Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers

HOW LONG DO THE STILLERS SUFFER UNDER TOMLIN:

1 TO 5 YEARS
3
33%
6 TO 10 YEARS
0
No votes
11 TO 15 YEARS
0
No votes
HE'S A H.O.F. COACH
0
No votes
HE'S A GOAT AND NEEDS TO GO TODAY
6
67%
 
Total votes : 9
Grizzled Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:43 pm

I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:03 pm

I would never have thought that I would be sitting here and pondering this on September 17 2013, but here goes.

To have hired a guy like Tomlin to coach this team just to make a statement to the rest of the league over affirmative action has relegated our squad to a position of eating shit for the unforseeable future.

The last 2 H.C.'s that held that title at least played the game, and had some type of experience coming into the job from the perspective of being a player. Does Tomlin have playing experience - NO. Does Tomlin have the ability to judge talent and monitor results from each position and the ability to conduct personnel changes as needed - NO. Does Tomlin have a clue what the squad needs before the draft and arrange operations accordingly - NO.

That trade that the front office brokered that gave up a draft pick is coming back to haunt us. This simple example where even Coach Noll said "never again" should be evidence enough that the idiot knows jack shit about the business end of the game. Oh no however, we have to live by a socially acceptable rule of "minorities first" when interviewing for the H.C. spot while we have to live with a losing organization that is squandering opportunities. I hope all those that plunked down all that capital for season tickets are enjoying the social engineering that is destroying this team whilst "Mr. Dan Rooney" gallivants all over Ireland as Ambasador.

I would never have thought that I would be thinking that I actually miss the days of Bill Cowher and all of the wonderful controversies that went along with that leadership period, but that is exactly where I am just now. And for those that are thin skinned about race, do me a favor and spare me the argument that I don't want a black man to hold that position. I wouldn't care if our H.C. was a GAY FUCKING MARTIAN as long as we maintained a high level of quality, especially as much money that is involved in this league.

Grizzled Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 12:26 pm

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby StillDodger » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:21 pm

I think this team is about to go through an EXTENDED DOWN PERIOD..... Like what normally happens with the Bungles and Clowns....... I was PO'ed the moment I learned several years ago that the organization sucks up to political organizations that I think are bad for this country, and it seems like now the business is no longer totally focused on winning football.

Grizzled Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 12:26 pm

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby StillDodger » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:33 pm

My biggest distrust for Mike Tomlin is his reluctance to play rookies at positions that happen to be thin. And also being reluctant to try new wrinkles if the existing stuff doesn't work. Tomlin's biggest problem is he too often tries the same things and hopes for different results.

But this team's biggest problem in recent time has been GM Kevin Colbert. I cannot speak for others, but his performance over the past four years is now being realized in this declining team. Now I don't know how much the coaches put into the GM's decision making for player acquisitions, but Colbert's judgment of talent as of late has been amongst the absolute worst in the NFL. It is sad when a team is weak at several positions (DBs, OL), and the GM is unable to provide players who can fix the problem.

Tomlin has won a Super Bowl with a talented team..... I'm not yet one who is on the Fire Tomlin bandwagon..... But if Colbert cannot once again start bringing quality talent to this team, he's the one who must go.

Heck, the Dolts just plucked Trent Richardson from the Clowns....... This guy would have been a HUGE upgrade for the Steelers...... But once again, Kevin Colbert was missing in action.

Grizzled Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:43 pm

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:34 pm

StillDodger wrote:My biggest distrust for Mike Tomlin is his reluctance to play rookies at positions that happen to be thin. And also being reluctant to try new wrinkles if the existing stuff doesn't work. Tomlin's biggest problem is he too often tries the same things and hopes for different results.

But this team's biggest problem in recent time has been GM Kevin Colbert. I cannot speak for others, but his performance over the past four years is now being realized in this declining team. Now I don't know how much the coaches put into the GM's decision making for player acquisitions, but Colbert's judgment of talent as of late has been amongst the absolute worst in the NFL. It is sad when a team is weak at several positions (DBs, OL), and the GM is unable to provide players who can fix the problem.

Tomlin has won a Super Bowl with a talented team..... I'm not yet one who is on the Fire Tomlin bandwagon..... But if Colbert cannot once again start bringing quality talent to this team, he's the one who must go.

Heck, the Dolts just plucked Trent Richardson from the Clowns....... This guy would have been a HUGE upgrade for the Steelers...... But once again, Kevin Colbert was missing in action.


EXACTLY MY POINT... The rot starts from the top and goes down hill from there. If Tomlin was on point with trying to effect change as a change agent within the organization, the campaign to find a replacement for the GM would have already begun - albeit a bad idea to change horses mid stream in the middle of the season. I doubt if Tomlin even knows to begin looking for a replacement at the GM position, so the losing will go on indefinitely. The feeling of watching this team play at this piss poor level makes me sicker than what I can possibly describe in words.

Hall of Famer
User avatar
Posts: 1658
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:38 pm

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby PGHeaven » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:59 pm

I am on board with both of you. I have stated several times that the "rot" you refer to started STAT immediately following the Rooney appointment to an Irish cASTLE. I also believe that the symptomology of a PC organization has no damn place in football. I also believe that Colbert has his head up his azz when it comes to assembling talent

Practice Squad
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:21 am

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby Steelblud » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:53 am

The "rot" is all over the Steelers and it started a few years back when players thought they could take on management. Players that brought dissension, distrust and a generally bad work ethic to the once great Steelers. Talent does not equal ability when you are too busy whining to block or too busy tripping over yourself to catch, or missing tackles . We have players that want to play the game, and win the game and generally try their best, but there seems to be no synergy left to keep this team at the top. And that does come from bad drafting, bad coaching and players that lack discipline and the knowledge to win. It seems to me that the Steelers would prefer to lose their "leaders" and replace them with a low cost alternative. If that is the case then the Steelers are no longer a family, but just another money-hungry shitty republican corporation run by a bunch of clueless talking heads. I hope I'm wrong, but the numbers seem to support the worst. We need a leader.

Grizzled Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:43 pm

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:48 pm

PGHeaven wrote:I am on board with both of you. I have stated several times that the "rot" you refer to started STAT immediately following the Rooney appointment to an Irish cASTLE. I also believe that the symptomology of a PC organization has no damn place in football. I also believe that Colbert has his head up his azz when it comes to assembling talent


Haven, I give credit where credit is due and I remembered you posting that comment last year. The way you put that could not be improved upon so I used it. The rot starts at the top and moves down from there.

Steelblud wrote:The "rot" is all over the Steelers and it started a few years back when players thought they could take on management. Players that brought dissension, distrust and a generally bad work ethic to the once great Steelers. Talent does not equal ability when you are too busy whining to block or too busy tripping over yourself to catch, or missing tackles . We have players that want to play the game, and win the game and generally try their best, but there seems to be no synergy left to keep this team at the top. And that does come from bad drafting, bad coaching and players that lack discipline and the knowledge to win. It seems to me that the Steelers would prefer to lose their "leaders" and replace them with a low cost alternative. If that is the case then the Steelers are no longer a family, but just another money-hungry shitty republican corporation run by a bunch of clueless talking heads. I hope I'm wrong, but the numbers seem to support the worst. We need a leader.


As far as the Rooney "clan" goes, I can tell you that I am 100% certain that they are die-hard Democrats and that they have absolutely nothing in common with any type of conservative or Republican mindset. The fact that he is an official representative of the White House in Ireland and serves at the will of the President should give casual observers an idea about this relationship. The only thing that gives me any type of long term hope is that this team was founded on the premise that the ONLY goal is to win a Superbowl - that's it. We don't read about how many AFC Championship trophies we won, or how many runner up seasons we had. Most of the league knows us for having won 6 Superbowls, and we were the first ones to do it as well.

Grizzled Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 12:26 pm

Disclosure of Political Support is POISON to Any Organizatio

Postby StillDodger » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Up to our last Super Bowl, I never had any idea that the Steelers organization were in bed with a political organization. And I think this was also true with the players. I personally believe when any organization starts disclosing political interests, it changes the focus within the organization from "a common goal to be the best" to "why am I in an organization whose political support I oppose"......

I personally wouldn't have cared less had the Steelers supported the Democratic Party behind the scenes, as long as it was never disclosed publicly. (The same would be true had it been the Republican Party. I personally think the mindset that one political party has all the answers and the other is total scum is downright moronic. Too many people root for a political party like it's a God-damn sports team.) But since the disclosure, which I believe occurred around our last Super Bowl, this organization has not been the same. The fans see the organization differently. (I know a few Steeler fans who became EX-Steeler fans when they found out the organization supported Obama and the Democrats.) And the players see the organization differently. Such disclosure can kill the focus and competitive edge in players, if they're opposed to what the organization supports. (I think one big example was James Harrison, whose political stand opposes the Steelers organization.) If you have noticed, since that Super Bowl, it seems like the Steelers have never played with the same intensity as a team. The Steelers have stopped looking like the Steelers.

Just think of once-popular artists whose political disclosures soured their popularity. The Dixie Chicks maybe the biggest example.

Organizations should NEVER disclose political ideology or favoritism. For it de-unifies fan support and it de-unifies player focus and commitment. Such disclosure may have set this Steeler franchise back to the days prior to the Chuck Noll era. (And boy, I hope I'm wrong.)

Hall of Famer
User avatar
Posts: 1658
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:38 pm

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby PGHeaven » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Dodge and crucible you are spot on. The Rooney Rule is plain and simply affirmative action - a warped social engineering philosophy that has no place in football for sure - and yes - at least old man Rooney is die hard Democrat


Steelbud - nice try - but deceit will be recognized instantly on this site. We have been at this for a decade here. Soo - you are free to stay of course and try posting your bullshit - or you can go to that other site where trolls are worshipped

Grizzled Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:43 pm

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:38 pm

Remember this?

http://stillers.com/Article/View/c01876 ... 65fb86ed0e

No, this is not same team that was left behind six short years ago. Look how far we have fallen in the meantime.

Why is it so damn difficult to get a "warrior general" to take fu@#ing charge of this football team?

I say we start campaigning to reload this organization with responsible leadership A.S.A.P. GRRRRR........ :evil:

Stillers.com Team
User avatar
Posts: 4357
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:35 pm

is this the first year the Steelers celebrated "Hispanic Heritage Month"?

don't ever remember it before....you know, back when we focused on football and things like ....winning.

Practice Squad
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby wardXplex » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:58 pm

I think, perhaps, some are airing out their prejudices under the guise of caring about football.

Stay classy, yinzers.

Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:41 am

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby Ohio » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:04 pm

wardXplex wrote:I think, perhaps, some are airing out their prejudices under the guise of caring about football.

Stay classy, yinzers.


Ward I don't think so.

I didn't hear anybody complain about Tomlin when he was hired. I didn't hear anybody when he brought us to the Superbowl.

I'm hearing NOW after two lost seasons ( this one and last one ) and a very dark future in front of us.

WE WANT TOMLIN OUT. BUT WE ALSO WANT COLBERT OUT. IF POSSIBLE, HALEY AND LEBEAU SHOULD FOLLOW.

Do not play the race card. This has nothing to do with race.

It has to do with a lack of leadership, a lack of talent evaluation and, most important, a lack of talent development.

We are not staring at one horrendous season. What we season in front is much worse.

Let us stay focus here and hope that everything goes for the better.

Grizzled Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:43 pm

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:02 am

wardXplex wrote:I think, perhaps, some are airing out their prejudices under the guise of caring about football.

Stay classy, yinzers.


I knew without a doubt that the Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson race hustlers would chime in on this and attempt and fuck it all up. Why don't you quota boy race hustlers go and get a real fucking job producing something other than ghetto trash welfare kids and working the system? You got your boy in the White House, and that still isn't enough for your sorry asses. Go eat shit and barf on yourself. Nice try but no cigar Senor... :twisted:

Grizzled Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 12:26 pm

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby StillDodger » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:36 pm

I would be screaming for Tomlin's head if we sustained player talent and were losing in spite of that....... I stated elsewhere that Vince Lombardi would have a hard time winning with our current group of players....... The problem is Kevin Colbert's drafts have been maybe even worse than those by the Clowns' GM...... And that is scary, folks......

I also think Art II may have compromised the culture within this organization as well.... For reasons I stated above.

I just think even if we fire Tomlin and hire someone like Nick Saban as coach, if we continue to bring in crappy players, and our culture continues to rot, it won't matter.

I'm normally an optimist, but I see a very dark future for our Steelers. :cry:

Hall of Famer
User avatar
Posts: 1658
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:38 pm

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby PGHeaven » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:21 am

wardXplex wrote:I think, perhaps, some are airing out their prejudices under the guise of caring about football.

Stay classy, yinzers.


Nice try newbie - you can race bait if you wish - but you will be shot down immediately. It was The head honcho himself that brought politics right the fuck up onto the Super bowl podium. So now that he ushered in an era of lost focus he will reap our wrath. I am most angry with the top for what has happened. I do not care what Rooney's politics are - as long as he keeps it with him inside the voting booth - which he did not. And here we are - a team of aging one time stars and a group of lackluster uninspired rookies.

Grizzled Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:43 pm

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:32 am

thesteelhammer wrote:is this the first year the Steelers celebrated "Hispanic Heritage Month"?

don't ever remember it before....you know, back when we focused on football and things like ....winning.


wardXplex wrote:I think, perhaps, some are airing out their prejudices under the guise of caring about football.

Stay classy, yinzers.


Another thought that I had about all of this...

Particular demographics are good at:

hitting the ball with a wooden stick - guess what? YOU CAN HAVE THAT.
taking the ball and running up and down the gridiron hitting and avoid being hit - guess what? YOU CAN HAVE THAT.
taking the ball and putting it in the basket / hoop - guess what? YOU CAN HAVE THAT.
hitting the tennis ball and smacking it across the net - guess what? YOU CAN HAVE THAT.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.... Leave the business of running the country to competent adults that really know what the fuck they are doing and not just advocates for the made up victim class, okay? :sudancin:

Grizzled Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby isfry » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:49 pm

I don't personally care if the Rooneys regularly have threesomes with Ralph Nader and the Grand Master of the Klan, even if they air it out publicly. Nobody's political views are of concern to me, nor are mine of concern to this board. There are appropriate forums in which to voice such beliefs. I, for one, just don't believe this is one of them. I would sure like to see the Steelers get back to winning some football games and this board getting back to talking about how they might go about doing that. Just one fans opinion...

Practice Squad
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:48 am

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby StillBuda » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:18 pm

I wish they would go back and hire Russ Grim. I mean, how long does that guy have to be assistant head coach? I was disappointed when he got passed up for the job. The whole thing was really weird as I recall.

Grizzled Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:43 pm

Re: I THINK IT WAS A TERRIBLE MISTAKE...

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:53 pm

StillBuda wrote:I wish they would go back and hire Russ Grim. I mean, how long does that guy have to be assistant head coach? I was disappointed when he got passed up for the job. The whole thing was really weird as I recall.


In hindsight which is always 20/20, it probably would have been a much better decision than what we have here now. The big question is, how do we as suffering fans affect change within an organization that does not seem to care or listen to the voice of reason?

isfry wrote:I don't personally care if the Rooneys regularly have threesomes with Ralph Nader and the Grand Master of the Klan, even if they air it out publicly. Nobody's political views are of concern to me, nor are mine of concern to this board. There are appropriate forums in which to voice such beliefs. I, for one, just don't believe this is one of them. I would sure like to see the Steelers get back to winning some football games and this board getting back to talking about how they might go about doing that. Just one fans opinion...


Good point and this was noted. I remember a call 20 years ago on KDKA Radio that was late in the evening over the weekend when the caller pointed out that they knew of an individual that would buy a newspaper and throw out everything but the sports section and read it. They learned all that they needed to know about life and the world around them from that one section. At the time I summed that phone call as a total lark.

As time went on and I realized that the entire planet and relationships between others are totally based on politics it finally dawned on me the simple wisdom of that phone call. Winning teams hire and fire players in the pursuit of victory. If one individual is not getting the job done, another one is brought in to get it done. The same principle is done throughout societies expanded to embody every walk of life. Unfortunately, the squad that we love so much has an irresponsible owner that chose not to keep their political ideologies out of their business operations-I.E. Pittsburgh Steeler Football.

No, woe unto us, we had to listen to the senile old man praise our wonderful national leader on the podium of the Superbowl rather than offer that to the men who got the job done on the field. So, having observed this scenario the door was left wide open for me as a fan to berate all of these issues up to and including the affirmative action hiring of the total asshole coach that they got in there now.

'nuf said. :yes:

Next

Return to Stillers Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests

Don't be stingy, share: