Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » WHO SHOULD BE FIRED FIRST ?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

WHO SHOULD BE FIRED FIRST ?

Postby Ohio » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:17 pm

Colbert
Tomlin
Haley
LeBeau
Big Ben ( trade him and pick somebody in the 2014 Draft )

Make your choice

Grizzled Veteran

Re: WHO SHOULD BE FIRED FIRST ?

Postby StillDodger » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:12 pm

Kevin Colbert needs to be fired first...... Vince Lombardi would have a hard time winning with this current group of players.

Some teams are awful because of substandard talent..... Some teams are awful because of inept coaching..... I believe the lack of talent in our past five drafts is a far worse problem than our coaching staff.

I mean, we get a center off waivers to replace who was arguably our best draft pick over the past five years, Maurkice Pouncey, and even that looks like an upgrade.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:38 pm

StillDodger wrote:Kevin Colbert needs to be fired first...... Vince Lombardi would have a hard time winning with this current group of players.

I agree with you. It should be Colbert now.

Then, at the end of the season,all the others. Tomlin, Hailey, LeBeau, offensive line coach and Big Ben. Ben is awful. And it has been like this for a while now. If we have a top 3 pick just kick him out.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:59 pm

Ohio wrote:Colbert
Tomlin
Haley
LeBeau
Big Ben ( trade him and pick somebody in the 2014 Draft )

Make your choice

Art II, that's who. He's a fucking lawyer and has no business heading up a professional football organization. The team has steadily declined since he took the helm. He can take momlin with him.

Practice Squad

Postby kabbage » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:33 am

Listen, Ben succeeded when he had a Plaxico or Wallace to bail him out on broken plays. His only remaining 'tried and true' is Heath. But from what I've seen, his passing is off and his decision making has been questionable at best. He has had game changing turn overs in a majority of our 0-4 start. And don't give me the, "but he has a bunch of new players to get used to" argument because I don't hear that coming from Peyton over at the Broncos. Do we need help in a lot of areas? Yes, but we also need an offensive leader that can unify this team to put more hours of practice in to work out the kinks and to educate the rookies. Ben doesn't have the character or the intellect to pull that off, so it is time to scour next years draft picks for the future QB of the Steelers. And please consider seriously trading that big oaf to Florida when he belongs. End of rant.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:40 am

What Coke Oven Said! I think that little Arty is in the Dan Snyder mold. He will fuck up this team for decades.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:20 am

LenSherwood wrote:What Coke Oven Said! I think that little Arty is in the Dan Snyder mold. He will fuck up this team for decades.

Let's hope not. I do not want anybody to call us Clowns

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Ain't nobody getting fired, not mid-season anyway.

We shitcan Tomlin, there are 15+ NFL teams who will pick him up in a heartbeat.

We are not the Redskins, we are not the Cowboys. We are not going to whipsaw the team with coaching changes and big-deal, multi-person trades. Teams cannot have huge long runs of winning playoff contending teams forever. Every so often a QB can come along who can keep his team in contention despite a lower level of play around him, because that's the way this league is. BR7 is actually one of those, though he's not in a Brady/Manning category, but he's better than we had for 22 years and better than most teams ever have. Maybe his run is done. Who the fuck knows for sure.

Our personnel management made some long term sacrifices to try to stitch together another Super Bowl run for '11 and '12. It didn't pan out. Some drafts have not gone well. It happens. We have to rebuild. So frickin' what, the Cleveland Browns, once a hugely successful team, have been rebuilding for 40 years. Yes there have been plenty of mistakes by this team and this organization. Yes I am disappointed, yes I will be doing a lot more chores around the house this fall instead of watching them on TV (not in the 'burgh, no choice).

We stand a much better chance of being "in it" again by keeping Tomlin, keeping Roethlisberger, and letting the Rooneys decide who in the front office stays and who goes. Tomlin needs to decide who his assistants are. Play the rookies more, make a few astute trades, a couple more decent drafts, we can be back in it in 2-3 years.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:15 am

Funny how this shit never " just happens" to The Patriots. Look how many players they lost from last year to this year, yet there they sit, 4-0.

This will (presumably) be 3 of the last 5 seasons this team has failed to make the playoffs.

Changes better be on the horizon, and sooner rather than later. In the meantime, I shudder to think what Heinz Field will look like on T.V. in November and December, assuming those games aren't blacked out.(Which would be a blessing.)

But to answer your question, I'd get rid of Colbert first. Bad drafts and doing next to nothing in Free -Agency has landed the team to where it sits currently. Another clown who has just coasted off reputation the past few years.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:32 am

I believe the biggest problem is that the combo of Colbert and Tomlin do not know NFL level talent from their assholes. And I think little Arty is getting too involved in the decision making of the team. When you look at Dallas and Washington, that becomes a disaster quickly. Those are my three for consideration for firing. Thank you.

Practice Squad

Postby 2016SBChamps » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:30 am

Steelers76 wrote:Funny how this shit never " just happens" to The Patriots. Look how many players they lost from last year to this year, yet there they sit, 4-0.

Good point! I am not a fan of the Patriots. But I can't ignore the fact that they have got superb coaching and management. Somehow, they are able to bring out the best in their players.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:47 am

'76, it only looks that way. I live in Patriot Land. There is one reason and one reason only the Patsies are always in it: Tom Brady.

2007, with a strong supporting cast, they win 16 games. Next year, no Brady, but everybody else the same, they win 11. That's 5 games. 5 games propels a lousy 5-11 team into the playoffs and a mediocre 8-8 team to a 1st round bye.

When Brady retires, Belichick will too, and the Patriots will sink back into the mediocrity from which they came.

The "Patriot Way" is the way that overlooked that Hernandez was a drug dealing murderer, left them with Reche Caldwell as their leading receiver, that traded away Richard Seymour at the start of the season, that spent more money on a contract for Danny Amendola than for Wes Welker, and just ended Vince Wilfork's career by sending him out onto the field with an injured foot. They kept sending Gronkowski out onto the field and that dude may be done too.

The only thing you want to emulate about the Patriots is finding a Tom Brady at number 199 in the draft.

I follow this site because the media is totally beholden to the pro teams for their jobs. The teams can cut off any reporter who starts to ask the tough questions and doesn't toe the company line. Not living in the 'burgh I can't get enough real information to make judgements myself, and you get more of the unvarnished truth from guys like Mill and the submitters here, so I hope you'll take my word for it that we want the Steelers to be nothing like the Pats, which are just another run-by-a-rich-guy-as-a-hobby team. The biases of the Rooneys sometimes take them in the wrong direction (like, now) but over the long haul its vastly preferred. There's a reason why the teams like the Giants, the Packers, and the Steelers are like self-righting ships.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:52 am

That's kind of my point, Re: New England.

As good as Tom Brady is, he doesn't play Defense, can't run the routes for his WRs, etc. I truly don't believe in so called "One Man Teams." I think their G.M. and Coaching Staff have done an incredible job surrounding Brady with talent, and going out and replacing them when they move on. Case in point; If you'd put Brady under Center for this Steeler Team right now, he MAY have 1 win.

You brought up 2008 when Brady got hurt in the first game that season, and missed the rest of the year. Yeah, they missed the playoffs, but went 11-5 with a then unknown Matt Cassell under Center. 11-5. And I don't put too much stock in "Well, they still missed the playoffs" with that record and The NFL screwy playoff system, as that same season San Diego not only made the post-season with an 8-8 record, but got to host a home playoff game all because they won a shitty AFC West Division.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:32 pm

You're right, 76. Tom Brady doesn't play defense. That's why the Patsies' defense has been ranked last or close to last in the last three years. (25 in 2012, 31 in 2011, and 25 in 2010.) Notice they haven't won a SB in that time.)

I agree with you, Pommah on your analysis of the Pats. We don't want to be them. In fact, ever since they got caught cheating and the rules and protections against signal stealing got changed, not one ring in Beantown. Not a coincidence. That having been said, yes, Bill Bellicheck is a capable coach. There's a lot of capable coaches who would look like geniuses with Tom Brady at the helm. I hate to say it, cuz I think the guy is a punk, as is his "shit-for-brains", classless wife. (see, "My husband can't catch the ball, too!!" after Tom overthrew a wide open Welker at the close of SBXLVI (dramatic slug of water bottle). But Tom is a great quarterback and in a quarterback driven league you win a lot of games with a great quarterback. Ben is good, and (as Pommah pointed out) better than we had for two decades and better than some ever have. But he's not great, and he's not even playing "good" right now.

As for Tom being 1-3 if he were at the helm of our offense, I beg to differ. First, in line with what someone on this board pointed out about Manning in Denver, the O-scheme would be tailored to Tom's strengths which would make for a different ballgame entirely. Assuming that Haley is so stupid (which he might be) that he wouldn't do that, here are the numbers:

Tom Brady: 7 TD's, 2 INT's, 58.9% comp., 1014 yds, 2 fumbles, 1 lost, sacked twice
"Big" Ben: 5 Td's, 5 INT's, 63.6% comp., 1231 yds, 5 fumbles, 4 lost, sacked FIFTEEN TIMES!!!

Add to that mess the horrible timing of some of Ben's gaffes plus the relatively close score in three of the four losses and I think it's clear that Ben's play has been a big factor in our record. Don't get me wrong, I still think Ben is our best option right now and for the foreseeable future. I just know he has to do better and FAST.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Its hard to separate out if Ben isn't playing well or if Ben's O-line is so bad nobody could look good.

In 2005 I don't remember him having to resort to so much sandlot football. By 2008 that's what he was known for. The entire O-line had turned over in those 3 years except for Starks. '05 was anchored by Faneca and Hartings and I thought Marvell Smith and Kendall Simmons were more than adequate. By '08 guys like Kemeoutu (sp) and Hartwig and the Colon were starting. They could be okay at times. but were a definite downgrade.

That said, it seems to me Brady makes it easy on his line. He's pretty immobile but his dropback is choreographed to precision and the guy has gone through 3-4 reads by the time of his plant and step, all done looking straight ahead with peripheral vision. Ball is gone by 3.5 seconds nearly every time. This makes it very easy on the O-line. Ben looks straight at his primary the whole time and then pump fakes and only then goes off to his secondary. Unfortunately lately he's scrambling sometimes before he can complete the drop back. Although, the O-line rarely knows where he is, the D-line does, and they can juke around the blockers. Brady's line knows exactly where their man is up to that 3.5 second time. By 4 seconds he's either down or has thrown the ball away (far more likely). Who would you rather block for? Who's going to give his O-line the easier task? Who's O-line gets the bigger workout over the course of the game? The little stuff adds up.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:02 pm

I agree, Pommah, that it's often hard to discern where the O-Line's failures leave off and where Ben's begin. I thought of that especially when looking at the fifteen sacks. Obviously some of that is on the jail breaks we have seen exploding through our confused O-Line corps, but some of them are probably on Ben and his unwillingness to admit the play is over, too. I would have to go look at film to really break those down. I think your right that sometimes our O-Line makes Ben work harder than he should, and vice-versa, as well.

I also agree that when he had some modicum of protection in the "early years" he didn't always look like there were 17 guys playing defense. However, keep in mind that some of that backfield stability was just that: backfield stability, in the name of the Bus. An actual running threat that is as credible as it is productive will make a QB's, and an O-line's, job a lot easier.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:49 am

and dont forget about Fast Willie.

but did we have a good running game because we had a better line?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:23 pm

Haha. Yup. The chicken or the egg, huh? RB's look better behind a good O-Line, and an O-Line looks better in front of a good RB. Which is which? One thing is clear, we don't have either of those problems right now. But I must admit I saw a lot of potential in LeVeon last week. Maybe he can bring some stability to the blocking. We'll see.

Return to Stillers Talk