Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Ravens Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Ravens Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:20 am

Stillers-Ravens Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Hall of Famer

Re: Stillers-Ravens Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Nice work, Mill. I agree with pretty much all of the grades. I also agree with the kudos to Shamarko "the shark" Thomas. He seems to have a real nose for the football, which was evident already in the preseason. Nice to see him getting some PT and making the most of it.

"Paulson - grabbed a low curl on the 1st play of the 2H. As he was already kneeling, he didn’t have the opportunity to cough it up. " Maybe my favorite line from the article.

I do have to beg to differ on one thing. You point out:
"HC - Allowed the game clock to run down to 0:03 at end of game, on 2nd down, before calling a TO and sending in Suisham to boot the FG. To me, if it’s not a 4th down FG, you call the TO around 11 seconds, just so that, if there’s a bad snap, you can actually call a TO and run another play before time expires. With only 3 seconds, a flubbed snap -- if it’s even recovered -- will easily chew up all 3 remaining tics of the clock."

I could be wrong, but I believe we only had the one timeout at that point. There was no option of calling another. Granted, some clock mismanagement up to that point resulted in our only having one, but I still think Coach made the right call at that point.

My only question, which I posed on the game thread, is why do we appear to be "spelling" Bell? Two weeks in a row (ESPECIALLY yesterday) he has looked effective and productive only to have Felix jones subbed in for him. Is it just for change of pace? Is it a conditioning issue, given the time off for injury he took for the first month? Is it purely to justify the acquisition of Jones? What gives?

All in all, a win over the Rats makes my Monday quite nice. Good job, boys!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:47 pm

One of Haley's better playcalling games. (it's all relative) However, I thought we got away from the running game too much after halftime. It seems to me that week after week the running game is much more effective when the offense is spread out, yet we rarely do it in favor of WR screens. I would rather see the ball in Bell's hands with open space than any of our WR's, with all due respect to Brown. I agree with isfry about Bell's limited touches and Ben needs to check down to the rookie stud more often when he is in trouble or design some pass plays to get him into open space.

As far as the D goes, why does Dick keep playing the CB's off the LOS the majority of the time? It's obvious to most of us that these corners are well-suited for bump and run and have been effecive doing it. Also, our LB's are too slow to react to opposing RB's and TE's catching short dumpoffs out of the backfield. QB's are releasing the ball quickly on us because Dick is allowing 5-7 yds of space for the WR's to get off the line. At least show the bump and run look pre-snap and mix it up. I don't think Troy is being very effective trying to find the gap and rush up the middle. He's more effective from the outside the tackles, unless he's leaping over the line like we have seen!

All and all it was a good game and a nice win. :subngtowl:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Nice win! However, it was nice that the other team was doing the bumbling and stumbling rather than us. I am sure, the Ratbirds think they gave us that game on a silver platter. Our D is just way too porous when it counts. Absolutely rare when we get pressure. Gladly take the win! Worried that we go to Oakland and play to their level.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:39 pm

One other thing, other than Pouncey, we have had no major injuries this year. If the injury bug starts biting this team could go south quickly! Hope we stay healthy!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:38 am

Several things That I didn't like in Mill article :

-Redman - If I am not wrong Mill appeared to be the first supporter of Redman when he scored several TD in the End Zone Drills some years ago. Now he kills the guy. By the way he got cut so this will stop his lines.

- Mill always critizes Sanders ( which will be as good as gone at the end of the season... ) and never spends a word regarding our #1 WR Antonio Brown. Brown who is supposedly the one that should be scoring TD when we get to the endzone. Only problem is ... He doesn't. Why do you think we are throwing the ball towards Moye ?

- In TE dept. he should have added Mike Adams. The guy played 5 snap at Tackle, 15 at TE and Mill sees it the other way aroun. Go figure.

- T Whimper plays 47 snaps out of 57... MIll Says " saw PT at RT when Gilbert gave way in the 1Q. Then got nicked up. Go figure. Inc ". How many more snaps did Mill need to make an evaluation ?

- McLendon plays 17 snaps out of 62. Mill : "got an arm on Rice to keep him out of the EZ, late 4Q. Was pretty active and got 3 solos in a solid effort. B " In this game 17 snaps were enough to grade him...

- V. Williams plays 18 snaps out of 62. Mill : " got a goodly amount of PT and had 2 solos and 1 assist. Shows some modicum of promise, but I have concerns about his instincts and nose for the football. C - "
Then again... This makes it even harder to understand. Why Whimper was not graded ?

Overall with the grades and analysis given to Lebeau it seems like Mill is either not watching our games or he is too biased to make a judgment.

Still Mill - D Very poor game analysis. Let's hope he improves next week.

Return to Stillers Talk