Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers Sign QB John Parker Wilson

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Steelers Sign QB John Parker Wilson

Postby Steelers76 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:26 am

Steelers claimed former Alabama QB John Parker Wilson off waivers from Jacksonville this week.

Wilson, 27, was on and off Atlanta's 53 man roster and practice squad his first 3 years in The NFL. He was on Jacksonville's 53 man roster and practice squad a year ago before being signed to a futures contract following the season. The Jags released Wilson this past Wednesday. Wilson holds nearly every Alabama passing record, but has never played a down in The NFL. Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

The article says The Steelers are in need of a back-up QB, what with Batch and Leftwich being U.F.A., but I hope this signing is strictly for depth purposes for training camp and not a serious contender to back up No.7. That should come either through F.A. or the draft. Thoughts?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Steelers Sign QB John Parker Wilson

Postby Pommah » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Seems to me they are looking to put in a veteran at number two and keep Charlie for another year as number 3, and will not draft a QB. Seems a reasonable approach to me. We know Ben will be hurt and miss 3-4 games a season for the rest of his career. Having a decent backup should mean we can go 2-2 for those games and hopefully still make the playoffs. Can only do this strategy another couple three years though before we have to find a replacement for ben and start developing him. My guess is he's done at age 35-36. He doesn't protect himself well enough to last longer.

Return to Stillers Talk