Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Wary Of The Next 2 Games...

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Wary Of The Next 2 Games...

Postby Steelers76 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:51 pm

The next 2 games have me somewhat worried. Both feature 2 teams that I'm not sure which version we'll get. (Think The Pro versions of The Pitt Football Team.) San Diego could very well be in contention right now if it weren't for a couple of late game collapses. Off the top of my head, they blew contests they had won against New Orleans, Denver, and more recently, Baltimore with the infamous "4th and 29 play." Despite their erratic offense their D remains solid, and might pose a challenge for a just coming off 3 missed games No. 7. Both Rivers and Romo can look like Montana and Elway one week, while turning into Palko and McCoy the next. Hopefully SD will be somewhat demoralized for this game, as it was reported yesterday that The Chargers will be firing not only Norv Turner and his entire coaching staff at season's end, but their G.M. as well. As the old cliche goes, "I guess we'll see"....

Stillers.com Team

Re: Wary Of The Next 2 Games...

Postby trenches » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:28 pm

Steelers76,

I'm with you -- you make good points. Another concern I have in facing Phyllis Rivers is that he turns the ball over a ton yet our D is averaging < 1 turnover/game and has failed to have more than 2 turnovers in any single game. On the other hand, our O has given up 17 turnovers in just the last 5 games. Even if you take away the Cleveland debacle, that's still 9 turnovers in 4 games. It's tough to play negative in the turnover department and continue to win.

Still, the boys are at home this week and I certainly the chances with a home game much better than on the road. Especially against a warm weather team facing a ton of issues of its own.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:33 pm

I'm a transplant out west so having witnessed more Charger games than I'm willing to admit, I can tell you that the Chargers O-line is a freakin mess. I think they are past 3rd string deep at a couple positions and that has been their biggest problem. I will be very disappointed if we're not applying constant pressure in Rivers' face all game. Look for a ton of 3 to 5 step drops.

On the other hand, their D has mostly been solid so don't expect our offense to light it up, especially with BB coming off injury.
:subngtowl:

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:14 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:I'm a transplant out west so having witnessed more Charger games than I'm willing to admit, I can tell you that the Chargers O-line is a freakin mess. I think they are past 3rd string deep at a couple positions and that has been their biggest problem. I will be very disappointed if we're not applying constant pressure in Rivers' face all game. Look for a ton of 3 to 5 step drops.

On the other hand, their D has mostly been solid so don't expect our offense to light it up, especially with BB coming off injury.
:subngtowl:

Chargers Oline is man handling the steelers pussified lame pass rush

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:14 pm

All of my fears came true with this game.

The team doesn't have the on field or coaching leadership to get anything done consistently. They've lost to more losers than they've won against legit contenders. It's funny how Mike Wallace's cowardly performances perfectly parallel the team's performances. Maybe Wallace is actually representing after all...he's just one cog in an underachieving wheel.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby relictele » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:36 am

Time for all fans serious and otherwise to ask this question:

Are the bad attitudes and lack of motivation (resting on laurels) a coincidence since the coach is a great man-manager, or are the bad attitudes and lack of motivation (resting on laurels) a reflection of the coach, whose motivational credentials may be vastly overstated based on his now-tiresome line of patter?

Practice Squad

Postby Rollers » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:21 pm

Tomlin is not a good game day coach. I don't believe he has any control over his assistants. Look at the discipline issues. Brown should NOT have run out of bounds just before overtime. That was a coaching issue. What is up with the special teams? You mean to tell me we can't get people to stop holding? No one stays in their lane on kick coverage. Can't tackle on kicks and he fired the special teams coach?

Tomlin will be here the next 10 years. Get used to it. Question is can we get some talent through the draft on the defensive line this year? I would be great with spending our first two picks on the two best defensive linemen in the draft available to us where we pick

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Sun and Steel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:44 pm

The team is poorly coached. The vet leadership that MT inherited from Bill Cowher are now all gone aside from Ben, Troy and Max. The team has a load of talent at the skill positions. The fundamentals however are BAD BAD BAD! None of the three WR in "the best WR core in the league" can hold on to the ball, as can none of the backs. This is due to an inability to reinforce the fundamentals during the run up to the season (camp) and practice. I liked Tomlin a lot better when he was on House.....

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby prowlin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:55 am

I place 90% of the blame on Tomlin as well. The team is a huge assortment of mental errors and lack of conditioning.
I don't see any passion whatsoever from any of the "big money" receivers. Brown made 3 huge mistakes in a row that cost them
the game today, one right in front of Tomlin (running out of bounds to save the Cowgirls a timeout) and Tomlin didn't even show any emotion or portray that it was a mistake at all. I think he is clueless in many ways as well that are really starting to surface with this debacle of a season. It's amazing after all these losses that one big win next week against the Bungles could land us in the driving seat for the last Wildcard. As far as veterans who are there to play, don't forget to count Miller in. The guy is a true warrior in every way and shows up to play every week. It has to be hard for him to see this team pick up one bust after another and nobody owning up to anything. Ben is Ben and he is going to play hard every week. Troy, we all love him, but man he is at 80% right now and it's painful to watch (although he's still better than this rooks out there that have no idea what tackling or coverage is...cough #35, #21). Harrison makes 2 plays a game now (nowhere near his 4-5 plays a game before he got paid status), Woodley looks like he's stoned half the time, and Foote just can't keep up. I have no problem begging Hines to come back and play if I'm Rooney. But of course he won't. What I wouldn't give to see a little passion out there for the game. Is that too much to ask?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Still Peon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:21 pm

prowlin wrote:I have no problem begging Hines to come back and play if I'm Rooney.

Indeed......anyone think it's a coincidence that our top 2 receivers turn into dipshits the year he's not here? I don't.

Practice Squad

Postby Lumberjacklambert » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:01 am

Rollers...didn't we shred wood together at Arlington?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby StillDodger » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:31 am

If we win and sneak in the back door, great....... But with the way the Stillers played, losing to teams that NFL cupcakes have beaten (Chargers got blasted at home to the mighty Carolina Pussies, Clowns lost at home to the Deadskins w/o RG3), the Steelers deserve missing the postseason.

The most disappointing player this season has been Antonio Brown..... AKA "Showboat"...... Maybe had he focused on his receiving skills rather than his "touchdown dance", we might be talking division title instead of next season's draft.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby StillDodger » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:35 am

Rollers wrote:Tomlin is not a good game day coach. I don't believe he has any control over his assistants. Look at the discipline issues. Brown should NOT have run out of bounds just before overtime. That was a coaching issue. What is up with the special teams? You mean to tell me we can't get people to stop holding? No one stays in their lane on kick coverage. Can't tackle on kicks and he fired the special teams coach?

Tomlin will be here the next 10 years. Get used to it. Question is can we get some talent through the draft on the defensive line this year? I would be great with spending our first two picks on the two best defensive linemen in the draft available to us where we pick

Next season will define Tomlin....... If the Stillers take on more water, his tenure could be a record short one.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Sun and Steel » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:52 pm

You are right Prowlin, huge oversight with me forgetting Miller. If we had 3 more Heath Millers on the team to play whatever position you could line them up at there would be a few more Lombardis added to the Coca-Cola Great Hall over the past 8 years...

Return to Stillers Talk