Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Plaxico Back With Steelers?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Plaxico Back With Steelers?

Postby Steelers76 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:03 am

According to The Pittsburgh P.G., Plaxico Burress will most likely sign with The Steelers to replace injured WR Jericho Cotchery.

Personally, I like this move.(If it happens.) I think Burress still has "it", as evidenced by his good season with a shitty N.Y. Jets Offense last year.( 45 rec for 612 yards 13.6 ypc 8 TDs.) Plus with Brown still out, his 6'5 frame would at least open up the passing lanes if nothing else. Funny, Ben lobbied for him to be brought back a few years ago, and now that he's here, Benny might not get to throw to him.

Thoughts?

Hall of Famer

Re: Plaxico Back With Steelers?

Postby PGHeaven » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:31 am

Steelers76 wrote:According to The Pittsburgh P.G., Plaxico Burress will most likely sign with The Steelers to replace injured WR Jericho Cotchery.

Personally, I like this move.(If it happens.) I think Burress still has "it", as evidenced by his good season with a shitty N.Y. Jets Offense last year.( 45 rec for 612 yards 13.6 ypc 8 TDs.) Plus with Brown still out, his 6'5 frame would at least open up the passing lanes if nothing else. Funny, Ben lobbied for him to be brought back a few years ago, and now that he's here, Benny might not get to throw to him.

Thoughts?

There are several slants here. First off, how could he help the team? Is he just a one year deal to bridge us until the 5th reciever can compete for a starting job again next year?

Well, I think Plax has a few ways to really help us. We dont have someone who can do the fade like Plax can. Forget the slug Wallace. He has obviously mailed it in.

But the reason why I like it is - it gives us fans something interesting to tune into. I think the season may be over if we hear that Ben is 4 games away from recovery. This will add some hot sauce to the nachos

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:34 am

PGHeaven wrote:
Steelers76 wrote:According to The Pittsburgh P.G., Plaxico Burress will most likely sign with The Steelers to replace injured WR Jericho Cotchery.

Thoughts?

There are several slants here. First off, how could he help the team? Is he just a one year deal to bridge us until the 5th reciever can compete for a starting job again next year?

Well, I think Plax has a few ways to really help us. We dont have someone who can do the fade like Plax can. Forget the slug Wallace. He has obviously mailed it in.

But the reason why I like it is - it gives us fans something interesting to tune into. I think the season may be over if we hear that Ben is 4 games away from recovery. This will add some hot sauce to the nachos

At his age, 35, I'm betting he'll be a 1 year deal, but that's just a guess. But you're right; It gives us something interesting to tune into, especially if Ben will be out for 3 or 4 more weeks, or until the end of the season.

Speaking of which, with word that Lord Byron will be out of Sunday's Game at Cleveland, The Steelers are looking to sign a Back-Up QB. Some names I heard tossed around; Mike Kafka,(Former Eagles Back-Up), Tyler Palko, and even Donavon McNabb.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:06 am

Donovan McNabb - I would rather see the singer Donovan - as interesting as Plax would be - I think I would have to commit Hari Kari if McNabb was brought in. lol!

Practice Squad

Postby CoachWhitman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:17 pm

What about getting Seneca Wallace? He's got a decent arm and is mobile

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:47 pm

Kurt Warner still looks kind of in shape? :lol:

I like the Burress move a lot because it adds size and as someone mentioned the fade pass. Charlie fuckin Batch is going to surprise everyone and kick some major ass next week. Charlie may not be the best athlete, but he is smarter than Ben and Lefty combined.

:surockin:

Practice Squad

Postby CoachWhitman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Jason LaCanfora tweeting that Steelers are signing QB Brian Hoyer

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Who the hell is that?

Edit: Nevermind - ex Patriot but don't know much about him otherwise

Practice Squad

Postby CoachWhitman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:01 pm

He was Tom Brady's back up in New England in 10 and 11.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Still CA Still » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Two good signings; always concerned about a wideout being in "game shape" after a long time away. (Sign, em, tweak a hammy and out for 3 weeks). Still, will put some pressure on 17 as far as his grossly inflated self worth and give BR7 a great target upon his return. Would love to see Burress ride out his career here now that he knows what he threw away.
Hoyer is a solid football player with a good college and pro pedigree.
Agree also that Charlie will surprise next week. He can still play. Interesting matchup of our O-line against Cleveland's down men; the Braahns have a solid unit there.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:10 pm

OK, Steelers sign Burress and Hoyer. Two questions:

1) If the injury to Leftwich was bad enough to immediately go on IR or PUP or whatever and force us to sign another QB, why didn't it get addressed in the critical, SEASON-CHANGING GAME two nights ago? Obviously the blame falls on Momlin for not having the balls to make a call over a player's wishes, but I almost felt like Leftwich was selfishly hanging in there to give himself a trade shot for next year, not to help the Stillers win. He couldn't throw the ball. He must have known Batch was a better option at that point.

2) Has Heinz Field increased or improved its metal detection system at the stadium?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:19 am

The Hoyer signing is what it is. If we are down to him playing, the season is over anyways....

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby prowlin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:53 am

completely selfish for Leftwitch to stay in the game and not take himself out, but yes I place 90% of the blame on Tomlin. Batch could have given us the extra ummph in his arm to win that game.
As far as Plax goes... oh man I think I would rather have Hines back on the field.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Is there any reason to believe that the injury to AB is worse than we thought? Just seems like a big move at WR just for Cotchery going down when Sanders and Wally are there and there are some other options at WR already on the team for the third guy and I thought AB would be back pretty soon. Am I being paranoid to worry that maybe they know something about the length of time AB may be out that they are not telling?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Sun and Steel » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:30 pm

Plax is there as the big possession guy/red zone post up guy who replaces Cotchery. I anticipate him being an upgrade over Cotch in both of those facets of the game and think he can contribute immediately. However I still would rather see 86 back, though I think he would ask for more than the vet minimum that Plax took. I'm sure 86 would love to strap them on one more time to rock a few brains in the Balt game next week. Plus, at he could actually play a serviceable QB in case of additional catastrophic QB loss over the next few games. Nevertheless, we need to hope Ben is on the road to a faster than anticipated recovery, otherwise we will just have to enjoy the hot sauce for what it is in a what might have been season.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Ed Burns » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:25 am

I like the pick up. I don't believe he'll be a liability to the Offense, even in the early going where he's getting acclimated to it. I believe we'll see more production out of Plax as the weeks go on, and his roll expands.

Sun and Steel wrote:Plax is there as the big possession guy/red zone post up guy who replaces Cotchery. I anticipate him being an upgrade over Cotch in both of those facets of the game and think he can contribute immediately. However I still would rather see 86 back, though I think he would ask for more than the vet minimum that Plax took. I'm sure 86 would love to strap them on one more time to rock a few brains in the Balt game next week. Plus, at he could actually play a serviceable QB in case of additional catastrophic QB loss over the next few games. Nevertheless, we need to hope Ben is on the road to a faster than anticipated recovery, otherwise we will just have to enjoy the hot sauce for what it is in a what might have been season.

I'd love to see that too.

Practice Squad

Postby CoachWhitman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:52 pm

Completely agree with the opinions on Leftwich and Tomlin during the Baltimore game. Reminded me of Leftwich's actions during Marshall's bowl game his senior year where the linemen were literally carrying him to the huddle as he was gimping around. Ironically enough, Hoyer went to hs in Cleveland, having gone to St. Ignatius HS.

Return to Stillers Talk