Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:18 am

Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillDodger » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:19 pm

The one distressing thing Ben did in that game was he seemed totally oblivious to the pass rushers around him. He just stood there instead of running from it to buy time. I've seen him do this on rare occasion before, and I'd think the coaches would point this out to him.

Ben's picks are mostly from underestimating the opposing secondary, which I believe is caused by him having no problem with our secondary during practices. The team runs plays in practice, our DBs are well off our receivers, Ben has no problem completing passes on certain routes.... But in the actual game, he expects the opposing secondary to react like ours in practice, and then gets burned because the opposing corners react so much quicker to the ball.

(Although that pick that cost us the Cinci game was from a flat-out horrible throw.)

IMO, Ben's injury in the KC game derailed the Stillers' season. Our personnel on offense was so compromised, I don't think any other QB could have done well. I'm starting to wonder if training might be the real problem.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby JimPgh1 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Well, the Steelers continued their penchant for beating themselves yesterday, so I agree with most of your critique...aside from the defense, that is.
I know that you feel the need to gripe about LeBeau on a weekly basis, but the defense was the only thing that kept them in game yesterday.
Yes, they failed to stop that pass that set up the winning FG, which pissed me off, but they DID keep the Bengals out of FG range shortly before that...after the 54 yd FG predictably failed, giving the Bengals a short distance to a FG try.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:07 pm

"After all, what have the under-achieving starters done to merit PT ?? "

Has been one of my pet peeves on the way Tomlin runs this team. This is the pro's, not college where a Senior gets to stay in because it's his last year. If you can't perform, sit on the bench and think about it while the next guy gets his shot. Doesn't happen on this team. Starters who get to stay in the game no matter what totally demoralizes the guys on the bench. Even if they work their ass off in practice, it doesn't matter, so eventually they start slacking off, too. And then if the starter gets hurt the sub is not ready, mentally or physically, to perform.

Boot those 15 guys and supplement the draft with many hungry free agents. Let it be known spots on the Steelers are up for grabs. See who shows up and wants it bad enough.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby SteelTank » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:14 pm

The single biggest problem is Colbert.

The D was fine this year in my opinion probably because Tomlin got more involved in how the secondary played after week 3. I think it was week three when he said in his press conference that he would correct the problems with giving up late scoring drives. That problem, for the most part, was solved after that game. Of course, Ike Taylor going down killed us because there is no talent behind Taylor - That's Colbert's problem.

Then again, why did it take so long for Tomlin to get involved. Dick realy has got to go because he's too much of a road block for Tomlin to retool the D the way he wants it to be. Seems as if Tomlim is still too Timid when it comes to confronting Lebeau and making changes.

Tomlin benched several starters this year including Mendy and Wally so I don't think there is a problem with not holding players accountable its just that there are no other players with any kind of real talent to make a difference. Once again, Colbert's doing.

The last good pick on D for Colbert was Larry Timmons in 2007. That's a lot of years with nothing to show for it. If we don't get lucky with James Harrison who was cut three times then this team is an also-ran the past 5 years.

Start cleaning house by getting rid of Colbert with an understanding that it might take a couple of free agents and good drafts to get this team back to where it needs to be.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:17 am

Does Tomlin have zero imput into free agent signings or drafts? You are saying that he meekly takes the team that Colbert gives him? I recall that Bill Cowher had huge input into the team around him, so much that what's his name, the GM before Colbert got fired in a turf war. I don't know if Tomlin is up to rebuilding this team either and that is completely where they are at. No jerking yourself off about this adjustment or that. The talent has dropped off to mediocre and Cowher's team is aging out of the league. That's right Cowher's players.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:31 am

And holy crap!!! Last years draft might have been the worst yet. Mill watched De Castro enough to label him a homo getting his ass whipped.. I do agree though that Colbert might have worn out his ability--forgot to add that.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:27 pm

There goes Mill making sense again. We were worse than our record this year.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Has anyone read the media lately-- lots of bullshit about how can a team this talented not be going to the playoffs? What team are they watching? This team talented?? Do talented teams lose to San Diego, Tennessee, Oakland, Cleveland, Cincy and Dallas? Green Bay beat Tennessee 55 to 7. That is what a talented team does...

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:17 pm

First off Merry Christmas to Mill and all the staff at Stillers.com! I use to write for a website and know how much work it takes.

Where do we start with this group? Taylor can't be replaced because there is no one to take his place. Same with Harrison, Polamalu, and Clark. Get Harrison to take a pay cut and put him on a pitch count. He could be effective still in 25-35 snaps. Problem is, idk if Worilds is ready for half the snaps??

Butler started off good, but has regressed. I had flashbacks to Shitpulveda with all those punts going into the ez.

People love to hate on Mill, but the reality is he's right, has been right, and will probably always be right. LeBeau, Tomlin, and Haley are in over their heads. A truly shit performance this year by all. Sad state of affairs.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Personally, I hate to say it, but that's probably the end of our run. The defense is aging and they are very few up and comers on that side of the ball. Harrison is still a good player as is Ike. Both are long in the tooth. At some point they have to cut bait with some of these guys like: Farrior, Hampton, McFadden, Aaron Smith, Foote, etc.
The offense has more youth, but the offensive line needs an influx of young talent.

I wrote the above after we lost to the Jackers in the SB. Unfortunately you can sub out a few of those names and put in a few others. The sad thing is, that was the end of the run!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:47 am

pinpon, yup you had it right. It was obvious in that Super Bowl, a highly winnable Super Bowl given that the Packers had a lot of injuries, that the Steelers were on the downside as an organization. I am not sure what there is to rebuild around at this point though. Receiving corps is okay but small and not able to play a whole season. Offensive line continues to suck and I am not sure with this season if Adams and DeCastro are going to be what they need. Defense? Boy there just isn't much there--maybe the young corners are getting better but LB and D lines are in big trouble. Hood absolutely cannot stand his ground and other teams ran over him.
Time for Colbert and the fucking entire scouting staff to get off their asses and stop living on the last Super Bowl ready talent pool...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:56 pm

"Butler started off good, but has regressed."

This has happened to every one of our kickers/punters for as long as I can remember. Why in hell is that? Only thing I can think of is that it's really piss poor coaching.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:28 pm

This sucks! Now I know what it feels like to be a Bungles or Clowns fan with nothing to root for the final week. Worst yet, there is no fucking hockey to ease my pain. I'm close to saying fuck all sports and just take up sky diving or something!!!

:supissed: :sufu: :suahhbs: :supissed: :sufu: :suahhbs:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:03 am

You are so right about how Momlin should be on the hot seat, but he probably won't. As Ron Kook put it re: that subject "He can finish 7-9 this year, and 7-9 next year, and I don't think he'd be fired. That's just not The Rooney Way."

Sadly, the fuckhead is right.

I'm really getting sick of this "Rooney Way" shit. Just because it worked out for Noll and Cowher here doesn't mean that Momlin should stay here for at least 10 more years re: of what he actually does on the field. Take your heads out of your asses, gentleman.

:supissed:

Return to Stillers Talk