Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Taking Hope to a New Level

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Taking Hope to a New Level

Postby steelkings » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:49 am

From NFL.com
Back to the Steelers: They still can clinch the division with two wins and two Ravens losses. That would leave the entire division at 9-7 and hand the Steelers the tiebreaker based on head-to-head results.

I mean, Seriously? NFL.COM is a bunch of Idiots. Is the AFCN the only 3 team division in the NFL?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000113048/article/afc-playoff-picture-steelers-toy-with-oblivion

Practice Squad

Re: Taking Hope to a New Level

Postby Steelblud » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Apparently.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:07 pm

I have no problem with the article excluding the Brownies from consideration, maybe it was just a typo and meant to sat all three contending teams. Whatever. What confuses me is the premise. If the Ravens lose out and we win out we are tied at 9-7. We win the division based on head to head? How? We split the season series with them. I thought if we split it went to division record next. Given the scenario of us both being 9-7 we would both then be 4-2 in the division so it would go to the next tiebreaker: conference record. They would be 8-4 and the Steelers 6-6. What am I missing? (Aside from a dose of reality as to this scenario actually playing out...)

Practice Squad

Postby steelkings » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:49 pm

In a three way tie the Steelers eliminate the Bengals from the tiebreaker and the playoffs. Ravens and Steelers have 4-2 div records.
Common opponents:Bengals, Browns, Chiefs, Cowboys, Raiders, Chargers, Skins, Broncos and Giants

Steelers 6-5
Ravens 7-4

I dont get it?

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:07 pm

steelkings wrote:In a three way tie the Steelers eliminate the Bengals from the tiebreaker and the playoffs. Ravens and Steelers have 4-2 div records.
Common opponents:Bengals, Browns, Chiefs, Cowboys, Raiders, Chargers, Skins, Broncos and Giants

Steelers 6-5
Ravens 7-4

I dont get it?

In the three-way tie (similar to a two-way tie), you first compare the head-to-head records but in this case using the combined head-to-head records of all three. No single team eliminates any other. Steelers would be 3-1 while the Ravens would be 2-2 and Bengals would be 1-3 -- thus, the Steelers win the division.

Practice Squad

Postby steelkings » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:08 pm

trenches wrote:
steelkings wrote:In a three way tie the Steelers eliminate the Bengals from the tiebreaker and the playoffs. Ravens and Steelers have 4-2 div records.

Steelers 6-5
Ravens 7-4

I dont get it?

In the three-way tie (similar to a two-way tie), you first compare the head-to-head records but in this case using the combined head-to-head records of all three. No single team eliminates any other. Steelers would be 3-1 while the Ravens would be 2-2 and Bengals would be 1-3 -- thus, the Steelers win the division.

Would not the steelers eliminate the Bengals based on a sweep?

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:34 pm

steelkings, in a 3-way tie you don't do individual head-to-head match ups. It's based on the collective records against the other teams tied for the division.

If you had a 4-way tie and two teams were 4-2 and the other two were 2-4 then you'd eliminate the two 2-4 teams and fall back to standard head-to-head criteria. In the Steelers' case, though, in a three way tie, they'd outright win the division based on their 3-1 record against the Ravens and Bengals.

Practice Squad

Postby steelkings » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:42 am

:cheers: Then screw it. Lets Win the division! That would give us 3 consecutive home games. Just think how many of our home fans would relish the 2 extra quarters of football they would get. :subngtowl: :arrow: GTG - Beatin the traffic!

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:09 am

Thanks, Trenches. That makes sense. Now we just have to win two games, have the Ratbirds lose two, split the atom, cure cancer, and find Jimmy Hoffa...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:02 pm

The Ravens aren't exactly setting the world on fire so this scenerio is not that far-fetched as it initially would appear.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:35 am

SoCal Stiller wrote:The Ravens aren't exactly setting the world on fire so this scenerio is not that far-fetched as it initially would appear.

You're right, SoCal, but I have trouble being remotely optimistic this season, after all the letdowns. Every time the team has shown me a glimmer of hope they seem to have followed it up with a complete shitfest. It's that inconsistency and complete lack of identity and cohesion that has driven me so nuts this year. That having been said, I am all for a surprising six game winning streak starting this Sunday.

Return to Stillers Talk