Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Rebuilding Time

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Rebuilding Time

Postby LenSherwood » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:54 am

On paper the Steelers look bad. Next season will make paper look even worse. You have an 8 and 8 team that just fucking got worse. Cut Harrison are you fucking kidding? Resign Larry Foote? Resign William Gay? Let's see... you have the most dominant player on the defense cut and now where are you going to get a pass rush from, dipshits? Woodley? Ha! When he and Hood aren't getting RUN OVER...look at the tape, teams run right the fuck over those two lame asses... you may get a slop sack every 20 plays. Now there is no pressure from the other side, so Woodley may not get a fall down sack in 50 plays... The offense is not going to carry this lame ass defense--it just got worse too. They should have traded Wallace for something before last season. I don't think much of the little drama queen but he did stretch the defense. Who does that now? Add to that that the only receiving option that came to play every game, Heath Miller probably won't be much of a factor next year due to that horrible knee injury... hell he may be done.

The drafts in the Tomlin years have sucked cock--you can't just credit Colbert for the entirety of the shit that they are drafting. The head coach has to help. I don't think Tomlin can evaluate players at all. Say what you would about Cowher, but he did know NFL level talent. Tomlin doesn't know NFL level talent from his asshole.

So you have an aging team with mediocre talent after the aging players leave...it looks like years of shit right now.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Rebuilding Time

Postby Pommah » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:28 am

Sherwood, I respect your views and logical conclusion. I am just choosing to look on the flip side of the coin.

I respect the organization the Steelers have built over the years. I saw them play even up with the team that won the Super Blow (my term for what that game was for Stiller fans). I think the organization rights itself after a year of bad karma/juju/luck.

I see Troy getting healthy and 8 picks. I see a resurgent Woodley leading the linebacker corps. I see Antonio becoming a league leading receiver, and Dwyer bowling over linebackers. I see the O-line protecting Ben like a brick wall...okay maybe I'm seeing things but I'm choosing to be positive.

Looking at the schedule, I see no worse than 11-5.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:08 pm

When will you guys ever learn that the result is always the opposite of expectation for this team? Every time I think they will suck, they get at least deep into the playoffs and vice-versa.

Therefore, I agree with Pommah on this one. :cheers:

Practice Squad

Postby majikmarkerz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:04 pm

I agree, we unloaded some of our most talented players (even if they weren't producing for us). Here is my oddball free agent choice. Pick up Peyton Hillis. He's a big bruising back that could have a great year on the right team. I'm sure he could be picked up for a good price, and he's still young enough to have a few good seasons.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Sun and Steel » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:01 pm

I was reading an article in the Trib which made an interesting observation. I believe it stated that starting in 2000, the Steelers have failed to make the playoffs every third season. However, each non-playoff season was followed by a season in which the Steelers went at least as far as the AFCC, with of course the 05 and 08 versions bringing home the Lombardi. Theoretically and historically speaking, the 2012 debacle should give Stiller fans hope.

But, on paper I see no locker room leaders left other than Troy P., Ben, and Kiesel. I see a defense with no identity and a dearth of talent along the front 7 and the defensive backfield. I see an offense which lacks physicality as well. I am afraid Heath may have played his last quality NFL down with the extent of his injury, further depleting physicality and skill from another position key to this offense. My gut tells me this team is in trouble.

The bright side is they can't go wrong high in the draft- you name the position their is need for improvement. On paper, this team is in the bottom half if the AFC. The only thing that might save this team from mediocrity or worse over the next 3-5 years is a home run draft.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:35 am

Well I hope I am wrong, but the talent level has bottomed out right now boys. You have the glaring weaknesses of the offensive line, corners who can't play press coverage, and now add to it a lack of impact players. The defense is the most pressing problem, but it may be hard to generate any sort of offense next year. A running game isn't really feasible with that offensive line and passing may be a problem too. Brown now gets number one receiver coverage.

I will say however, the NFL is very mediocre now. The Steelers may be able to compete in this mediocrity with this lower talent level, but making the playoffs and losing to the like of Tebow's Broncos isn't really much to hope for....

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:26 am

Last year, they should have gone no worse the 12-4 and won the super bowl. Instead we get a dogshit year. SoCal points out they do the opposite of what's expected, though.

And Sherwood, you are right, everybody sucks in this NFL. Last team that dominated was the '07 Patriots who combined one of the very best QB's with probably the most physically gifted receiver ever. Nobody could stop that combo, masking an aging, weakening D.

We have no choice but to go with youth this year. The O-line is inexperienced but is young and should be healthy and if they mature quickly could be good. We need Sanders to mature as a receiver, somebody to cover for Heath as he heals (and maybe replace if he doesn't), and a RB to emerge. My bet is Dwyer. If that's the lineup I believe that means Ramon Foster is the elder statesman of the bunch (Ben excluded). In this era of the NFL, it's a war of attrition and there is nothing like youth to get you through it. And we have no choice on O.

D to me is the bigger issue. We have got to have Troy healthy all year. We're a different team with him on the field, QB's still fear him as almost no other. If he's healthy it masks a lot of our deficiencies on the secondary, but helps them develop at the same time. The linebacking corps has got to deliver and so does the D-line which constitutes recent #1 and #2 draft picks. But to me it still hinges on how much Troy is on the field.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Sun and Steel » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:01 am

Now you also have to hope Cortez Allen is a bonafide NFL starting corner. Otherwise Troy will look bad even if he is playing well.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:09 pm

Pommah-- I hope you are right and I am wrong!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:24 pm

O.K., get this; I just heard on "The Fan" that The Steelers are close to signing former TE Matt Spaeth. Apparently the team also had former Bears TE Kellen Davis in for talks, but he left without a contract.

Seriously, you're going to let Davis walk but offer this oaf another contract here? I really hope this is just rumor, and nothing more. :supissed:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Sun and Steel » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:33 am

Spaeth= waste of space at this point. See any highlight reels of him anywhere last season? Quick! Who did he play for??? That's what I thought........Chicago for anyone who was wondering....

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:30 am

S&S, seems to me the Steelers are acting desperate at tight end position, which is probably an indicator about Heath's recovery - not boding well. And right when we got an offense that was finally using the man's talents. Being up there in years it's a possibility we don't see Heath playing again.

Sanders needs to look long and hard about how the Patriots treat receivers.

Practice Squad

Postby Steelblud » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:43 am

spaeth makes me wonder, especially when we let Harrison go. Perhaps they think that the defense is fine and we just need a few receivers. but it would help if they could actually catch

Return to Stillers Talk