Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » James Harrison one of the best ever?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Greenhorned Rookie

James Harrison one of the best ever?

Postby BGSUsteelers » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:42 am

Hear me out. I know that it's a passing league now more than ever, so that gives edge rushers more opportunities to get the QB than ever before. However, there are only two linebackers, from what I researched, that have had over 100 tackles, 10 sacks, and 5 FF in a year. Lawrence Taylor and James Harrison, and JH did it twice. I know a lot of people love Greg Lloyd, but I think JH puts him to shame. Harrison at his very best shat on Lloyd in my opinion. There are only three linebackers that have been more dominant that I have seen. Ray Lewis, Lawrence Taylor, and Derrick Thomas. And I would honestly say that Harrison is on par with Thomas. Anyways, I just wanted to get your guys' opinions. I think Harrison is done as a Steeler after this year, and is done playing in the NFL within 3 years. Love his story, love his game, and he will always be one of my favorites, if not my favorite ever. So vote. James Harrison one of the best edge rushing linebackers ever or no?

Stillers.com Team

Re: James Harrison one of the best ever?

Postby trenches » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:36 pm

BGSUsteelers wrote:Hear me out. I know that it's a passing league now more than ever, so that gives edge rushers more opportunities to get the QB than ever before. However, there are only two linebackers, from what I researched, that have had over 100 tackles, 10 sacks, and 5 FF in a year. Lawrence Taylor and James Harrison, and JH did it twice. I know a lot of people love Greg Lloyd, but I think JH puts him to shame. Harrison at his very best shat on Lloyd in my opinion. There are only three linebackers that have been more dominant that I have seen. Ray Lewis, Lawrence Taylor, and Derrick Thomas. And I would honestly say that Harrison is on par with Thomas. Anyways, I just wanted to get your guys' opinions. I think Harrison is done as a Steeler after this year, and is done playing in the NFL within 3 years. Love his story, love his game, and he will always be one of my favorites, if not my favorite ever. So vote. James Harrison one of the best edge rushing linebackers ever or no?

BGSU...that's a surprising stat you lay forth. I need time to digest and must admit I'm surprised to hear it. Harrison has been a monster when he's on his game and there's no denying that. But, an all-time great? I'm not sure but then again, like Mel Blount, he has an NFL rule implemented because of him so it's not easy to deny his greatness. Thanks for the post and the stat!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:21 am

In his prime, Harrison has been as good a linebacker as there has ever been. Unfortunately, as a late bloomer, his "prime" got started awfully late. His style has been severely hampered by the leading with the helmet restrictions, and we will see if he can fully recover from the injury from last year.

His interception and 99 yard TD return of future HOF QB Warner at the end of the first half of SB 43 was the greatest single player defensive effort in SB history, imo.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Stillerman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:52 pm

LLoyd and Harrison are close to being the same guy. If Lloyd played now, the NFL would have imposed similar rules just ask Dan Marino. They will meet the same fate since they were late bloomers and not dominant long enough to be in the HOF.

Return to Stillers Talk