Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » 2012 Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

2012 Grades

Postby Ohio » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 am

I was waiting for Mill to start the topic. Season grades. No analysis at the end of the season this year ? Let's start ours...

Hall of Famer

Re: 2012 Grades

Postby PGHeaven » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:47 am

Heath Miller A
Shaun Suisham A

Everybody else F

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:07 pm

PGH has it about right, except...

Starks B+
Cortez Allen B+ (relative to expectation)
Ziggy Hood F---

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Offensive Line : C + ( A lot of injuries. But fresh blood with some qualities : Gilbert Pouncey Adams DeCastro can get it together for next four years or so )

Defensive Line : D- ( Keisel and Hampton still playing says it all. Hood and Heyward have been just disapointing. Wasted picks )

TEs : B+

RB : D+ ( shown some flashes. )

QB : D. The reason why we are watching the playoffs

WR : F. A lot of fumbles. A lot of mental mistakes

LB : D- ( Outside LB was F. Inside C just because of Timmons )

CB: C . They got it together somehow. Not as bad as they want to make you believe

Safeties : F. Pola and Clark need to go.

Overall the team is on the way down. Just the O Line seems to be improving. I think Colbert will have too many holes to fill next draft. I don't know where we should start. It is killing to see the D line destroyed after having spent so many high picks. Useless...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:55 pm

I thought Heyward wasn't too bad considering his lack of playing time. He should definately be ahead of Ziggy "shoudastayedinthe" Hood. It's still a bit too soon to give up on Troy. He should get some pointers from Hines on staying healthy. Casey needs to go and give Mclendon the majority of the snaps while drafting a rookie NT. Heyward should start ahead of Keisel who could still be rotated in for one more year and add depth. The Steelers need to draft an impact D-lineman or LB with their first pick or pick up the best free agent avail.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:33 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote: The Steelers need to draft an impact D-lineman or LB with their first pick or pick up the best free agent avail.

Sorry but I don't agree. We have wasted two first round picks and a fourth only on D Line in the last two years. Our D Linemana are no JJ Watt. They barely make a play. Our team has holes all over it. This guys will need to show if they are able. Then next offseason who didn't work needs to be cut in favor of free agents or draft picks. Name one position where we are set. I cannot think of one. QB ? WR ? RB ? LB ? CB ? Safety ? We have way too many holes to waste picks in non factor positions.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Ohio wrote:
SoCal Stiller wrote: The Steelers need to draft an impact D-lineman or LB with their first pick or pick up the best free agent avail.

Sorry but I don't agree. We have wasted two first round picks and a fourth only on D Line in the last two years. Our D Linemana are no JJ Watt. They barely make a play. Our team has holes all over it. This guys will need to show if they are able. Then next offseason who didn't work needs to be cut in favor of free agents or draft picks. Name one position where we are set. I cannot think of one. QB ? WR ? RB ? LB ? CB ? Safety ? We have way too many holes to waste picks in non factor positions.

We're about to lose Kiesel and Hampton. Who do you propose we start on the D-line? Hood? He's not an NFL caliber starter at this point IMO, which leaves Heyward and Mclendon as viable options. This is by far the biggest area of need this draft. It is well documented on this site that we absolutely blow when it comes to pressuring the QB and creating turnovers. I agree we screwed the pooch on recent picks along the DL, but that's all the more reason to draft a 1st rounder there this year. Do you want to live with what we have and get torched every week? I don't understand your logic??

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:34 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:We're about to lose Kiesel and Hampton. Who do you propose we start on the D-line? Hood? He's not an NFL caliber starter at this point IMO, which leaves Heyward and Mclendon as viable options. This is by far the biggest area of need this draft. It is well documented on this site that we absolutely blow when it comes to pressuring the QB and creating turnovers. I agree we screwed the pooch on recent picks along the DL, but that's all the more reason to draft a 1st rounder there this year. Do you want to live with what we have and get torched every week? I don't understand your logic??

Hood played more than 800 snaps ( I think 826) in 2012. So he was a starter. Heyward played around 260 snaps. What I meant and mean is : Dline serve only as run stopper in our system. They never made and will make any impact. But the point is ... It is a passing game now. You need to stop the run only if you are trailing. It is way more important to get some OLB since Harrison will be probably be cut this offseason. Or you think that Worlids is more ready than Heyward ?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:57 pm

What in the hell are you talking about? The Steelers will cut Harrison??? First of all, Harrison is signed thru 2014. Secondly, there's no way in hell they're going to cut him this offseason, especially with how he got stronger with each game coming off of surgery and was an impact player the 2nd half of the season. Finally, he's not that old when you consider how late is career actually started.

Also, just because Hood played 800 snaps, it doesn't mean he is NFL starter quality. Hood graded out as the worst starting DE in the league! If anything, this makes the Steeler's coaching staff look bad by continuing to start him week after week. Other teams have missed on top draft picks but have been smart enough not to just force them out there just because of the $$$ they're making. We've all seen enough of Hood by now to know he is a back-up, at best.

BTW - still shaking my head at the Harrison comment...... :no:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:06 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:What in the hell are you talking about? The Steelers will cut Harrison??? First of all, Harrison is signed thru 2014. Secondly, there's no way in hell they're going to cut him this offseason, especially with how he got stronger with each game coming off of surgery and was an impact player the 2nd half of the season. Finally, he's not that old when you consider how late is career actually started.

Also, just because Hood played 800 snaps, it doesn't mean he is NFL starter quality. Hood graded out as the worst starting DE in the league! If anything, this makes the Steeler's coaching staff look bad by continuing to start him week after week. Other teams have missed on top draft picks but have been smart enough not to just force them out there just because of the $$$ they're making. We've all seen enough of Hood by now to know he is a back-up, at best.

We will have to wait little. I am not talking about his skills. Cap wise he costs too much. He doesn't look like taking a paycut. So, As you can find in several sites on the internet, he will be cut. Just my idea.

I'm not saying that Hood is able to play. We agree he is not. The problem is that we have holes EVERYWHERE. D Line does not impact the game as much as a WR or a LB. So before getting to D Line we have other needs. What do you think our priorities are ?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:55 pm

:sucope:
SoCal Stiller wrote:What in the hell are you talking about? The Steelers will cut Harrison??? First of all, Harrison is signed thru 2014. Secondly, there's no way in hell they're going to cut him this offseason, especially with how he got stronger with each game coming off of surgery and was an impact player the 2nd half of the season. Finally, he's not that old when you consider how late is career actually started.

Here you... Bye bye harrison

Return to Stillers Talk