Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Ben Trade Rumors

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Ben Trade Rumors

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:24 pm

What do you boys on Stillers.com think about this rumor, now refuted by Roethelisburger?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Ben Trade Rumors

Postby Pommah » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Methinks they doth protest too much

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:42 pm

LenSherwood wrote:What do you boys on Stillers.com think about this rumor, now refuted by Roethelisburger?

I Believe he asked for a trade. My thinking is the following :

If you had a job where you get paid based on results and you know

1) The "veterans" are either about to retire or not performing like they used to

2) The company ( Team ) does not have money ( cap space ) to improve it quickly

3) Your boss ( head coach ) didn't produce ( develop ) talent since taking charge

4) Your contract is up in 2015... You either extend or go somewhere else...

5) With the above situation you think that the team is going down, your contract is up soon....

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

I would ask for a trade. And I think that Ben did also...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Ohio wrote:
LenSherwood wrote:What do you boys on Stillers.com think about this rumor, now refuted by Roethelisburger?

I Believe he asked for a trade. My thinking is the following :

If you had a job where you get paid based on results and you know

1) The "veterans" are either about to retire or not performing like they used to

2) The company ( Team ) does not have money ( cap space ) to improve it quickly

3) Your boss ( head coach ) didn't produce ( develop ) talent since taking charge

4) Your contract is up in 2015... You either extend or go somewhere else...

5) With the above situation you think that the team is going down, your contract is up soon....

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

I would ask for a trade. And I think that Ben did also...

Yeah Ohio, I think I took issue with you prematurely about this topic in your other thread. I don't like the way this looks and I have a sneaky suspicion you might have been right all along... :?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:10 pm

It also seems pretty clear that he doesn't like Haley one bit. Which is understandable. That guy has been a drama queen wherever he has gone. Maybe this rumor was leverage to get rid of Haley next season also... but Ohio you are probably right in that it is deeper than that. This team around him isn't going anywhere soon and his window will close by the time that they can put talent around him again.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 am

Crucible-steel-kid wrote:
Yeah Ohio, I think I took issue with you prematurely about this topic in your other thread. I don't like the way this looks and I have a sneaky suspicion you might have been right all along... :?

Well Crucible the world is a nice place because people see things differently and, most important, they keep changing their point of views. Otherwise we would be full of pyramids and still be writing on banana papers...

LenSherwood wrote:It also seems pretty clear that he doesn't like Haley one bit. Which is understandable. That guy has been a drama queen wherever he has gone. Maybe this rumor was leverage to get rid of Haley next season also... but Ohio you are probably right in that it is deeper than that. This team around him isn't going anywhere soon and his window will close by the time that they can put talent around him again.

Len, it is a good point. But I will be more direct. At 33 Tony Romo signed a 7-year / 120 Mil deal. Joe Flacco 6 - yr / 120 mil...

Do you think that Ben isn't looking for something like this ? Or do you think that Ben will sign a SB deal like Brady ( 3 yr / 33mil).

I'll be very honest. I loved the player. I was so happy when we drafted him in 2004 and I was amazed by his playing style until... Well until the stinker at the SB. Then I started looking at him more carefully. He has slowed down a lot. He is taking a lot of hits. He still makes rookies mistakes ( holding the ball too long, poor clock managment, poor use of timeouts).

Roethlisberger outside football? He looks like somebody I would never want to be close to. Drama queen, the bike accident, the "rapes"...

Just compare. Do you remember something similar regarding Eli Manning or Philip Rivers ? I don't.

His contract is not about the Roethlisberger player as much as the Roethlisberger jack*ss drama queen it's all about me me me.

Maybe it is also about getting rid of Haley. But I truly believe it is about the money. He will want more. I don't even know if it will be more worrying the amount of money or the years involved. 7-year like Romo? Ok, Jerry Jones will not be involved...

Most importantly this year it is loaded of QBs. Good chance that is going to be stronger than the 1984 class. And, honestly, after seeing the Patriots score 55 on us, who believes that we can do something this year ?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:28 am

Tomlin is a players' coach. Players' coaches don't last when the talent thins out; they lose control if the remaining stars aren't hardasses who reign in everybody else. We had guys like Hines, Aaron Smith, James Farrior, James Harrison, who set the example by working hard and busting butts. Who does that now? Ben has never filled that role, wasn't even elected a team Captain until 2008 (whereas a guy like Tommy Maddox was elected Captain as soon as he got the starting job). Instead guys like Woodley are given huge contracts to loaf. You think players don't notice that stuff? Once that culture is lost, ain't no getting it back without changes at the top. And the top on an NFL team includes the QB.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:23 pm

Well said Pommah and Ohio! I agree with everything you guys said.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:24 pm

Remember when he went on TV to defend himself against the rape allegation and he was rocking the mullet?! Looked like slime bag supreme!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:58 pm

Ohio-- I totally agree on Ben. I soured on him too, especially after the incidents with the women and there has been a lot of discussion about what an ass he is--arrogant and obnoxious. And yes I can't think of Rivers or Manning ever having to pay a settlement to someone due to a date rape... But on the field, you are dead on--that Super Bowl indicative of someone who was regressing when he should have matured and become more disciplined. He just cannot match the elite QB's consistency. You know damn well that he is going to throw a horrible interception or lose a fumble at the worst time, or not throw the ball away instead of taking a sack.
Well this team is a train wreck right now... argue over the fine points of why that is, but it is.

PalmerSucks has a bit different take on this issue--that seems plausible too. I am increasingly questioning the Rooney's ownership and little Artie sure looks somethign like Dan Snyder from what you read about him.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:10 pm

A Link for all of you :

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... 20m-a-year

I wonder if some journalist reads this site... Well,, anyway....

75 mil / 3-year ??? Where do they think we find the cap space ?

Just a quick reminder... With the new CBA QBS likes Wilson get 1 milion per year for the first 3 years...

Just saying...

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:15 pm

I agree with Len that any of this shit was more likely designed to accelerate Haley's departure than it was to indicate any real desire on Ben's part to leave. My guess is he will sign a deal in the range of three years to the tune of 30-40 mil. I also feel inclined to point out that Wilson was an anomaly. Just because one or two out of 100 highly touted college QB's makes it (for a few years, at least) does not make it a done deal. The idea that we should trade Ben or let him go because we could just pick up a franchise QB early in the draft flies in the face of the entire history of the league and drafting. A bird in the hand...

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:19 pm

Furthermore, the article states:

"That would put him in the same company as Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco.

(Brees signed a five-year, $100 million deal in 2012 when he was 32. And both Rodgers and Ryan signed extensions that paid them more than $20 million a season. Big Ben also has three Super appearances, none of the others have more than one.)"

I disagree with anyone who says that Ben is not a better QB than Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan. Period. As ridiculous as these numbers may be that all these guys get paid to play a kids' game, that's the money they get, and I would much rather have Ben than certainly Ryan or Flacco.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:10 pm

And now Rappaport and Silver report at halftime during the Colts' game that Ben will seek a trade at the end of the season and that Colbert is personally at the Clemson game right now, scouting Tajh Boyd. What the hell do I know?

In other news, you'll all be glad to know that Steelers' inside sources tell Rappaport that Tomlin's job is safe...

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby bubbybrister » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:44 am

isfry wrote:And now Rappaport and Silver report at halftime during the Colts' game that Ben will seek a trade at the end of the season and that Colbert is personally at the Clemson game right now, scouting Tajh Boyd. What the hell do I know?

In other news, you'll all be glad to know that Steelers' inside sources tell Rappaport that Tomlin's job is safe...

I think this could be good news. You often see a coach get canned at the end of the year after being given a vote of confidence. How can Momlin keep his job if we only win 4 or 5 games?

I also think the public scouting of first round QBs, Boyd tonight as well as Bridgewater earlier this year, is bringing out Ben's diva attitude. Reminds me of Jay Cutler in Denver when he demanded a trade because of the rumors that Denver was gonna bring in some other QB (I think it was Matt Casel).

I'm a fan of Ben despite his piece-of-shit off the field reputation. The things he's able to do behind the worse line since France's Maginot can't be over-looked. But, he's definitely lost a step and if they could get some value for him, I'd be OK with letting him go. Trade him to Arizona for Patrick Peterson and Carson Palmer (just for the laugh factor of the fury of PalmerSucks that will be unleashed). Then with our first pick, bring us Johnny Football.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:51 pm

I personally believe the whole thing is a bunch of bullshit. The whole term "inside sources" has become such a joke. These rumors can get started so easily by any pinhead within the organization or some media hack with an Ipad. Ben is where he wants to be. If anyone goes, it's Haley.
:sushootem:

Colbert has been scouting numerous college games since he's been here, but since the Steelers are losing his every move is under the microscope by the media.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:52 pm

Sorry guys - told you a month ago that I thought this was a good idea. I am not hearing anyone come forward with vehemence to quash the rumour. I think this is a trial balloon and next year we just may see a dramatic shift. I would of course - rather see Ben stay and Dan Rooney get the FUCK out of Pittsburgh - denounce American citizenship and take up permanent residence in some fucking Irish castle where he can suck some progressives balls in the privacy of his own dungeon, but it will prolly be Ben who goes first.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SteelThatDon'tRust » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:06 am

Ben's denied it. Rooney's have denied it. Local beat reporters are attacking Rapoport's credibility on it (except for Wexell who is a known Ben hater), and even Jason La Canfora, Rapoport's own colleague at the NFL network has said the story is full of shit. Art may not be the brightest football mind, but he remembers the dark ages without Ben. Ben has lost some steam, but other than P. Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, which starting QBs are obviously better? Ben is only 31. Yes, he's lost a bit, but what is dragging his play down more? Ben being Ben or an offensive philosophy designed around Ben's weaknesses instead of this strengths, a completely shit o line, and continuous cast of midgets at WR? He gets a reasonable C3 and retires a Steeler. Too much pleasure is taken in doom and gloom on this site. Why does PG still root for the Steelers? The owners are and always will be liberals and will give to liberal causes, and support liberal issues and this in a city (not the county, but the in the city limits) that is liberal and supports liberal agendas 60 to 40 in almost every election. [I don't give a shit one way or another, I'm just pointing out how it is. The Rooney's could be communists or Christian fascists, it's about football for me.] Please go root for another team in line with your political views immediately. While you root for a team with conservative owners, Ben will be throwing TDs wearing black and gold.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:40 pm

Rust - I agree with you about Ben and the rumors. However, PG is a great example of why I like this site. I may not always agree with him, but I find his posts very entertaining nonetheless. If you don't like it don't read it. Just because PG vehemently hates Rooney's political views, it doesn't make him any less of a fan than you. Honestly, it seems to me that he is a lot more compassionate about this team than you are.
:yes:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SteelThatDon'tRust » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:22 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:Rust - I agree with you about Ben and the rumors. However, PG is a great example of why I like this site. I may not always agree with him, but I find his posts very entertaining nonetheless. If you don't like it don't read it. Just because PG vehemently hates Rooney's political views, it doesn't make him any less of a fan than you. Honestly, it seems to me that he is a lot more compassionate about this team than you are.
:yes:

All fair points. But I'm not the one pointlessly bringing politics into the thread. He's not less of a fan. He may very well be a bigger fan. He is probably more passionate about the team than I am. That doesn't mean he doesn't think crazy things. I also have no doubt he'll be along shortly to call me a liberal piece of shit or something similar. There was another thread where he said he was having a hard time rooting for the team because of the Rooney's political activities involving the team. That's silly. I could care less about that. By the way, did you mean passionate or compassionate as typed?

Next

Return to Stillers Talk