Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers Settle on Bizarre 53-man roster

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers Settle on Bizarre 53-man roster

Postby StillMill » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:48 am

Stillers Settle on Bizarre 53-man roster has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers Settle on Bizarre 53-man roster

Postby Pommah » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:50 am

In this review and the re-cap of last year's performance by the D, I'm reminded why I keep coming to this site. I agree that these things are going to come back and bite us.

Heath Miller - everybody loves the guy, but at almost 31 he's on the downside of a wonderful career, and there is no way this guy is ready. So what if AP and RG3 have massive amounts of human growth hormone in their system, it's doubtful Miller does, and with all three tendons hurt, there is no way the guy can recover to play this year. Mill's right, he's just going to get hurt again, and maybe it will ruin the rest of his career. Rest him all season, bring him back and he gets maybe another 3 productive years in. This is just stupid. So is keeping Spaeth. Granted Haley seems to use the TE position more, but 5? When the O-line is so thin? It's crazy bad.

Thing is, we've seen this before with Roethlisberger playing hurt or rushing back when he's not healed. It doesn't do us any good. You cannot heal on the playing field.

Seeing last year's D's performance laid out like that is a bit stunning. Taken one game at a time, one tends to miss the trends. I've been laying last year's failure on BR7 getting hurt. But losing to the Raiders is solely on the D. The losses to Dallas and San Diego are largely on the D - if your offense scores over 20 and you truly are the number one D, you should win those - neither were better than .500 teams. Those 3 games and we woulda been a contendah.

And against no one else has Tim Tebow looked like an NFL QB. We lost a playoff game to him. Amazing in retrospect.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:08 am

And another thing. Jason Worillds. This guy is a number 2 draft pick, and he is just breaking into the the starting rotation in his fourth season, the last year on his rookie contract. The guy has had 10 starts out of 48 regular season possibilities. Is he any good? Have we seen enough of him to make a decision? He's barely beating out a rookie for the starting job. We should have had enough time to have made a judgement by now. If he plays well this year, we have to re-up him at better than a rookie contract or he goes elsewhere. If he doesn't play well, he's been taking up a roster spot for four nearly useless years. Piss or get off the pot! This is not good roster and contract management. Dick waits way too long to give young guys meaningful playing time, for them either to prove themselves or not.

One more - having your #1 receiver as your punt returner, too big a risk in my book. Punt return is a job for a backup receiver or DB. If AB gets hurt returning a punt, we will look mighty stupid.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:35 am

Ahhh. Good to see this site buzzing again.

Mill, you got me pretty good with the "You’d almost swear the guy has photos of Colbert with farm animals" line. My face still hurts.

I agree with both of you. What is the fascination with TE? I can maybe understand carrying 5 if you're the freakin Pats, but WTF?

I did agree with keeping Jones over Dwyer. (another draft failure) His talent is not good enough to compensate for the ridiculous amount of fumbling. Also, dumping that worthless turd Ta’amu was overdue. (yet another draft failure)

I can't wait to see McLendon finally take most of the snaps at NT. We are looking pretty good at nose tackle, a position many of us were worried about just a year ago. I like what Al Woods brings to the table too. He plays like he is always pissed off, and I like it! He gets good pressure on the pass rush more than we typically saw from Hampton. The sample size is too small to make too many judgments so we will have to wait and see what develops there.

Also, why is Cromartie-Smith on the roster? There has to be a better option out there for a 6th DB. This guy blows.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby PSUPERCY » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:08 pm

There were a lot of guys who were let go who would augment the roster IMO. Namely, Jake Ballard and/or John Connor. It's time for Worilds to go play arena ball or be a bouncer at some crappy club.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Pommah wrote:And another thing. Jason Worillds. This guy is a number 2 draft pick, and he is just breaking into the the starting rotation in his fourth season, the last year on his rookie contract. The guy has had 10 starts out of 48 regular season possibilities. Is he any good? Have we seen enough of him to make a decision? He's barely beating out a rookie for the starting job. We should have had enough time to have made a judgement by now. If he plays well this year, we have to re-up him at better than a rookie contract or he goes elsewhere. If he doesn't play well, he's been taking up a roster spot for four nearly useless years. Piss or get off the pot! This is not good roster and contract management. Dick waits way too long to give young guys meaningful playing time, for them either to prove themselves or not.

One more - having your #1 receiver as your punt returner, too big a risk in my book. Punt return is a job for a backup receiver or DB. If AB gets hurt returning a punt, we will look mighty stupid.

Pommah-- great point about having Number 1 receiver as punt returner.. really stupid. They used their first round pick Jones as a gunner on kick off coverages also.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Ed Burns » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Jason Worilds = Alonzo Jackson.

Let him sign elsewhere at Season's end... He's dead weight.

Return to Stillers Talk