Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Chip Kelly to Cleveland ?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Chip Kelly to Cleveland ?

Postby Ohio » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:53 am

Just heard.

If it's true I love it. Not so much for the Steelers as much for the League. I truly believe that the guy will have ton of success and the game will change offensively a lot. I love his Ducks playing. Just I don't know if a QB can survive a season in the pros playing that way. By the way... Wish Mariota will become a Steeler when he enters the draft. The guy has it all

Stillers.com Team

Re: Chip Kelly to Cleveland ?

Postby trenches » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:34 pm

If it were to happen I love it for opposite reasons. I love it as a Steelers fan. I don't think his system will translate to the NFL.
  • College talent is watered down so there's speed and talent differential on the field making a speed-based and/or match up-based systems possible. See Michael Vick for how speed translates to the NFL -- one of the most ridiculous athletes ever yet even in his prime he was spectacular to watch and was the consummate double-threat yet yielded only mediocre results (two total playoff wins in six total tries). The NFL has fast players all over the field unlike in college ball. Also, Vick couldn't stay healthy. Take RG3 as a perfect candidate as a Chip Kelly QB and what happened to him as a rookie? You can't expose NFL QB's to hits or they will get hurt. Another thing against Kelly O in the NFL is that he's not going to be able to expose match up problems on every play like he's done at Oregon.
  • Putting together a team to run his system cannot happen over night so even if he could successfully apply his system to the NFL he'd need years to get it together at the NFL level. NFL coaches aren't allotted years and years to become successful. They also don't have endless pockets to recruit (buy) players. He has a salary cap that limits what talent he can have.
  • He has how much NFL experience? ZIP...ZERO...ZILCH. As a player? None. As a coach? None. As a ball boy? None. You can't ride the Pete Carroll bandwagon with Kelly because Carroll coached in the NFL and had minor success in winning a division and a playoff game before heading to USC.

He qualifies as a magic bullet. Just what the Clowns, and the rest of the division, need. I would love to see him on an opposing sideline.

Maybe he'll have success. Maybe he just knows how to deal with pro athletes. Maybe he knows a bunch of pro-level assistant coaches who will step right in and dominate. It's possible, but I'm calling Steve Spurrier with Kelly. And, oh by the way, Spurrier did at least have pro (USFL) experience on his resume before he dominated his way to a 12-20 NFL record.

:sudancin:

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:44 pm

I neglected to add the whole 700 plays a game part of his offensive advantage at Oregon. What toll would that take on his defense? It's not just about having an offensive roster to support his game plan but a defensive roster as well. You just can't have the same depth in the NFL as you can in college due to NFL roster limits. He has a lot of factors adjust to be successful in the NFL.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Sadly, Cleveland has moved on to plan C. I'm highly disappointed.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:35 pm

trenches wrote:Sadly, Cleveland has moved on to plan C. I'm highly disappointed.

What do you mean ?

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:56 pm

Ohio wrote:What do you mean ?

From Chris Mortensen:
Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam III and team executives are headed back to Cleveland from Arizona and will start their coaching search over again without Oregon coach Chip Kelly in the mix, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

He was plan B because plan A was Doug Marrone from Syracuse that was hired by the Bills earlier today.

So for the Mistake on the Lake...it's onto plan C. Where's a crappy McDonald's jingle when you need one... Doodoo doodoodooo... I'm lovin' in!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:56 pm

trenches wrote:
Ohio wrote:What do you mean ?

From Chris Mortensen:
Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam III and team executives are headed back to Cleveland from Arizona and will start their coaching search over again without Oregon coach Chip Kelly in the mix, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

He was plan B because plan A was Doug Marrone from Syracuse that was hired by the Bills earlier today.

So for the Mistake on the Lake...it's onto plan C. Where's a crappy McDonald's jingle when you need one... Doodoo doodoodooo... I'm lovin' in!

Thanks. Couldn't find the news anywhere

Return to Stillers Talk