose a draft pick because of Tomlin's sideline bullshit last week. Sweet.

the combination of the terrible on field performance of his team and his actions putting a draft pick in jeopardy, should result in his firing. :sushootem:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby StillDodger » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:55 am

I watched the KDKA clip where Tomlin allegedly steps toward the field...... Although I think proof of motive is inconclusive, Tomlin should still be disciplined for negligence...... There were no other bench players or coaches even close to the play.

Whatever discipline Tomlin receives from the league I will live with, even if it includes loss of a draft pick. If nothing else this should send a clear warning to the league to avoid such chicanery. Even if it seems unintentional.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:20 pm

I don't know. Seemed pretty intentional to me. Especially based on his reaction. It didn't seem like genuine surprise but rather the shit-eating grin of a kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar...

Next

Return to Stillers Talk