Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » 1st round pick = Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

1st round pick = Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:17 pm

Steelers take OLB Jarvis Jones from Georgia.

Amazing talent. Question is how quickly can he start in our complex defense?
Kendell Bell was defensive rookie of the year, but he was inside which is less difficult in our scheme.

Lot of preassure on a 1st round LB in Pittsburgh...it's like being a 1st rounf QB anywhere else. plus Jones will live in the shadow of Harrison.
We shall see. Wish him luck..the physical tools are there.

What do you think?

Stillers.com Team

Re: 1st round pick = Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:22 pm

Our Own Haven projected Jones as a 1st rounder..
He also noted that he visited the Burgh and is projected as a ILB, so maybe he will get in the line-up quicker than I thought.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:47 pm

It should be noted that Jones has been diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis after an injury at USC, which is pretty scarey.
But man has he made plays at Georgia.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:54 pm

Just wondering if there is something wrong with this statement:

"the Steelers were delighted to see Jones run a slow 40." (so that they could draft him.)

Does that raise any warning flags? Just wondering. He apparently doesn't get in shape so that he gets more money as a top ten pick?

I would like this pick if it were to replace Woodley instead of Harrison!!!

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:23 am

named one of the best fits of the draft
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/ ... st-matches
3. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Pittsburgh: Jones is the most dynamic pass-rusher in this year's class, a one-man wrecking crew who created fits for opponents while at Georgia. The Steelers have a long history of outstanding rush linebackers, and one of their best ever, James Harrison, was released this offseason. Jones has the most explosive first step in this year's class, and he will play in the same 3-4 system that made him a college star. If neck problems caused by spinal stenosis -- which concerned some teams -- don't hinder him, he should become an immediate standout.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Ed Burns » Mon May 06, 2013 5:12 pm

I like the pick. Does he start in his first year in LeBeau's Defense, yeah once Woodley blows a hamstring again because he's 40 pounds overweight... I think the ceiling's high for this kid... What worries me is the Spinal Stenosis diagnosis... I don't like possibility of a medical issue shortening his career.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:45 am

Someone on this board linked to another website, Steelers Depot or something like that. I saw they had a story on this kid with his highlight clips of fourteen sacks. Well those sacks showed him running straight to the QB after the college offensive tackles did a little dance, never getting their feet set nor setting the body on a proper edge to anticipate the rusher's move (this doesn't happen much in the NFL.) He did not run through contact on many of those highlights and when he did it was because the college level QB held the ball forever. He seems slightly built--no way he is 240. He won't be able to stand up to a full season early in his career. You can bet he will not be playing this year because he needs to physically mature.

Return to Stillers Talk