Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Questions regarding Haley and the Offense

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Questions regarding Haley and the Offense

Postby Ohio » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:07 pm

- ) Last year with a speedster like Wallace he was throwing short and underneath ( the so called dink and dunk ). This year with Brown and Sanders he is going deep. Why ?

- ) Last week it sounded like the entire gameplan had Beachum as TE. Yesterday he played 2 snaps. Why ?

- ) Cotchery couldn't get any separation. Wheaton rooted the bench the entire game. Why ?

- ) Moye was the only easy TD. His height 6-5 is a quality that no other receiver has. We do not have any TE. 2 Snaps, 1 Ball ? Why he didn't see the field more ? What should he do more ?

- ) The offense has produced NOTHING. Why didn't we try some trick plays ?

- ) We have seen last week that we cannot run the ball no matter who and when. Gameplan starts with three runs? Just after Redman had a concussion. WHY ?

Can somebody explain ?

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Questions regarding Haley and the Offense

Postby Ed Burns » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:49 pm

I'm beginning to think they should have hired Jim Caldwell instead of Haley, even though he'd fail miserably with the way this group's playing.

This Offense is crap. The zone blocking scheme is crap, and the run game looks like they're all just strolling up to the L.O.S. to get mauled.

I miss the days of lining up 2 TEs, and a FB, and just powering for a 4, or 5 yard gain. You know, Steelers Football.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:52 pm

We lack a true first string TE and RB. Heath may not be himself this year - we will see - and Bell is unproven - but we shall see

We have ONE top shelf receiver - we need TWO - and one of them needs to be tall and fast. Derek has Great hands. We shall see more of Mr Moyes I wager

When you look around the league and see people like A Peterson and Dez Bryant you can understand why we are outclassed

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:08 am

PGHeaven wrote:We lack a true first string TE and RB. Heath may not be himself this year - we will see - and Bell is unproven - but we shall see

We have ONE top shelf receiver - we need TWO - and one of them needs to be tall and fast. Derek has Great hands. We shall see more of Mr Moyes I wager

When you look around the league and see people like A Peterson and Dez Bryant you can understand why we are outclassed

Cannot agree more.

On the site I found those things confirming what I have been saying lately :

- ) Tomlin : The problem is Offense http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -were-0-2/

- ) Offense is playing better with the no huddle http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/471 ... z2fEeKCBgL

Regarding the no huddle I just think that a lot of people miss the point. The biggest point of a no huddle uptempo offense is that IT SEMPLIFIES THE READS. Given enough time every defense tries to make chaos in order for the QB to be confused. Going no huddle Ben ( or any QB for that matter ) improves not because he calls his plays, but because the defense doesn't make any pre snap crap and is almost always playing a cover zero. ( With cover zero I mean they are playing man to man without zone blitzing or any sort of confusing tactics).

Also from this second article I would point out :

- ) 1 Snap using the Outside zone blocking. ( I couldn't understand why some people were talking about it in this site when I never saw it in our game...)
- ) Jarvis Jones played 60 snaps ( about 70% of total). I do not know if we should be happy about this or not
- ) From Velasco to Pouncey there was NOT this huge difference. Of course Colbert will rush and re-sign Pouncey to an unbelivable amount.
- ) Wheaton has yet to be targeted. I guess we do not need him. Right?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:59 am

Ohio,

I think that people meant that the Steelers have a Zero blocking scheme, not a zone blocking scheme. The offensive output through two games seem to suggest that they aren't blocking anyone, especially on running plays.

The offense is a barfbag--Haley is clueless. There is no system out there. People may not have liked Cowher but you didn't get the sense that his teams were this scattershot in terms of a system. It was a mistake to get rid of Arians. He at least knew how to throw the ball down the field.

Return to Stillers Talk