Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » So Now The Sky is Falling Again?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

So Now The Sky is Falling Again?

Postby NOVASteel79 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:00 am

Two days ago Baltimore wasn't that good and we were going to spank them, now we have no chance?

Obviously they did not play their best game last night, and I am beyond sick and tired of watching them play down to their competition. But we also got the hell out of there with a win without Ben for nearly half the game. No, the D didn't make the stop on the last possession of the 4th quarter. But they did stop them for what, 4 straight 3 and out's leading up to it? And then forced the big TO that won the game. Wasn't their best effort overall either (got some real issues w/ stopping the run for sure), but they got us that win last night when the offense couldn't get a freaking first down once Ben went out. I didn't like what I saw last night either, but let's just relax and see what Ben's status is, and see how next week goes before we all jump off the ledge here, all I'm saying.

Stillers.com Team

Re: So Now The Sky is Falling Again?

Postby trenches » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:03 pm

NOVA, there certainly were some points where the defense was effective. The conditions last night weren't typical conditions so they didn't reflect a typical game but, because of that, I wanted to see both lines impose their will on the Chiefs but the opposite occurred. Much of the defense's ability to get stops was due to Cassel being a complete piece of garbage (11 of 26...really??) and the Chiefs deciding to take touches away from Charles to feed the slug-like Peyton Hillis. Hillis was effective up the gut but them giving him touches outside and throwing a screen to him was buffoonery.

I'm certainly not tossing in the towel, there's a lot of season left, but just when you this team has turned a corner, they put in a sub-par performance against another bottom feeder.

The playoffs aren't out of the question without Ben but the chances of doing anything in the playoffs completely hinge on his health.

Practice Squad

Postby NOVASteel79 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Yes, of course we need Ben healthy to do anything in January. I do agree that I didn't like how the defensive line played against the run last night. Hampton seems to end up with his face in the dirt on way too many plays, and Hood seems to struggle tying up any blockers on his side against the run (great f-ing first round pick there!!). I think the offensive line was doing fine with run blocking until Ben got hurt. Then KC didn't have to respect any passing game at all and could completely load up and sell out to stop the run, and they did.

Practice Squad

Postby NOVASteel79 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:49 pm

Well, we got our answer on Ben it looks like. Looks like he's out for Sunday most likely. So much for optimism for this Sunday now, that just went out the window, lol.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:04 pm

I honestly don't think that the Ravens are that much of a problem, even without Ben. For the long haul and any hopeful playoff run, sure, I think we live and die by Ben. But for the next few weeks, including the two against the Flying Purple Penis Eaters, I think we can get back to what we have done the three weeks leading up to last night's debacle; run the ball, play tight coverage, and play solid special teams. Like Leftwich or not, he will not be as rusty next week as he was last night, and his lack of mobility doesn't have to be as much of a factor in the dink'n'dunk style O we have been using. I would obviously be happier with a healthy BR7 at the helm next week but I still see it as an entirely winnable game. AND, the Stillers have been pretty consistent at two things the last few years: playing down to SHITTY opponents, and showing up for the Ravens game. (outside of last year's opener...)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:49 am

NOVASteel79 wrote:Two days ago Baltimore wasn't that good and we were going to spank them, now we have no chance?

Obviously they did not play their best game last night, and I am beyond sick and tired of watching them play down to their competition. But we also got the hell out of there with a win without Ben for nearly half the game. No, the D didn't make the stop on the last possession of the 4th quarter. But they did stop them for what, 4 straight 3 and out's leading up to it? And then forced the big TO that won the game. Wasn't their best effort overall either (got some real issues w/ stopping the run for sure), but they got us that win last night when the offense couldn't get a freaking first down once Ben went out. I didn't like what I saw last night either, but let's just relax and see what Ben's status is, and see how next week goes before we all jump off the ledge here, all I'm saying.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think you're confusing "fans getting angry for struggling with one of The NFL's worst teams at home", for "the sky is falling/we are done for", when I haven't heard or read anybody saying/alluding to the latter.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:55 am

Is Troy going to play or what? I am sick of this Bullshit. I don't want to see any more fucking deep bullshit or piano playing until Troy plays some football. Case fucking closed

Return to Stillers Talk