Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Ike Taylor going crazy

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Ike Taylor going crazy

Postby Ohio » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:33 am

I am not able to find the link... Anyway it is on CBS Newmaker: Ike Taylor at 3.10 he says that we have a TOP FIVE DEFENSE !!!

After Having heard this BS I will not say one positive word regarding this people.

I should Apologise to Mill. If they say this stuff they deserve to be punished and exposed.

Best way to see the video is this link http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... beyond-rg3

after the first video it is the third one to the left.

HOW CAN HE SAY OR EVEN THINK SOMETHING LIKE THIS ?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Ike Taylor going crazy

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:16 am

Ohio wrote:I am not able to find the link... Anyway it is on CBS Newmaker: Ike Taylor at 3.10 he says that we have a TOP FIVE DEFENSE !!!

After Having heard this BS I will not say one positive word regarding this people.

I should Apologise to Mill. If they say this stuff they deserve to be punished and exposed.

Best way to see the video is this link http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... beyond-rg3

after the first video it is the third one to the left.

Ohio asked: "HOW CAN HE SAY OR EVEN THINK SOMETHING LIKE THIS ?" and it's simple really...

He has either smoked way too much crack, smack or grass and doesn't truly realize the idiocy of the verbal diarrhea that is pouring out of his mouth... OR... he has taken one too many bitch slaps to the the noggin' and doesn't have any intelligence left to know that his team is at the bottom of the scrap heap of the league... sum'body needs to tell him to S.T.F.U. :sufu:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:30 am

Ohio wrote:I am not able to find the link... Anyway it is on CBS Newmaker: Ike Taylor at 3.10 he says that we have a TOP FIVE DEFENSE !!!

I'm not gonna defend our defense or Ike Taylor, but the Steelers' pass D IS ranked fourth in the league in YPG, according to the bean counters at NFL.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:34 pm

isfry wrote:I'm not gonna defend our defense or Ike Taylor, but the Steelers' pass D IS ranked fourth in the league in YPG, according to the bean counters at NFL.com.

Isfry Let's not play games.

If you say we are a TOP FIVE DEFENSE it means we are ELITE. It Means you control the game. It means you make plays. Our defense has slowed down some offenses. But they were able to stop only Geno Smith. A rookie QB who is having ups and downs.

If you want to show some numbers that say we are top five you will find it for a lot of teams in the league. You can see the points per game or yards por attempts or something else.

Reality is : Our defense didn't stop when it counted. They allowed several scores to the likes of the Vikes ( and a backup QB ). They allowed 26 points to the Bears and 16 to the Titans. Elite defense do not allow this many points.

If we want to say we have a standard defense and you want to rank it between 13 and 23 I have no problems with it. But it is not ELITE.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:21 pm

I don't think isfry is implying we have an elite defense or even a good one for that matter. Dick's bend but not break scheme leads the league nearly every year in this stat, but we've witnessed how little it really matters. Turnovers and red zone defense are what really matters and until we figure out how to take the ball away, the ypg don't mean shit.

I think the D will only improve this season as Wilson and Jones get more comfortable in the scheme. Once their knowledge catches up with their athletic ability they will be scary. Gay is playing better than I have ever seen him play and Cortez Allen is definately an upgrade over anyone else we've had opposite Ike. My main concern with this defense continues to be Ryan Clark. He just doesn't provide the necessary protection on deep routes against good offenses. Now that he is unable to launch himself with his arms tied to his side, recievers no longer have fear catching balls in the middle and over the top. We need a safety who can cover, not hit people. :surockin:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:21 pm

My response was not intended to support the contention that WE ARE A TOP FIVE DEFENSE. That's why I said, I'm not gonna defend our defense or Ike Taylor...
I was merely pointing out a possible answer to the question, "How could he say or even think something like this?"

While we are on the subject, tho, I don't believe our defense, especially not our pass defense, was our biggest problem during the four (or eight, or even 11 outta twelve) game skid. Look at the first four games this year, in particular.

Week One against the Titties: The pass defense allowed 125 yards and no TDs. Granted it was against Jake Locker, but those are good defensive numbers. Numbers that should win a game, actually. Contrast that with our offense, which turned the ball over twice and managed a measly 31 yards on the ground. Heck, our offense didn't get into the end zone until 2:30 left in the 4Q.

Week Two against the Bungles: The pass defense allowed 280 yards through the air but only one score. Our offense, again, turned the ball over twice and Ben was sacked twice for a loss of 17 yards.

Week Three against the Cubbies: The pass defense allowed 159 yards through the air and only one score. Ben threw two picks, one run back for 6 at the end of the first half. He also fumbled three times, losing two, and Felix jones added a lost fumble of his own.

Week Four against the Vikes: The pass defense allowed 238 yards and two scores. Purple Jesus had 140 yards on the ground and 2 TDs (one we all remember for the four missed tackles prior to the 60 yard sprint.) Ben threw a pick and lost a fumble. (the fumble was lost at the Minnesota 10 yard line with 19 seconds left in the game when we trailed by only seven, if you will recall.)

Week Six against the Jest (sic): The pass defense allowed 201 yards and no TDs, and got two picks (pronounced "gifts"). Say what you will about Geno Smith but he was 16-20 for 199 and 3 TDs the week prior against the Falcons, in Atlanta. Granted the Falcons D is "ranked" nineteen overall, and "ranked" 26th against the pass, but that sounds like where you want the Steelers' D ranked, and the numbers don't seem to bear it out in contrast.

So, through the first five games of the season the pass defense has allowed an average of roughly 200 yards per game and five points per game. That has been so, even though our own offense has managed a grand total of 305 rushing yards in those five games, giving the defense very short rests, and turned the ball over 11 times in that period, often giving the opponents short fields. I do concede that the number of pass yards, and even pass TDs allowed, is often skewed by the fact that, when a team is ahead they tend to run the ball, especially if they are able to have success at it, which most teams have been able to do against us. Maybe our pass D's numbers don't look so rosy if our offense had put some pressure on opposing teams to score more points.

I agree with you that our defense is not "elite". I just don't think it has been the problem. Maybe Ike should not look at rankings on NFL.com and open his mouth, but allowing an average of 200 yards passing and five points per game is pretty damn good through the first five games, in my opinion. If we could stop the run, hold onto the ball and run it consistently ourselves, we would be in much better shape.

Return to Stillers Talk