Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers vs. Crygirls - what do you expect?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Steelers vs. Crygirls - what do you expect?

Postby trenches » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:33 pm

Steelers on the road are mediocre (3-4) while the Crygirls at home suck against the spread (0-6). On the other hand, the Crygirls are 3-3 at home while the Steelers are 3-4 on the road against the spread. The Crygirls have won 4 of 5 overall and 2 of 3 at home. As LenSherwood would point out, stats don't necessarily mean jack! So, in Len's honor we'll weigh some other factors... Two of Dallas' wins are against Philly, one against Cleveland and the fourth was against an up and down but respectable Bengals team (questionable wins). They faced a decent team in Washington at home and lost.

The Steelers are getting more respect in Vegas than I'd expect yet Dallas isn't exactly demanding respect themselves. This has me having trouble reconciling this coming week. Coming off a crappy loss I'd expect the Steelers to be more focused. Maybe the road trip and road routine will actually work in their favor. Ben will be sharper. Mendy being suspended for being a dipshit might serve as a wake up call and the the team could be more cohesive. Still, the injuries are a factor and I don't know which team will show up on Sunday. I'm still leaning optimistic and I'm venturing a 23-20 win this week.

What's your take?

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Steelers vs. Crygirls - what do you expect?

Postby Still Peon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:27 pm

If I were the head coach, I'd be using every game for the remainder of the season as a testing lab to see what works for the team. Win and losses be damned, we need to develop more cohesion for next year.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Well we will find out what this team is made of, won't we? I've been pessimistic because I thought Ben was hurt worse than it appears he actually is. I believe the team is better than their record. They need the mental fortitude to play like they are capable of. In 2005, I think it was the realization that it was Bettis' last year and they played their hearts out at the end of the season. I don't know if there is any catalyst like that for this year or not (somehow I don't think that the realization that it's Mendenhall's last year will inspire anybody) but it's going to take something to get them out of their funk. As Mr. Berra said, albeit of a different sport, 90% of this game is half mental.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:56 am

trenches, thanks for the recognition, I guess! Thanks always for your work on this site... never mean any disrespect and I will say that I hope my gloomy outlook turns out to be 100 percent wrong and the Steelers go and win Number 7.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:08 am

How can you not be worried when, as you say, Trenches, you don't know which Steeler team will show up? Ike's absence clearly hurt us last week, but maybe with Dez Bryant's stinky pinky the youngster DB's will be able to step up a little better this week. Romo is a huge choke artist. Ben, as you say, WILL be sharper. Get ready, Mill, looks like Woodley's back!!! Watching last night's fumblefest made me think that the Steeler's are actually better off that the Bungholes won: we don't need any more reasons to relax and get complacent. I respectfully disagree with you, Peon. We control our own destiny and can ensure ourselves a playoff spot starting with a win this Sunday. As we have all seen, especially the last few years, it's anyone's tourney once you get in. Get hot at the right time and a few lucky bounces and...who knows? That having been said, I agree, Pommah, that there doesn't seem to be any motivating factor, certainly nothing the likes and magnitude of Bussy's last year. In addition (Tomlin) the team doesn't even seem to have an identity or a focus about them. It's been a VERY frustrating season to watch, but i always hold out hope that they get their shit together. Heck, just spoiling the Cowgirls' hopes would be motivation enough for me...

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:07 pm

LenSherwood wrote:trenches, thanks for the recognition, I guess! Thanks always for your work on this site... never mean any disrespect and I will say that I hope my gloomy outlook turns out to be 100 percent wrong and the Steelers go and win Number 7.

Lol, Len. No disrespect was ever taken! Nor would I intend disrespect in return. I have great respect for many of the posters here and appreciate the variety of viewpoints that everyone brings.

I usually have a pretty strong opinion of how I *suspect* games will go by Friday but this week leaves me sitting on the fence. This team is hard to figure out and Dallas is pretty enigmatic themselves. If last week wasn't a wake up call for the Steelers then nothing can be. I think the team will play better but can't say I expect it (see OAK, TEN, CLE, SD).

Despite sucking for a while, btw, I still hate friggin' Dallas. :sufu:

Return to Stillers Talk