Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Brownies Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Brownies Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:48 am

Stillers-Brownies Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Brownies Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby Pommah » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:44 am

Not a quality team but a win is a win at this point. I did not get to see the game, but it is great to hear that the O-line protected Ben, who did a lot of quick passes. I cannot believe there is not a connection, as has been speculated on this site for some time.

Worilds. I've liked that kid, maybe because I like the Hokies. Good to hear he had a good game, but you know how this is going to play out. We drafted him, rarely played him on his cheap rookie contract. He plays it out, then goes to another team and we are stuck with big-buck Woodley. Reminds me of another defensive end to linebacker conversion project named Mike Vrabel. We sat the guy for four years while playing Jason Gildong. Then off to the Patriots where it turns out he's a total stud. Can't blame Dick for that, he wasn't DC back then, but I will be so pissed if history repeats on this one.

In fact I wonder how many players we drafted and let go who are now starters for other teams. Particularly on O-line. We lost Urbik to Buffalo over Ramon Foster. Shipley is starting for the Ravens. I wonder how many more are out there? Anybody got time to investigate?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:39 pm

Nice win. Good wrap-up Mill. I (like Stilldodger on another thread) was dismayed by the lack of a game thread for this one, along with the overall lack of chatter and production on the site the last couple of weeks. As for Worilds. Great game. Maybe we should try LaMarr over at LOLB when (if) he gets that pesky cramp out of his calf.

Nice to see some actual blitzing at times in this game, although I felt (as usual) it could have been done more often. Campbell, or Weeden, or any NFL QB, really, will be able to find open guys with 6-8 seconds. We don't seem to have the personnel for a consistent four man rush. Some help from LB's and DB's should be sprinkled in more often.

This is also the second game in two weeks that Ike got LIT UP by a #1 when he had little or no help over the top all day. I know Ike is our #1 DB, but when it comes to the Calvin Johnsons (and apparently the Josh Gordons) of the world, everybody needs a little safety help now and again. I could be wrong, but it appears that this is partly a result of our ILB shortcomings. When Pola consistently has to play LB/DB hybrid (as he has much of this year, it seems), it leaves Ryan Clark all alone as the center fielder, which is troublesome enough. Then, when he has to make a call on whom to help, I guess he just consistently helps Gay or someone on the other side of the field (or nobody.) I haven't examined film or anything, just my gut saying there is more to Ike's recent numbers than just Ike.

Overall enjoyable win (except for the garbage points - that infuriates me). Thursday the season is on the line...again.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:17 pm

They're definately going to have to address their defensive backfield when playing stud WR's. They contained Gordon much better when we had extra DB's in coverage. Ike was giving him way too much cushion for most of the game. Maybe he trusts Clark as much as I do?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Well beating the Browns is the equivalent of banging the fat chick. Feels good at the moment, but when it is all over, you don't really feel better about yourself.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:32 pm

pinpon wrote:Well beating the Browns is the equivalent of banging the fat chick. Feels good at the moment, but when it is all over, you don't really feel better about yourself.

:suplusone:

She's a little thinner than she was last year though. :supimpin:

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Tonydesal » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:17 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:
pinpon wrote:Well beating the Browns is the equivalent of banging the fat chick. Feels good at the moment, but when it is all over, you don't really feel better about yourself.

:suplusone:

She's a little thinner than she was last year though. :supimpin:

Yeah, and she finally shaved her mustache

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:35 pm

The most surprising aspect of the game was how effective the O-line was. The Brown's D-line grades out pretty well yet our makeshift unit had their best game of the season in pass pro. I understand the quicker release plays into it, but I saw very little push into our backfield on nearly every snap. I will have to go back and re-watch it when I go home tonight and focus on the O-line. Are they actually improving this much or did the Brownies just play a shit game?

Mill, your comments about Worilds are dead on. Have we wasted this guy’s talents on the wrong side all this time? We need to see a few more games before we can make any real determination IMO.

We were all so frustrated when the Steeler's re-signed Gay, yet he has probably been the most consistent DB on the roster. Also, I will be re-watching the play of Heyward and Hood tonight. They're both starting to resemble NFL caliber linemen recently. I felt this unit was the weakest link early in the season, but that's no longer the case. No sir. That honor belongs solely with our free safety. If we actually make the playoffs, I hope we go to Denver so he's off the field. It's been a nice ride, but he's gotta go.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:46 pm

Bell dropped one pass and caught a couple others. This guy appears to be dynamic catching the ball after a block and release. Would like to see Haley and Ben use him more like that.
Haley's offense should be quieting all the doubters if they (doubters) had any idea what is happening on the football field.
Wish LeBeau would use Ike not on the number 1 but to remove one of the other recievers for sure. He seems to be getting beaten too regularly and if we get to the playoffs we cant let others play pitch and go to Ikes side of the field.
Make no mistake, the Brownies have a VERY GOOD D. It may be a lot better than the Cravens

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:58 pm

I liked the game plan. Liked the intensity. The hustle. I saw many underachieving types like Heyward and Worilds come alive. If they start to believe they can shoulder the responsibility - then this team may contend. Obviously they are going to exceed my 4-12 prediction. They look like a different team

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:48 am

They obviously won't attain my 12-4 prediction, either, PGH, but I like the way they're trending. Tomlin better have them disciplined and focused on Thursday cuz the Rats are drowning, desperate, and at home where they have played better.

Return to Stillers Talk