Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Free Agents Stays/Goes

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Free Agents Stays/Goes

Postby pinpon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:35 pm

Mark Kaboly gave his take on the pending free agents, italicized. I give mine, normal print.

Will Allen - Re-sign
Charlie Batch - Re-sign
Plaxico Burress - Gone
Larry Foote - Re-sign
Ramon Foster - Gone
Casey Hampton - Gone
Brandon Johnson - Gone
David Johnson - Re-sign
Byron Leftwich - Gone
Doug Legursky - Re-sign
Justin King - Gone
Keenan Lewis - Gone
Rashard Mendenhall - Gone
Ryan Mundy - Gone
Leonard Pope - Gone
Max Starks - Gone
Mike Wallace - Gone
Greg Warren - Re-sign 2 d

Will Allen, Re-sign. He played decent and since I am going to kick Mundy to the curb I will resign him at the veteran minimum only.

Charlie Batch- I would keep him at a minimum salary or slightly above and bring in a young QB to be the backup after this upcoming year. His Baltimore win merits another season.

Plexico Burress - Resign at veteran minimum only. Lacks on special teams, but still seems to have some skills our other receivers don't in the red zone.

Larry Foote- Gone. We have seen enough. He had his time, we need to move on.

Ramon Foster- Gone. Below average guard who has been pressed into starter duties. Too inconsistent in pass protecion.

Casey Hampton. Gone. See Larry Foote.

Brandon Johnson- Gone. Did little on special teams to stand out.

David Johnson- Gone. Will Johnson stole his spot, played better, and is under contract. DJ had plenty of time to show his wares, and did little to merit coming back.

Doug Legursky - Resign at minimum only. Decent backup center, horrible backup at G.

Byron Leftwich- Gone. Can't stay healthy and hasn't shown much. Time to find a younger option.

Justin King- Gpne. Or can come back at minimum as a camp body.

Keenan Lewis- Resign if price is right. Played solid and seemed to flourish, but needs to show more than being a one year wonder.

Reshard Mendenhall - Gone. Too much bad blood and he is a head case. Talented but can't put it all together.

Ryan Mundy- Gone. Played horrible and it makes one wonder about the player evaluation we have going on. How he was the first safety off the bench for years and then come out and play the way he did begs the question. WTF??

Leonard Pope- Resign at veteran minimum only. Made a few plays and would help with Heath Miller's uncertain status due to injury.

Max Starks- Resign if the price is right. After years of horrible play he has developed into a solid left tackle.

Mike Wallace-Gone. Seemingly took down the whole WR crew this year. He wants to get paid. So be it.....

Greg Warren- Gone. I believe we can find another long snapper at a minimum salary. A UDFA out of college.
Last edited by pinpon on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Free Agents Stays/Goes

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:01 pm

I agree with your assessment except for Foster. I think he is both versatile and underrated. He has had to hold up the right side nearly all by himself some games due to the continual rotation of below average or injured RT's. Meanwhile, the LG, even Colon, appears to play much better, regardless of who it is, with Starks (a fixture this season) on his left side. It's difficult to fully evaluate o-lineman individually because so much of their success is predicated on who's standing next to them.

Also, it has already been proven twice that we NEED to sign Starks. We just need to cut him first so he works to keep himself in shape.

;)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Concur with these. Especially comments about Mundy. I mean, we have two aging safeties, and this is the guy off the bench? wtf?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:44 am

SoCal, I agree that Foster is versatile and durable. I thought he played well 2 years ago when we went to the SB. However, I think he has reached ceiling.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:28 am

I disagree about re-signing Charlie Batch. He will turn 39 during next season. Ben has been injury prone since his 2nd year in the league. Charlie had a good run, but it's time to move on and find a solid back-up for No. 7 for the next several years.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:03 am

Steelers76 wrote:I disagree about re-signing Charlie Batch. He will turn 39 during next season. Ben has been injury prone since his 2nd year in the league. Charlie had a good run, but it's time to move on and find a solid back-up for No. 7 for the next several years.

Totally agree. Let's draft a QB. No need in keeping in injury prones back-ups. We might be the only team where the back-ups are more injured that the starting QB. Enough said

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:37 pm

The reason to keep Batch is we have always gone with 3 QB's - and for good reason. If we ditch both Batch and Lefty then we have no backup QB who knows the system and personnel. But maybe it's better to pick up a solid retread with about 3-4 years of NFL experience and draft a QB in 3rd or 4th round. I'm ambivalent about it.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:58 pm

Pommah wrote:The reason to keep Batch is we have always gone with 3 QB's - and for good reason. If we ditch both Batch and Lefty then we have no backup QB who knows the system and personnel. But maybe it's better to pick up a solid retread with about 3-4 years of NFL experience and draft a QB in 3rd or 4th round. I'm ambivalent about it.

This is one of the reasons they have mini-camp and training camp; For rookies or F.A.s to learn the system. If it was mid-season I'd agree with you, but it's not. It has to happen sometime anyways. Batch is at/near the end of his career, so the sooner the team prepares for it and moves on, the better off they'll be.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 am

I agree with Pommah on Batch. There is definately a good connection between he and Ben and Batch has shown that he can still play at a high level. After next season, Batch can walk off the field and put on the QB coach hat. Meanwhile, I say we draft a big pocket passer QB in the mid rounds - someone who didn't play for a major college and flies under the radar. Pommah made a great point in another thread that many of these college QB's from top tier schools grade out better in college because of the talent around them. If you can scout a solid QB on a shit team then surround him with talent, you could find a steal in the mid or even late rounds. When your starter and back-up are over 30, you have to carry a 3rd in case of injury and to develop.

:sucrutches:

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:34 am

Conversation always turns to backup QB's doesn't it? Way Ben plays and his advancing age makes this more of an issue that before. If Ben goes down early in the season, Charlie may not be a full season QB, and Lefty is gone baby gone or the Steelers have just completely gone mad.

I STILL think we should get Tebow

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:13 pm

PGHeaven wrote:I STILL think we should get Tebow

You're nuckin futs!!! :yes:

Return to Stillers Talk