Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » steelers need to dump all bubble screens.

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

steelers need to dump all bubble screens.

Postby clyde » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:56 pm

WHY SO MANY BUBBLE SCREENS? THEY NEVER GAIN MUCH YARDAGE AND AS YOU CAN SEE WHEN THEY GET BLOWN UP THEY GET BLOWN UP. IF THIS IS THE BEST THIS TEAM CAN DO WITH ALL THE PLAYERS THEY HAVE MAYBE A COACHING CHANGE IS NEEDED. ESPECIALLY WITH THEIR DEFENSE.

Stillers.com Team

Re: steelers need to dump all bubble screens.

Postby trenches » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Clyde, I personally hate the bubble screen. One purpose is to keep DB's honest but if it doesn't help you a) gain yardage or b) get over top of the DB's then the value is lost.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby relictele » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:19 pm

The semi-official explanation is that none of the current running backs excel at bouncing it outside and/or the coaches don't want them to do so.

Instead, the screen pass is a substitute for an outside running play.

I think it's ridiculous, short-sighted, cowardly and predictable. In addition, passing instead of running lessens the 'surprise' factor of play-action passes since the defense doesn't expect the run as often. New England destroyed Houston with play action last night. Just another one of the standard (read: successful) plays the Steelers shy away from in their attempts to be clever, and in doing so they can lose to horrid opposition.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:05 am

relictele wrote:Instead, the screen pass is a substitute for an outside running play.
I think it's ridiculous, short-sighted, cowardly and predictable.

Nice post! Well stated.
:suplusone:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:20 pm

And the damn bubble screen attempt in the fourth quarter was blown up as the Cowboys knew it was coming which caused Ben to hesitate and then get sacked for a huge loss. Not much of a secondary receiving option--I guess Ben should have thrown it twenty yards out of bounds, but instead he held it and Beachem Ole'd the Dallas D End who got Ben from the backside. Haley calls that damn play so often that there is absolutely no deception with it either.

Practice Squad

Postby steelkings » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Just My opinion

The bubble screen does what it is supposed to do. It requires the defensive end to hesitate a little before he bull rushes our slow footed shitty right tackle.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:12 pm

steelkings wrote:Just My opinion

The bubble screen does what it is supposed to do. It requires the defensive end to hesitate a little before he bull rushes our slow footed shitty right tackle.

It's usage, be it bad timing or bad execution, has NOT served the purpose for the Steelers though. So you either need to adjust the execution and/or find better timing in the play calling. They'd be better off getting Heath (who has 8 TD's and has been clutch all year) more involved to keep the pass rush honest, IMO.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:20 pm

LenSherwood wrote:And the damn bubble screen attempt in the fourth quarter was blown up as the Cowboys knew it was coming which caused Ben to hesitate and then get sacked for a huge loss. Not much of a secondary receiving option--I guess Ben should have thrown it twenty yards out of bounds, but instead he held it and Beachem Ole'd the Dallas D End who got Ben from the backside. Haley calls that damn play so often that there is absolutely no deception with it either.

"ole'd" :D :D

Oh man, that f******g bubble screen makes blood shoot out of my eyeballs. I hate that thing even when it works. :D

I get the whole keep em honest help out the R tackle thing but really Todd, every other play? Bruce Arians used to live on the draw and I hated that MFer as well. I'd rather see them use 46 and 83 out of the backfield/line more often

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:42 am

So they cut back on that Fucked bubble screen and what did they do? They ran that miserable cancer ridden doomed shit awful draw play all day

FIRE HALEY! ITS NOT TOO LATE!

Return to Stillers Talk