Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Raidas Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Raidas Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby Ohio » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:08 am

isfry wrote:Yes, because if there's anything that has remained solid and dependable it has been our ability to identify and procure quality, reliable roster choices through the draft...

:(

isfry I agree with you that our drafts with Colbert and Dumblin are only wasted picks. But we will make changes. Times are differente. There is much much more pressure now. Bradshaw has been critized in Pittsburgh even after the Rings. It is not like Ben or Dumblin will get a free pass. It is only a matter how much sucking and how long. I prefer to suck terribly one year and be back in a couple. Otherwise it will be those 8 - 8, 9-7/7-9 no playoffs or one an done kind of stuff. People was actualy mad during the first home game. If we go 3-13 there will be major changes

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:19 pm

Maybe you're right Ohio but the Steelers have a much longer track record of NOT being able to pick QB's than pick them. Don't forget all the 4-5 round draft picks where we picked QB's, like Dixon, and Tee Martin when both Marc Bulger and TOM BRADY were still on the board. We had JOHNNY UNITAS in training camp and let him walk. We picked Terry Hanratty #2 one year and then Bradshaw #1 the next. Mark Malone with a #1 pick. Traded for David Woodley, made him the highest paid player on the team, total bust. Passed over DAN MARINO in the draft. Kordell used up a good #2 pick. Dennis Dixon, Tee Martin, Brian St. Pierre, Omar Jacobs, and Landry Jones, all #5 picks, just to get a BACKUP quarterback when most teams just trade for a yeoman (ala Gradkowski, Batch) to fill that role.

Picking Roethlisberger against this backdrop was almost a fluke! Everybody knew it was a good QB draft year with Eli Manning and Phil Rivers in the mix.

I'm afraid if we do the just keep drafting til we find a winner strategy, we'll be more like the Browns than we care to admit.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:11 pm

Ohio wrote:
isfry wrote:Yes, because if there's anything that has remained solid and dependable it has been our ability to identify and procure quality, reliable roster choices through the draft...

:(

isfry I agree with you that our drafts with Colbert and Dumblin are only wasted picks. But we will make changes. Times are differente. There is much much more pressure now. Bradshaw has been critized in Pittsburgh even after the Rings. It is not like Ben or Dumblin will get a free pass. It is only a matter how much sucking and how long. I prefer to suck terribly one year and be back in a couple. Otherwise it will be those 8 - 8, 9-7/7-9 no playoffs or one an done kind of stuff. People was actualy mad during the first home game. If we go 3-13 there will be major changes

I certainly hope you're right, Ohio. You have been talking about one bad year sacrificed for the sake of the next decade since halfway through the preseason, it seems. I didn't want to see the writing on the wall. I am forced to begrudgingly agree with you now, as far as what WOULD BE best for the team. Whether that is actually what happens is still up in the air...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:28 am

isfry wrote:I certainly hope you're right, Ohio. You have been talking about one bad year sacrificed for the sake of the next decade since halfway through the preseason, it seems. I didn't want to see the writing on the wall. I am forced to begrudgingly agree with you now, as far as what WOULD BE best for the team. Whether that is actually what happens is still up in the air...

You know fry... We are 2 - 5. No chance we get a wildcard. They usually are gone with a 10 - 6 / 9 - 7 ( this year they can both easily go to the AFC West). Winning the AFC North ? Slight chance. Just because everybody sucks ( Yes I am talking about you Andy Dalton. And Yes we do not need to repeat it for you Mr Average Joe)

How Many chances would we have in the playoffs? Ok we could be extremely lucky and win it like the Ratbirds last year. But than again, we would need to be lucky in this stretch in the regular season and again lucky in the playoffs. It means we should win 11 of the 13 games remaining.

HOW DO YOU DO THAT WHEN YOU NEVER SCORE 30 POINTS IN A GAME ?
HOW DO YOU DO THAT WHEN YOUR DEFENSE CONTAINS TO 20 POINTS ( MORE OR LESS) BUT NEVER SHUTS DOWN ?
HOW DO YOU DO THAT WHEN THE FANS EXPECT THE WORSE FROM YOUR SPECIAL TEAM SINCE... WELL SINCE THE 2001 AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME ( DO YOU REMEMBER IT KORDELL? DO YOU REMEMBER IT COWHER ?)

Do you know how you do it ? It simple... YOU DON'T.

I am tired of suffering. I know. It 's hard and painful. To be honest with you I was rooting for the Steelers against the Ratbirds... But in order to achieve greater future success the time is now. We are in a wonderful position to pick in the first round. Extremely good. No chance is a Top 3 pick. But it can be a Top 5. In a draft loaded. I say ... Let's use this chance and get rid of some losers in the managment also.

Go Steelers...Well Suck Steelers... Well you got the point...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:39 am

The Steelers have already proven over the years that you don't need to draft high to have sustained success. We have witnessed teams like Cincy, Cleveland, the Raiders, etc., etc., continue to draft high year after year and still completely suck ass. The Lions have had a long string of high picks yet continue to fall short. I will never be able to root for a Steelers loss no matter what the circumstance. You play your fuckin' ass off for the whole season then see where the chips lie at the end - period.

:sucope:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:57 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:The Steelers have already proven over the years that you don't need to draft high to have sustained success. We have witnessed teams like Cincy, Cleveland, the Raiders, etc., etc., continue to draft high year after year and still completely suck ass. The Lions have had a long string of high picks yet continue to fall short. I will never be able to root for a Steelers loss no matter what the circumstance. You play your fuckin' ass off for the whole season then see where the chips lie at the end - period.

I hate to piss in your cornflakes, SoCal, but two of the first three underachievers you mentioned have already beaten the Steelers this season, and the third just hasn't gotten a crack at 'em yet...

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:08 pm

Pommah wrote:fry. Dude. Wow.

Worse than 1988? That team was 2-10 at one point. Bubby Brister at QB, 11 TD passes, 14 picks, 65 QB rating. Merril Hoge as the leading rusher with 700. Beat by the Super Bowl-bound Bungles 42-7.

Looks like we are on that path though. I live in New England and I am NOT looking forward to catching more shit from Pats fans. Look how crappy that team is but they manage to win due to their coach and QB.

I was thinking back to '88 and remembered that I actually wore a Louis Lipps jersey to school much of that year. How pathetic...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:53 pm

isfry wrote:
SoCal Stiller wrote:The Steelers have already proven over the years that you don't need to draft high to have sustained success. We have witnessed teams like Cincy, Cleveland, the Raiders, etc., etc., continue to draft high year after year and still completely suck ass. The Lions have had a long string of high picks yet continue to fall short. I will never be able to root for a Steelers loss no matter what the circumstance. You play your fuckin' ass off for the whole season then see where the chips lie at the end - period.

I hate to piss in your cornflakes, SoCal, but two of the first three underachievers you mentioned have already beaten the Steelers this season, and the third just hasn't gotten a crack at 'em yet...

Get back to me when they actually wiin something that matters.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:59 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:
isfry wrote:

Get back to me when they actually wiin something that matters.

You're absolutely right, SoCal. I'm just still bitter over last week's loss in Chokeland.

Previous

Return to Stillers Talk