Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Vikes Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Vikes Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:42 am

Stillers-Vikes Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Practice Squad

Re: Stillers-Vikes Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby 2016SBChamps » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:28 am

"Right now, you could say we're the worst team in the league," Roethlisberger said.
May be. Seems like our team is competing against the Jaguars for the "Worst Team in the League" title. Yeah Ben, you have also contributed to the losses by not making the right decisions and not playing like an 'elite veteran QB'.

Still Mill summed it up nicely, "Colbert and Momlin running this team into the ground with shoddy personnel decisions, and a complete lack of leadership and vision."

The Pats are not the same team that went 16-0 in 2007. They are not blowing away teams. But they are still winning the games due to great coaching and decision making.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Steelers4Tim » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:02 am

This is the thing.....we shouldn't have to fire Mike Tomlin. He should just step down. Mike, just go away, dude.

Practice Squad

Postby bigmoesteelers83 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:22 am

I really hope things can get turned around this year. We really need to get some turnovers and give the offense a short field once in a while. They can't be expected to drive 80-90 yards on every possession. The offense is showing some signs of life, but the team was let down by poor tackling by the defense.

TOMLIN SUCKS AND NEEDS TO GO! THE SOONER THE BETTER!

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby BoltX » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:29 am

Actually, I think Tomlin is better then this. He had Haleyforced upon him, and even if wanted, he cant get rid of DLB. His post game demeanor tells a story of a guy frustrated by... be patient, we'll get beetr, this playerwill work...

I DON'T KNOW what to think. THIS team looks pathetic in all phases.

Practice Squad

Postby bigmoesteelers83 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:37 am

BoltX wrote:Actually, I think Tomlin is better then this. He had Haleyforced upon him, and even if wanted, he cant get rid of DLB. His post game demeanor tells a story of a guy frustrated by... be patient, we'll get beetr, this playerwill work...

I DON'T KNOW what to think. THIS team looks pathetic in all phases.

I don't think Tomlin is better than this. He was asked after one of the losses (I don't recall which one) if he would step in if he needed to offensively or defensively. Well, he needs to do something and he has done nothing but talk talk talk. The end of the first half was indicative of his decision making. If you aren't going to try and score kneel on it. Nothing good could come from running the ball in that situation, but an awful lot of bad could have come from it.

He needs to go, but the Rooney's will stick with him. How bad does it have to get before they will make a move?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:15 am

Great article by Mill.

Totally agree on Ben, Bell, Brown... Well I totally agree on almost everything... Well pointed the useless and stupid spiking at the end of the game. Together with the end of the first half it makes you wonder how da f*ck do they prepare in the offseason and during the week. I mean the Patriots, Broncos, Bills and Eagles play a one-word no huddle. ONE WORD. And everybody knows his blocking assignments, route running,snap count, etc. etc. It is not like we need 50 of those... We just need 10 max for 2 minutes hurry-up no huddle situation. Is it so hard for people paid in the millions to plan it and execute it ?

Overall the offense did play well this game. We should keep in mind that it was against the Vikings and they were without their two top CB. But I would take 27 points anygame with our WRs and OLine.

Defense was just putrid. Not only they didn't have Turnovers. They allowed several big plays. Contrary to what I wrote during the game Jenning's TD is completely on Golden. He took an awful angle and turned a 15 yard in a TD. I don't know why they didn't Play Shamarko Thomas more. He played only in ST and not on Defense. ( Also Mill K. Wilson did not play defense at all. He only played in ST)

I don't Think that Tomlin or Colbert or Hailey or LeBeau are better than this. I know that stability is better over time. But with people that have the required qualities. This bunch of people do not anymore or in this situation. They cannot develop enough talent. They do not see where the game is going ( Bell might be a good RB but a RB doesn't deserve a 2nd round pick. If we had taken a TE we would already won a game minimum ). Tomlin was great after Cowher. But he is not able to develop players. Just look at what they said when they drafted Adams. A second rounder with " first round talent". I know what I'm seeing... I'm seeing a guy that is just pathetic. Who trained him ? Who choose him ? That person should be FIRED NOW

Practice Squad

Postby 2016SBChamps » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:01 pm

Steelers4Tim wrote:This is the thing.....we shouldn't have to fire Mike Tomlin. He should just step down. Mike, just go away, dude.

Yup, the Rooneys do not like to fire their coaches. I wish they would ask Tomlin to resign. Even the great tradition of having tough defense is fading away because Dick LeBeau's defense has become too predictable. Barring a miraculous come back, at the end of this season, 'house cleaning' must take place. The GM, HC, OC and DC positions have to be replaced.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:07 pm

2016SBChamps wrote:
Steelers4Tim wrote:This is the thing.....we shouldn't have to fire Mike Tomlin. He should just step down. Mike, just go away, dude.

Yup, the Rooneys do not like to fire their coaches. I wish they would ask Tomlin to resign. Even the great tradition of having tough defense is fading away because Dick LeBeau's defense has become too predictable. Barring a miraculous come back, at the end of this season, 'house cleaning' must take place. The GM, HC, OC and DC positions have to be replaced.

Oh no, we MUST be politically correct and allow an unqualified minority to destroy the team. Remember the "Rooney rule" which incidentally generated much in the way of N.F.L. publicity, we cannot allow something like the "Rooney rule" to be shown for what it really is - affirmative action by handing unqualified individuals more than what they can handle... :suahhbs:

Practice Squad

Postby 2016SBChamps » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:11 pm

Ben Roth has not been playing up to his potential. He has been playing more like a rookie than a seasoned veteran QB. They may have to find a new QB coach.

Practice Squad

Postby 2016SBChamps » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:20 pm

"Oh no, we MUST be politically correct and allow an unqualified minority to destroy the team."

I wouldn't go that far. Tomlin, has been a bad HC since last year. Mind you, he took the team to SB twice and won once. It took 14 years for Cower to give us a SB. In a span of 4 years, Tomlin took the team to two SBs. Rooneys kept Mike Noll too long too. The situation has absolutely NOTHING to do with Tomlin being Black. He is just not being able to manage a team that is lacking in talent. He is not tough on players, who are lazy and not performing up to their potential. Shame on you for bringing up Tomlin's race and minority status.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:08 pm

The Tribune Review diagrammed the play that Peterson to the end zone. No doubt Peterson is a top rate talent, but this play is laughable simple, many names for it, but it is a simple ISO play. But the thing that stand out is that Ziggy Hood and both ILB Timmons and whoever took Foote's place got manned blocked. There is no subtley to the play. You aren't confused, it is a pure inside lead block play. You are seriously f*cked if you can't stop this one. It means your talent sucks.

What are the Steelers now 20 something against the run? This means that they are going to get torched soon--they are going to have to play the safeties at almost linebacker depth.

Palmer Sucks says that the Steelers need to score 30 to win.. maybe 35...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:13 pm

2016SBChamps wrote:Ben Roth has not been playing up to his potential. He has been playing more like a rookie than a seasoned veteran QB. They may have to find a new QB coach.

A QB Coach ? You need a QB coach only for the mechanics. After 10 years in the league the problem with Ben is not Mechanics. Like Mill Said :

He doesn't hit the guy on the open field
He keeps the ball too long
He spikes the ball wasting useful downs ( this is on the OC also )
He just doesn't run anymore like he used. Everybody knows that he will NEVER run for a first down if is not on a designed play ( like last week )
He produces too many turnovers. Somebody may wonder what the rule is with Tomlin. He benched RBs for TO. He doesn't do anything about Ben.

2016SBChamps wrote:Yup, the Rooneys do not like to fire their coaches. I wish they would ask Tomlin to resign. Even the great tradition of having tough defense is fading away because Dick LeBeau's defense has become too predictable. Barring a miraculous come back, at the end of this season, 'house cleaning' must take place. The GM, HC, OC and DC positions have to be replaced.

Dont' be so sure. The fired Arians at the end of 2011. And to be fair he was not playing this poorly. Be sure that if we go 2 - 14 actions will be taken. Maybe not a "house cleaning" but expect at least one of the guys to be paying for it. I wouldn't be surprised if it is LeBeau "retiring" in order to save everybody else.

Still we have to see what or records will be and how we get it. Do not forget what one season did to the Colts and what they did. Nobody survived. Not even Manning...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:20 pm

I believe the term "rebuilding" is becoming increasingly obsolete in today's NFL. How many times have we seen teams turn it around in one season? There are obvious outliers with perennial losers such as the Raiders and the Jags, but for the most part teams are relatively closely matched every season. We need to dissect out the shit parts and keep the players with talent, effort, and character. There is some good talent there so it doesn't seem so far away to me. I'm not a big believer in blowing things up, but changes are sorely needed.

It is beyond my comprehension how we have been unable to find serviceable lineman for depth (and starters for that matter) over the past 4 years! It's gone on for so long that it makes me believe there is some major organizational deficiency in evealuating O-lineman. I completely agree with Mill. Haley should be fired today for continuously leaving Ben unprotected on Adams' side. Also, on the 3rd and goal play before the half, Haley sends the most important weapon on an up and out toward the back of the end zone! WTF!!!! This play takes at least 5 seconds to develop (if he gets a clean release) and Ben didn't have 5 seconds all fuckin day. Send him to the goal line and have him turn around.

What was with Ben completely ignoring Bell as an outlet when he was in trouble? There were several times where he could have dumped it to him with open field ahead. It makes me wonder if there is some internal beef between those two. On one of the sacks, Bell's body language seemed to indicate "What the hell? I'm fucking open!"

A few positives.... I really like what I saw from the rookie running the ball. Also, Velasco has been a find. Obviously he was coached up right from another organization. Brown is playing the best ball of his short career but it seems like it is not rubbing off on others. Heath is returning to form. That's about it!
:(

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby bubbybrister » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:15 pm

Colbert's folly in the off-season has shown just how out of touch he is as a talent evaluator.
Not bringing back Max Starks because he believed Adams could handle the LT. The fact that our solution four weeks into the season was to use a 3 man rotation at tackle is absolutely laughable. When has this ever been tried in the NFL?
Not matching Keenan Lewis. We could've easily fit his deal under the salary cap. A proven talent let go for the potential with Allen.
Not restructuring James Harrison or offering a contract when no one signed him, because Jason Worilds was ready to step up. The more snaps we see out of Worilds, the worse he looks. As a team, we rank tied for dead last with only 4 sacks this year.
I think the Mesko fiasco speaks for itself.

Also, Ryan Clark has to go. He hasn't made a play in 3 years. He wiffs on so many tackles now. I was laughing my ass off watching him feebly try to run down AP on his 60yd TD jaunt. He's got to be one of the slowest DBs in the league. Worilds showed better wheels running down the Vikes punt returner from behind than old Ryan has ever shown.

I think we will be lucky to finish 3-13 this year.

Practice Squad

Postby 2016SBChamps » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:21 pm

"A QB Coach ? You need a QB coach only for the mechanics. After 10 years in the league the problem with Ben is not Mechanics. Like Mill Said :

He doesn't hit the guy on the open field
He keeps the ball too long
He spikes the ball wasting useful downs ( this is on the OC also )
He just doesn't run anymore like he used. Everybody knows that he will NEVER run for a first down if is not on a designed play ( like last week )
He produces too many turnovers. Somebody may wonder what the rule is with Tomlin. He benched RBs for TO. He doesn't do anything about Ben."
---------------------
Well.., Tomlin does not have many options when it comes to QBs. The backup QBs are just that--backup QBs.
For some reason, Ben's mechanics are also not up to par.
Ben has become slow to react and slow to move. It has been too easy for the defenses to harass and sack him.
I think, he needs to lose weight and become stronger and faster. I realize that age is a factor but in this case, it's not. May be the concussions have taken a toll on him.
The OL is not helping. Why didn't they build up the OL during the off season? It's going to be a loooooong season. :(

Practice Squad

Postby 2016SBChamps » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Crucible-steel-kid wrote:
2016SBChamps wrote:

Oh no, we MUST be politically correct and allow an unqualified minority to destroy the team. Remember the "Rooney rule" which incidentally generated much in the way of N.F.L. publicity, we cannot allow something like the "Rooney rule" to be shown for what it really is - affirmative action by handing unqualified individuals more than what they can handle... :suahhbs:

Did you say the same thing when Tomlin took the team to the SB?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:22 am

Colbert has no clue in drafting, especially linemen...O or D.
Teams take on the personality of their coach. Am starting to lose faith in Tomlin.
Haley AND his player personel choices make him seem like a very good candidate for HC.
Can Tomlin become DC?
Agrred. Mr. LeBeau you should enjoy the benefits of retirement.
None of the above is as surprising as Ben's play. He has been outplayed by every opposing qb including Jake Locker? Your kidding.
And finally is Adams that bad? Yes, he flat out sucks.

Return to Stillers Talk