Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Giants Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Giants Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby SteelThatDon'tRust » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Pump-N-Iron wrote:[Haley does deserve credit for pounding Redman against the NY defense. No way would Arians have done this.]

This sums up the win entirely. Haley, BR7, Red, and the OL made sure that we didn't give the ball back to Manning. LeBeau can't piss away a lead if the offense is in Victory formation!

This is just plain false. How many 3 and outs did the Frenchman's D produce after the failed fake FG? Willful blindness. The D dominated despite asinine penalties. Let's all stick our heads in the sand and pretend Dick had nothing to do with it. Has Dick called some wretched games? Yes. Has his vaunted D been shredded by elite QBs? Yes. Did he call a fabulous game and put his D in position to dominate the Giants like a jailhouse queer (throwin' you a bone Coke)? He sure as hell did. Give credit where it's due.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:59 pm

I really like what Haley is doing. I believe that the short drops, using a FB, employing multiple blocking TE sets (not Heath), and quick passes are already paying dividends. Just as teams were starting to adjust to Ben's long passing game and ability to scramble, along comes Haley and throws our opponents a curve ball. The success of the running game and the so-called "dink and dunk" offense is going to make for great deep ball opportunities later on.

My question is what the hell have they been feeding Colon lately? Foster too for that matter?

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby zapunto » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:28 pm

I got bored for like 10 minutes and broke down six plays for the Giants (all four quarter flubs by Eli) using the NFL.com overhead angle.

I came away a lot more impressed with what LeBeau is doing, to be honest with you (I know a bit about football, having played and coached, but I'm no expert.)

On one level, he was quite predictable: 7 yard cushion, cover 1 look on first down, 2nd down was a lot of the same based on down and distance, 3rd and long he played bump coverage with pressure. But there were definitely a lot of little nuances to zone coverage that he does:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7115504/lebeaud.png

This was the play in the 4th quarter where Eli threw deep to Nicks down the sideline incomplete. LeBeau gave a cover 2 look, except he walked up his safeties to take away quick slants, and his corners set with outside leverage. At first it looks like a skinny post pattern kills the Stillers. But after the snap, everyone does all sorts of crazy shit. Harrison actually drops in coverage to take away the slant, Ryan Clark rolls over to the middle cover 1 responsibility, Will Allen (I think) takes the tight end, and both corners *fully rotate their hips* in their coverage to inside leverage. The confusion causes Hakeem Nicks to run a poor sideline route. Eli actually throws a good ball, but PeeBoy is actually in good cover position.

I actually would love to also break down the Tennessee tape when I have more time.

Maybe the problem I see with LeBeau is how much his players are actually running. Zone coverage in theory is supposed to make you run less, but with the way LeBeau runs his, not sure this is the case.

Again, total rookie opinion here. But interesting to breakdown if anyone else has access to the coaches tape on NFL.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby ballhair » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:40 pm

We need to kick Baltimore ass and take this division back!

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby BoltX » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:21 pm

thanks zap - very cool. More of that would be absolutely awesome!

Practice Squad

Postby jdpdts » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks for the analysis zap. Definitely would love to see more of that too. Well done

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:41 am

jdpdts wrote:Hey Still,

The Steelers won!!! The Defense was awesome!!! Nothing you can do about it, but imagine that it didn't happen!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Go cheer for the Patriots loser!

You are a fucking idiot jdpdts. Hey Still, loved the vagina chronicles :D :D :D

Defense! Running Game! Heath! Lets hope we can keep pounding it! Haven't had this much fun since the BUS trucked Urlacher in 2005 to start the legendary wild card run to the THE SUPER BOWL Yeaaahhhhhhhhh!!!! . Adams is still a woeful punk in pass protect

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:44 am

That was cool zapunto :suplusone:

Previous

Return to Stillers Talk