Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » 4a pick Syracuse SS - Shamarko Thomas

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

4a pick Syracuse SS - Shamarko Thomas

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Steelers trade up to make an Interesting pick.
Versitie player has played at safety, LB and even some CB
at 5'9 he's short, but decent size at 213.
4.42 in the 40.
raising his 5 siblings due to death of both parents.

I think he could start for us soon.

I like the player...can't be sure if I like the pick until I figure out what we gave up to get the pick.

thoughts?

Stillers.com Team

Re: 4a pick Syracuse SS - Shamarko Thomas

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:27 pm

the Steelers took Thomas with the 111th pick after Pittsburgh agreed to send their 2014 third-round pick to the Browns.

I like Thomas a lot, but I hat trading future picks, especially higher future picks.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:36 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:the Steelers took Thomas with the 111th pick after Pittsburgh agreed to send their 2014 third-round pick to the Browns.

I like Thomas a lot, but I hat trading future picks, especially higher future picks.

Indeed we agree. I mean... Worst case scenario ( for us ) we are 7th in next year draft... That makes the 71st pick. Dumb as any move Colbert can make.

Am I the only one that believes he is grossly underachieving ? The guy only makes dumb moves. I didn't like the first couple of days.

This pick ( not the trade ) is acceptable. The Landry Pick can be a season saving one ( as I believe he is immediately #2 in our QB depth Chart )

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:10 pm

Thomas did visit Pittsburgh. (Which seems to be a key to who Colbert drafts.)
Steel Haven's board had him valued as a 3rd round pick.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:12 am

USA Today actually named this the worst pick of the 3rd day :?

http://www.usatoday.com/videos/sports/n ... 8/2117723/

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pump-N-Iron » Wed May 01, 2013 11:24 am

Ohio wrote:
thesteelhammer wrote:the Steelers took Thomas with the 111th pick after Pittsburgh agreed to send their 2014 third-round pick to the Browns.

Indeed we agree. I mean... Worst case scenario ( for us ) we are 7th in next year draft... That makes the 71st pick. Dumb as any move Colbert can make.

Am I the only one that believes he is grossly underachieving ? The guy only makes dumb moves. I didn't like the first couple of days.

This pick ( not the trade ) is acceptable. The Landry Pick can be a season saving one ( as I believe he is immediately #2 in our QB depth Chart )

You guys realize that we are probably going to get at least 1, if not 2, 3rd round compensatory draft picks next year (Wallace & Harrison). That being said, the Stillers FO realized that they were never going to have the cash to pay 3 - 3rd round picks, so they could easily deal this one away for an upgraded pick this year (you cannot trade compensatory picks). It remains to be seem if Thomas will bring that value, but I like the pick. He will need some coaching up, since he can often play a little out of control due to his speed... but he should be a huge upgrade over Ryan Clark.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Wed May 01, 2013 9:25 pm

Pump-N-Iron wrote:
Ohio wrote:

You guys realize that we are probably going to get at least 1, if not 2, 3rd round compensatory draft picks next year (Wallace & Harrison). That being said, the Stillers FO realized that they were never going to have the cash to pay 3 - 3rd round picks, so they could easily deal this one away for an upgraded pick this year (you cannot trade compensatory picks). It remains to be seem if Thomas will bring that value, but I like the pick. He will need some coaching up, since he can often play a little out of control due to his speed... but he should be a huge upgrade over Ryan Clark.

Yep, realize that. Even mentioned it in the 2nd post of the "Live Draft Talk" thread.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5434&start=80

still not crazy about trading future picks for lower current picks.
We will forever be comparing Thomas to whoever the Browns picks with our 2014 3rd round pick.
That said, I do like Thomas.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Ed Burns » Mon May 06, 2013 4:56 pm

I like the pick. He's the guy that face planted on his 40 yard dash at the Combine. I don't like trading picks, but if he does well, then it might just work out fine.

Return to Stillers Talk