Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Bengals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Bengals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:21 am

Stillers-Bengals Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Bengals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby LenSherwood » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:48 am

It is obvious that the Steeler's talent level has declined to where they are gong to need at least several decent drafts combined with shrewd free agent signings to be even competitive again--but how long a window to they have with Ben? This fukin team would go winless this season if it had a crap quarterback. With Ben they have the chance against a shitty schedule to maybe be mediocre. But Colbert and Tomlin have not shown that they can judge talent at all. They are completely whiffing on drafts lately...well maybe Jones will be a stud, but hell...the lineup is sucking, especially at O line... We might be looking at the end of the 1980s...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:06 am

LenSherwood wrote:It is obvious that the Steeler's talent level has declined to where they are gong to need at least several decent drafts combined with shrewd free agent signings to be even competitive again--but how long a window to they have with Ben? This fukin team would go winless this season if it had a crap quarterback. With Ben they have the chance against a shitty schedule to maybe be mediocre. But Colbert and Tomlin have not shown that they can judge talent at all. They are completely whiffing on drafts lately...well maybe Jones will be a stud, but hell...the lineup is sucking, especially at O line... We might be looking at the end of the 1980s...

Len the only thing that I do not agree with is your judgment on Ben. Yesterday Gradkowski could have played better. It is a long long time that Ben does not separates himself from a regular starting quality QB. Where is his greatness now ? Running with the Ball ? Buying time ? Where are the throws that made him so popular in Pittsburgh ? There was a talk regarding him being a Hall of Famer. I will tell you something : If he gets in after this couple of years than Andy Dalton can. Just please tell me when are his last Hall of Famer highlights? Because it such a long time that I do not even remember

Grizzled Veteran

Postby relictele » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:11 am

What's worse? Waiting for the regular season to begin or waiting for the regular season to be over?

Knowledgeable and even not-so-knowledgeable fans have a sense of dread. The loss to the Bengals was a fait accompli after the loss to the Titans, because the problems with this team are systemic. We have seen mid-season sackings before e.g. special teams coaches but the defensive coordinator is untouchable (apparently) and the offensive coordinator is a 'big name' despite his small-minded approach. And so, like the sad-sack crew of the USS Caine, the Steelers are stuck with their respective commanding officers until the war is over no matter how many poor, dangerous decisions they make.

A worrying number of positions on both sides of the ball are manned by the least worst option at each. Players who are mediocre on their best days are kept on the roster and given significant playing even while injured. This is not a James Harrison in his prime nursing a hamstring or a Ben Roethlisberger wearing a larger shoe to relieve pressure on his injured foot; these are journeymen elevated to starter status via luck and circumstance and, even more maddening, spun by the front office and the coaches as above-average talents capable of delivering a division title and/or a playoff berth.

Perhaps it's some form of AFC Central/North karma as we now experience what Browns and Bengals fans have gone through for decades: a few talented individual players lumbered with a load of poor draft choices and waiver wire dross around them, all supervised by control-freak, cowardly coaches unable or unwilling to change that which is obviously broken.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Ed Burns » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:37 am

Yesterday's game plan was a total pile of crap on both sides of the ball... I'm not big on house cleaning, but that might be what's needed if things don't turn around, which the way it looks right now won't...

Paulson's garbage...

Redman's garbage...

The O-line's a joke.

Woodley... We definitely cut the wrong OLB. There's no maybes with that one.

The vaunted D... My 8 year old can gash that group for at least a 15 yard run.

The bottom line is this team's a grab bag of vomit. We'll be lucky to get 4 wins out this group.

Practice Squad

Postby bigmoesteelers83 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:38 am

Living in WNY I know how the Bills and Browns fans have felt for a long time. Not believing the Steelers can win the game is not part of my pre-game thoughts very often, this year doesn't look good. I am hopeful the return of Heath Miller will spark the offense a little bit. The defense, while not giving up a lot of points, just doesn't have it. We are going to need turnovers resulting in a short field for the offense if we want to score points. Or the defense will have to score on their own.

It's going to be a long season if things don't get fixed, and fast. I don't have any confidence in the coaching staff. Tomlin is in way over his head, Haley doesn't seem to know how to work with the personnel available and Dick's defensive schemes are old news.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Still Peon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:55 am

I don't even know where to begin the list of categories in which this team is failing, seeing how much there is to go over. I think I'd be better off just talking about any way in which we're doing ok........and that list is Troy and Ike.......that be it!

Practice Squad

Postby ddemao » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:01 am

Does anyone think Todd Haley understands the purpose of an offense is to have someone wearing a Steeler uniform, in possession of the football, break the plane of the opponent's goal line? Am I joking? No. I am totally convinced he does not grasp this concept.

Practice Squad

Postby bigmoesteelers83 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:08 am

The play calling has been awful! I don't know if Ben is changing the play or if they are coming from Haley, either way I don't like it. There is so much to fix right now. I hope the players can step it up on their own because I have little faith in the coaching staff.

The zone blocking scheme by the O line is obviously not working.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:41 am

Ohio-- point taken concerning Big Ben in terms of what we have been getting. He does have the possibility of raising his level of play where an O'Donnell, Stewart, Brister, Mark Malone and does anyone remember Clif Stoudt??? Did not.

Someone above said that the zone scheme isn't working--very true! That zone blocking scheme is complete crap for this line. Go back to power which usually netted the Steelers a long run with Willie Parker of Socrates Mendenhall to borrow Mill's name.. Of course, with Miller out, it isn't as effective. He is a magnificent blocker at TE.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:20 pm

The major problem the Steelers have right now is no teams are scared of the deep threat. Chincy last night lined up consistently 7 or 8 or 9 men in the box. That dope Sapp was right but 2 years too early. Our wideouts dont scare any body. We need to employ quick passes to make up for this.
We need to give Carnell the chance to be DC before he slips away. Little or no pressure on Qb puts a LOT OF PRESSURE on the secondary and they played well. Even Gay , it seems, that Lake has him coached up and ready.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Ed Burns » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:31 pm

The zone blocking scheme's designed for an undersized O-lineman that are quicker, and more agile. An example of that is Denver's O-Line back in '97, and '98. Those guys weren't big hogs.

Our O-Line's all big. Let them power ahead. The current blocking scheme isn't working. Isn't that the same zone style system Larry Zierlein ran in 2009? That didn't work then.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:56 pm

The elephant that is in the room that no one seems to be talking about is this:
BR7 is shell shocked. Much like Kurt Warner and David Carr were, he has taken so many hits that he is not the same. I think it will continue to get worse. Last year we saw more and more bonehead throws. Pressure is going to be a constant with this o line. He still has heart and still has the ability to escape, but it is in his subconscious. He hasn't been the same since the KC hit. The straw that broke the camels back......

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:39 am

pinpon wrote:The elephant that is in the room that no one seems to be talking about is this:
BR7 is shell shocked. Much like Kurt Warner and David Carr were, he has taken so many hits that he is not the same. I think it will continue to get worse. Last year we saw more and more bonehead throws. Pressure is going to be a constant with this o line. He still has heart and still has the ability to escape, but it is in his subconscious. He hasn't been the same since the KC hit. The straw that broke the camels back......

Well documented pinpon and I cannot agree more. I have been saying the same for some time now. But I could not point out when this change occurred.

For sure he is not anymore the guy we have seen in the first seasons. This happens a lot in life even more in football where we are seeing the long term results of those exciting crushes

Return to Stillers Talk