Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Rest 'em?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Hall of Famer

Rest 'em?

Postby isfry » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:18 pm

I never like to look past an upcoming opponent, and I never want the team to, but...curious what everybody's thoughts were about resting alot of "probables" and "questionables" for the Monday Nighter. It seems to me that a home game, under the lights in primetime, against an inferior (on paper) opponent should be enough to get the team up and ready to play. The following week, as you all know, is really the biggest game of the season thus far, and I would love to have a healthy RB corps, O-Line, WRs, etc. for that game. Thoughts?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Rest 'em?

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:24 pm

The Steelers have had a knack for playing down to lesser opponents. I think you have to make your injury decisions the same week to week.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:27 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:The Steelers have had a knack for playing down to lesser opponents. I think you have to make your injury decisions the same week to week.

I agree with the danger of playing down (see Oakland, Tennessee, e.g.). I just don't want to see players rushed back on to the field too early at the risk of having them not ready for a critical divisional game the following week (a short week, at that.) The Chiefs ought to be beatable with backups, as far as I'm concerned.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:36 pm

I would prefer they jump up on them big then rest your dinged up guys midway through the 3rd quarter. 8-)

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:37 pm

I also agree there's risk of playing down but the downside of an extended injury outweighs the risk of resting players before the short week leading to the Ravens matchup.

Taking Brown as an example, Cotch performed solidly and is a capable backup. I'd opt for "next man up" and for injury rest time since the Ravens game is far more important.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:53 pm

I'm with you, Trenches.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:12 am

Well Troy, AB, Gilbert, Sylvester and, likely, Mendenhall are out. I say sit Dwyer, too, Redman should be able to handle the load. Speaking of injuries, has anybody heard anything about DeCastro? What's the latest?

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:53 pm

isfry wrote:Speaking of injuries, has anybody heard anything about DeCastro? What's the latest?

DeCastro's return should be upon us. The Bleacher Report had a good write up today. It raises the same questions we all already have...do you mess with the o-line when he's available? I'd like him back for the depth but wouldn't rush him back for fear of a) disrupting what's been a solid unit lately and b) risking re-injury unnecessarily.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:07 pm

Thanks, Trenches. Good article. We'll see what happens. Don't forget your raincoat tonight...

Return to Stillers Talk