Register

Board index » Stillers Talk »

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Postby PalmerSucks » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:52 am

Grizzled Veteran

Re:

Postby Pommah » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:57 am

I like your article Palmer and would like to add two key points.

1. The Rooneys do not have control of the organization like they once did. Since 2008 they had to bring in minority owners, and I believe the Rooney family owns less than 50% of the franchise, though they hold the largest share. So they don't have full say in everything anymore.

2. Art II was a lawyer for 20+ years, unlike his father Dan who I believe never did anything but work for the Steelers.

I think this is leading Art II to have to think he has to prove he knows his stuff about football, and also, he has to keep the minority owners reigned in. Doubtless they think they can all run a football team; after all, they are all rich and had success running some other type of business. We all know that makes you qualified to run a football team; just ask JerJones, Dan Snyder, Ziggy Wulf, et. al.

My point is, it's not just one owner anymore. It seems to me management decisions have not been as smooth since 2008 when other voices came into the ownership group. Art II probably has a much tougher job than his old man had, and it probably didn't help that the old man went off to Ireland.

Seasoned Veteran

Re:

Postby fred » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:13 am

The comment above and your article have a ring of truth. I add to that , that Tomlin's small management mistakes imply that someone else is playing decision maker. Somehow I get the feeling that Colbert is Tomlin's boss, not the other way around. Many of these draft flops are not Mr T's.

Return to Stillers Talk