Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » RGIII

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

RGIII

Postby Pommah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:31 am

Shanahan leaves the guy in for about two quarters after he should have been yanked. Actually, about 3 games after he should have been yanked. The coaches KNOW they aren't going to the super bowl on the backup QB, so they lean on the injured starter like a crutch. You're not going to heal your injured limb playing in an NFL game! But the coaches can't help it, they sacrifice the long term in favor of a much-diminished short-term shot at the ring.

Sound familiar?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: RGIII

Postby Ohio » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:10 am

Pommah I agree with you. I was having a first initial thought... They are tough and they push it to the limit. That's what makes them who they are...

Then I was watching a show on Formula One ( F1 ). It was regarding the "bloody " years. In the 1960s -1970s where you had some pilots dead after almost every race. Well all I know is that now you don't have anymore dead people.

Some goes with Shanahan decision. Today makes sense in some people mind. Tomorrow ( maybe in 10 years ) we will all be thinking how crazy this decision was.

To me it didn't make any sense. Cousins is a very good QB. I loved his pick. I thought he would have won the game ( if he played good enough in the last half quarter ).

Anyway that was something I was saying yesterday. That's RGIII. Injury Prone. I would take Luck all day. If you saw the games yesterday he had by far the best game of the three rookies. Result doesn't matter. I don't think anybody is expecting to win a SB with a rookie QB. But I anticipate great improvements from Luck next year and for the future. I am not sure RGIII can improve. Wilson has 50 -50 chances of improvements.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Ohio I'm with you on most points, but I think RGIII could be schooled into a top tier QB talent for the pro's. He's actually behind Luck in development because he spent his college career runnin' and jukin' whereas Luck spent it all dropping back and picking apart secondaries. RGIII is an absolute freak of nature athletically. I think he could be a drop-back passer with the added threat of mixing it up 5-6 times a game. but they cannot resist letting him run it out for the short-term wow factor. Redskins were a non-entity without him and in the playoffs with him. But I agree, he's going to get hurt and have a Vick-like career if they keep letting him do what he did this year (which they will).

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Pommah wrote:Ohio I'm with you on most points, but I think RGIII could be schooled into a top tier QB talent for the pro's. He's actually behind Luck in development because he spent his college career runnin' and jukin' whereas Luck spent it all dropping back and picking apart secondaries. RGIII is an absolute freak of nature athletically. I think he could be a drop-back passer with the added threat of mixing it up 5-6 times a game. but they cannot resist letting him run it out for the short-term wow factor. Redskins were a non-entity without him and in the playoffs with him. But I agree, he's going to get hurt and have a Vick-like career if they keep letting him do what he did this year (which they will).

Time will tell. I believe in 10 years we will look back and the order of this class of rookies will have at minimum 4 in front of RGIII. Yes ... four

Luck ( which will be an Hall of Fame )
Kirk Cousins
Russell Wilson
Tannehill

Cousins is a better pocket passer. This league is made for pocket passer. If you run you will eventually take to many hits. You can be as athletic as you want ( like a Vince Young, Kordell or Vick ). Problem is that hits will affect you. Just like they do with Ben. Given RGIII injury history I would bet that he will be a back up in 6 years maximum ( teams get tired quickly when they see the franchise players more in the hospital that on the field ). Time will tell. I'm influenced by the fact that I do not see the guy as a pure pocket passer. Don't think he can suceed. I have seen quite a few of Cousins and I love the guy instead.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:45 pm

Ohio you could be right. I haven't seen cousins at all. RGIII is one of the most composed, smart, and well spoken rookie QB's the league has seen in a long time. Maybe he should be a running back or welker-type receiver. For some of these highly athletic QB's, being able to throw well is more of a career curse than a blessing.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:14 pm

Pommah wrote:Ohio you could be right. I haven't seen cousins at all. RGIII is one of the most composed, smart, and well spoken rookie QB's the league has seen in a long time. Maybe he should be a running back or welker-type receiver. For some of these highly athletic QB's, being able to throw well is more of a career curse than a blessing.

Pommah problem is that the guy is superhyped. A lot of good marketing work. Don't get me wrong. RGIII is a good player. His best skill is running. He can throw adequately. But the marketing machine makes it look like he is the only one.

Info for you... He is NOT. The NFL is full of talented QB. Even Flacco ( for how much I love to call him Average Joe ) is not average. He is Average in the League. But if you consider his skills ( deep throw in particular ) he is very good. I mean there are only 32 QB in the world... Nobody is there because of his name. They have to have shown consistently something. If they don't quickly, maximum three years, they are dumped.

I truly believe that the biggest problem in evalueting the talent in Football is that not everything is measured or can be measured. Football smarts. Brady has it. But he couldn't ran as fast or throw as long as others. 6th Round. Kurt Warner. Undrafted. And the list goes on.

What I mean by this is the following : When you drop back and you have 2 seconds to look at the entire field and make a decision... Well how do you measure that ? That is the thing I'm seeing. Russell Wilson throws, Luck throws, Cousins throws... And they mostly made good decisions. RGIII takes off runs and showing his "macho" takes the hit. Problem is ... He is no Ben Roethlisberger. He is very small compare to Ben and most of all... One thing is to be hit by a LB running full speed against you. Other thing is being hit like Ben. Most of the time by a D lineman that is slowed down by somebody. RGIII takes the worst hits in the open field. What happen in Vick's career ? History will repeat itself. I repeat Russell Wilson is no RGIII. He is much smarter. He doesn't show his machism so much. He protects himself. Look at the other day. When he run with Lynch twice. He barely made contact with defenders. The guy is smart.

Time will tell, but for me the RGIII hype is a lot of good marketing work. Let's say straight : The guy is BLACK and can throw. It works magic for Adidas.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:05 am

Ohio we are basically in agreement...I would convert RGIII to a Welker-type receiver. I think he can throw but missing his college years as a drop-back passer, I am not sure he can develop those skills on the pro field. The original RGIII was....Kordell Stewart. Stewart had his moments, but as many of us have said on these pages, the drop-back, fast-read, highly-accurate pocket passer is what wins championships in the NFL. Being able to run when necessary is just bonus, and only that. Kordell should have stayed a receiver, and we should have developed a pocket passer.

And I agree totally with your comments about the skill of these guys...I had the privilege of playing HS with a guy who played D1 and then the pros...all-state (a big state) in three sports...the guy could do anything athletic better than anybody else. If he'd played golf he would have been the low scorer, if he'd wrestled he would have been all-state, etc. etc. These guys are unbelievable freaks of nature. You can bet every man on the field in an NFL game was the best athlete in his high school, and one of the best in his D1 team. It's what makes player evaluation so hard, it often comes down to intangibles. Every Michigan fan thought Drew Henson was a better QB than Tom Brady - and he might have been for the college game. Look at all the USC QB's who look fantastic on a college field only to be mediocre in the pro's - surrounded by so much talent in college they look fantastic.

We can bitch an moan all we want about the Steelers and player drafting and development, but over the long run they are by far one of the better clubs.

Return to Stillers Talk