Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » A Midterm Look at the Steelers

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

A Midterm Look at the Steelers

Postby trenches » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:11 pm

A Midterm Look at the Steelers has been posted by In the Trenches at Stillers.com.

Greenhorned Rookie

Re: A Midterm Look at the Steelers

Postby rifraff » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:18 pm

Plus the OC, dont get the QB killed and they can actually have some positive outcomes on screen plays instead of the usual screw-ups.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:42 pm

rifraff wrote:Plus the OC, dont get the QB killed and they can actually have some positive outcomes on screen plays instead of the usual screw-ups.

Good adds, rifraff. Hopefully Ben can be efficient in the pocket and thus healthy down the stretch. The improved run game, if it continues, could also support help that cause.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Haley has made a huge difference for this team in my opinion. Wow, someone who actually knows how to provide protection of his QB without stranding his best TE on the damn line. He has been good about understanding their weaknesses then designing plays and formations to mostly negate those weaknesses. Kugler is doing one helluva job with the O-line. I'm thinking he and Haley must be on the same page and something is definately working there.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:40 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:Haley has made a huge difference for this team in my opinion. Wow, someone who actually knows how to provide protection of his QB without stranding his best TE on the damn line. He has been good about understanding their weaknesses then designing plays and formations to mostly negate those weaknesses. Kugler is doing one helluva job with the O-line. I'm thinking he and Haley must be on the same page and something is definately working there.

:suplusone:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:35 am

We have all been saying for a few years now that the O-line and cover guys were our achilles heel(s). Wouldn't it be something if, despite the growing pains in the first third of the season, those areas may have actually been addressed, and succcessfully? If so, the sky's the limit...

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:43 pm

isfry wrote:We have all been saying for a few years now that the O-line and cover guys were our achilles heel(s). Wouldn't it be something if, despite the growing pains in the first third of the season, those areas may have actually been addressed, and succcessfully? If so, the sky's the limit...

They've certainly been solid. So much of an O-line's success is confidence and chemistry (not merely pure, raw talent). Let's hope they keep growing and Haley keeps finding ways to maximize the O. There's a good amount of talent to take advantage of... Onward and upward!

:sufootballhelmet:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:25 pm

I'm of the belief that the O-coord and his schemes had much more to do with the O-line failures than did the actual players themselves - bye Arians. Let's not pretend that this unit woke up 3 or 4 weeks ago and suddenly were better football players. As Haley has settled into his new job, I believe he has learned more about his players strengths and weaknesses then has adjusted the play designs and blocking schemes accordingly.

As far as the D goes, I'm impressed with our corners' ability to stay close to receivers and thus provide more flexibility with the LB's and safeties. Once Lewis learns to turn and adjust to the ball on the deep throws then he will be an above average corner IMO. I've been impressed on how well Foote has played for most of this season. I thought he was close to being washed up more than 2 years ago. :?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:29 pm

Does anyone know what happened to Saunders? I know he had been suspended, but where is he now? Practice squad?

... and hey Mill, what's up with the ad with the chick wearing the "I pooped today" t-shirt. Where can I get one for my girlfriend? :wow:

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:40 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Saunders? I know he had been suspended, but where is he now? Practice squad?

... and hey Mill, what's up with the ad with the chick wearing the "I pooped today" t-shirt. Where can I get one for my girlfriend? :wow:

Saunders was dumped back in October.

As for the ads, they are displayed according to geography and the type of person you are. We all learned A LOT more about the esteemed SoCal Stiller and your browsing habits today. Thanks for the info!! Lmao
:celebrate:
:sudancin:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:42 pm

That's funny. If Rex Ryan can have a thing for feet then why can't I have a poop fetish?

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:38 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:That's funny. If Rex Ryan can have a thing for feet then why can't I have a poop fetish?

haha! Good point!

:suplusone:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:05 am

Hey, SoCal-

http://www.google.com/#q=cafe+press+t+s ... 47&bih=861

Got one in brown for my girlfriend last week after seeing the ad on Stillers. haha

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:28 pm

isfry wrote:Hey, SoCal-

http://www.google.com/#q=cafe+press+t+s ... 47&bih=861

Got one in brown for my girlfriend last week after seeing the ad on Stillers. haha

That's tremendous! Lmao

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:54 pm

isfry - Maybe you should consider buying them in bulk then giving them away as Christmas gifts. :yes:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:58 pm

I wish I had thought of making 'em. I could retire...

:lol:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:44 am

It is pointless to look at the upcoming schedule and then mentally masturbate over how weak it is in the Steelers favor. This is a team that lost to two of the worst teams and then got lucky to beat the worst team on Monday night. If Ben R. is out for an extended time... this season is over. A team that can lose to Tennessee or Oakland with Ben R. is going to lose to Cleveland with Leftwich.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:07 pm

LenSherwood wrote:It is pointless to look at the upcoming schedule and then mentally masturbate over how weak it is in the Steelers favor. This is a team that lost to two of the worst teams and then got lucky to beat the worst team on Monday night. If Ben R. is out for an extended time... this season is over. A team that can lose to Tennessee or Oakland with Ben R. is going to lose to Cleveland with Leftwich.

Without Ben, of course everything changes. Before he was hurt there was reason for optimism. Now... Not so much. You cannot count the Monday night game in the same way as OAK and TEN... The weather was shit and Ben didn't play half the game. It's just not the same as the two horrible road losses particularly given the outcome.

Also, you're telling me (before MNF) that you'd prefer the Ravens and their schedule to PGH and their schedule? No way...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:25 pm

trenches...I guess I am mostly making the point that the Steelers are capable of losing to anyone as Oakland and Tennessee qualify as that anyone. This team is shaky from week to week--it isn't good enough to where you can put games automatically in the win column. For example, let's take that loss to a team in the playoffs to Tim Tebow. Cincinatti and Washington killed themselves with turnovers or dropped balls... as our man Still Mill pointed out, NY Giants were still in the throes of a storm disaster.
And now it will be Leftwich for probably much of the remainder of the season...you can't put any game in the win column now.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:24 pm

LenSherwood wrote:trenches...I guess I am mostly making the point that the Steelers are capable of losing to anyone as Oakland and Tennessee qualify as that anyone. This team is shaky from week to week--it isn't good enough to where you can put games automatically in the win column. For example, let's take that loss to a team in the playoffs to Tim Tebow. Cincinatti and Washington killed themselves with turnovers or dropped balls... as our man Still Mill pointed out, NY Giants were still in the throes of a storm disaster.
And now it will be Leftwich for probably much of the remainder of the season...you can't put any game in the win column now.

I largely agree. My biggest point was that they had taken care of business and put together a few solid efforts...that left room optimism if you choose to lean to the glass half full side. On the other hand, with Ben's injury, all bets are off unless the D becomes suddenly opportunistic and the run game becomes a juggernaut. Lefty's capable of winning games left on the schedule even if he could also lose any of them. My bigger concern is how long he stays healthy given his track record and the fact that defenses will be teeing off.

Return to Stillers Talk