Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Titans Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Titans Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:06 am

Stillers-Titans Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Titans Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby Pommah » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:26 am

As bad a game by the Black and Gold as I can remember. Great writeup as usual.

1. This team is not working hard enough, and doesn't want it bad enough.
2. Whatever Ike Taylor had, it doesn't look like it's there anymore. He should be dead of embarrassment. Not since Hank Poteat have I seen a performance by a Stillers DB as bad. Or any NFL DB that I can recall for that matter.
3. When I saw Suisham lining up for the 54 yard kick after the timeout, I looked over at my half-awake kid and said, "go to bed, the Steelers just lost." He looked back at me and said, "you're right" and got up and left. If it's that obvious to a groggy 15 year old high schooler, why isn't it that obvious to Tomlin?
4. A few years ago Foote was not good enough to start in our linkebacking corps and left in a huff for Detroit. Now he is the best 'backer we have. He did not magically get better, the performance of the other players has regressed to below his level.
5. Something is deeply wrong with your defensive scheme when safeties routinely show up on the stat sheets as leading in tackles.
6. I am not sure if the rash of injuries are simply related to item #1 or not, but something is up. The number of injuries this team has suffered, especially on the O-line, is no mere statistical anomaly. The simplest and most likely explanation is a lack of conditioning, technique, and the realization that you don't lose your starting job when you pull yourself out of the game with this coaching crew. Or when you play for shit, for that matter. But something is up, it cannot be merely bad luck.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Good job Mill. As usual a perfect analysis. Little bit too much anger though... Anyway I wanted to state some ideas :

- ) Got an impression that with Tomlin the team is going down. I mean... Cowher was useles in post season. But, given the better overall talent ( aka a franchise quaterback ), the team looks like is loosing it. We are getting worse year after year I believe.

- ) We are in love with the running calls. Which nowadays is useless in the NFL. You should build a lead through the air and keep it on the ground.

- ) The defense is pure shi.. We cannot stop anybody. Unless the opponent stops by themself ( Philly last week and the Titans in the third quarter... ).

-) Going back to point one... We are not building players as we used to. Especially on defense.

-) This season is already gone. It is not the 2-3... It is that we won just with pitiful teams ( and a lot of luck ). And we lost ugly with equal pitiful teams.

- ) How many chances that it is Dick last year with the team ? We are going to lose 4 5 starters next year. It would be great to start fresh new. Maybe with a 4-3... I mean we are going to lose a lot of players. The coach steps down ?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:03 pm

5. Something is deeply wrong with your defensive scheme when safeties routinely show up on the stat sheets as leading in tackles.

Absolutely true Pommah! That means you gave up at least 5 yards by the time a safety makes a tackle on a running play, or it means that they played "Let the Other team catch it and we will tackle them"--worse yet since it was 10 yards plus on the play.

Well at least Clark made tackles....

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:27 pm

LenSherwood wrote:Well at least Clark made tackles....

The Titans were 31 drives without scoring a TD when starting from their 20yd line... The titans with a back up qb

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Ohio wrote:
LenSherwood wrote:Well at least Clark made tackles....

The Titans were 31 drives without scoring a TD when starting from their 20yd line... The titans with a back up qb

we have allowed 7 of 11 TD in the Red zone to our opponents. We are not lacking speed. We are lacking player, coaches and schemes

Practice Squad

Postby ddemao » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Great analyses by Pommah and stellar reporting my Mill. The Stillers have dropped 2 games to bottom feeders and 1 to mediocre Denver. They have yet to play a game in their division, which if they are lucky enough to split with the Ravens, Bengals and Browns will total 6 losses. I don't know what the rest of their schedule looks like but I have to assume there will be at least two other decent teams on it, i.e., two more losses. I hate to say this, but unless something drastic happens, which means Mike Tomlin waking up (see below) they will be lucky to finish 8-8.

The defense sucks. The D-Line plays with no energy and intimidates no one. Pommah says it's conditioning and I agree, but will add that I think it comes from a lack of disciipline. The D-backs suck slightly less than the D-line, but there is no honor in that. Ike Taylor cops more skin than a volunteer subject at a dermatologists' convention. He has had his hands all over everyone all the time all year. Three (3) PI penalties last night on Ike alone, and a complete whiff on the TD pass to Britt, which, as Mill points out, he was in perfect position to pick.

The offense - I had hoped that the bubble screen departed with Arians. Like most on this forum I rejoiced the day Arians left, but Haley has been no improvement. Any pass thrown to Wallace is a dicey situation, you never know if he'll catch it, or if he does, might he screw it up afterwards. Big Ben has been playing well. With a decent O-line I think he would be crazy good.

I think the Steelers problems are a matter of discipline and motivation, which falls squarely on Mike Tomlin's shoulders. Quoted after last night's game he said, "A disappointing performance tonight, but that is obviously what we are right now. We take ownership of that." We take ownership? What the hell kind of statement is that? Does he expect someone else to take ownership? Tomlin is not doing his job, period. AFTER Taylor had 3 PI's called on him there was a timeout and Tomlin walked down and slapped hands with Ike. Immediately afterward, came Ike's whiff on TD pass to Britt. Did Tomlin gave him a hug afterwards? We couldn't see because the camera didn't pan the Steeler sideline.

In the game against the Iggles I thought I saw a player, I believe it was #30 but not certain, push Tomlin on the sideline. The camera caught it but the usually verbose announcers didn't say anything and I haven't seen it mentioned here or in the game write ups. Did anyone else see a player push Tomlin during the Iggles game? If it's true, then Tomlin has lost control of this team, and, sad to say, the Stillers aren't going anywhere until he has a revelation that he's not in control anymore.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby tourosteelersfan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:29 pm

Just disgraceful. Do you remember that when Tomlin arrived, his problem was that he worked the players too hard? That was in a galaxy far, far away. This season is turning into a perfect storm of mediocrity - despite a HOF quarterback in his prime and plenty of talent scattered across the team. The offense is sputtering, could be the playing, could be the execution, could be both. The defense is pathetic - and here is what is most galling: until this year's draft, the Steelers invested heavily in their defense. But Hood, Woodley, and Timmons haven't stepped up to replace Polamalu and Harrison as leaders you can build the defense around. The AFC is weak, Baltimore isn't that impressive, yet we seem to be stuck in the middle of a runt litter. Good grief.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:04 pm

On the whole the personnel on defense look to be a problem. Yeah yeah first round picks Hood, Heyward etc. Timmons is the only player that you can build around. And he isn't that consistent. The secondary looks completely a lost cause now. The defensive line doesn't look like Greenwood, Holmes, Greene and White. It looks like Curly Moe and Larry. The Steelers used to make intelligent free agent pick ups on defense, but those days seem to be gone.
It seemed that Cowher was better at that. Wasn't Tomlin supposed to be a defensive genius?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:06 pm

tourosteelersfan wrote:Just disgraceful. Do you remember that when Tomlin arrived, his problem was that he worked the players too hard? That was in a galaxy far, far away. This season is turning into a perfect storm of mediocrity - despite a HOF quarterback in his prime and plenty of talent scattered across the team. The offense is sputtering, could be the playing, could be the execution, could be both. The defense is pathetic - and here is what is most galling: until this year's draft, the Steelers invested heavily in their defense. But Hood, Woodley, and Timmons haven't stepped up to replace Polamalu and Harrison as leaders you can build the defense around. The AFC is weak, Baltimore isn't that impressive, yet we seem to be stuck in the middle of a runt litter. Good grief.

There should be some psychological studies in there... Any young manager starts tough and then gets soft as times goes by. I totally agree with you that Baltimore is not impressive. I think that this year the Bengals have chances in the playoffs... Let's wait and see

Practice Squad

Postby burghfansouth » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:07 pm

Very disturbing to say the least watching has beens like Palmer and now Hasselbeck take their offenses down the field with such ease to get the deciding FG. Why not call a TO? Give guys a break? Call in a play? Do something?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:48 pm

Tomlin got by on his bravado and bs and lucked into a Super Bowl. Now, he has to show his skills as a head coach. We are now seeing those skills. The press loves him because he gives good sound bites, and in the milk toast NFL that can buy the press. He stil doesn't know how to use challenges and seems to let his coordinators be independent contractors. Yet, he has the huevos to can the special teams coach???? Sad, but true. I think the guy is a press lion and behind the doors cowtows to his coordintators. He isn't the bravado press guy with his Haley/LeBeau. It is going to be a long season.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:09 am

pinpon wrote:Tomlin got by on his bravado and bs and lucked into a Super Bowl. Now, he has to show his skills as a head coach. We are now seeing those skills. The press loves him because he gives good sound bites, and in the milk toast NFL that can buy the press. He stil doesn't know how to use challenges and seems to let his coordinators be independent contractors. Yet, he has the huevos to can the special teams coach???? Sad, but true. I think the guy is a press lion and behind the doors cowtows to his coordintators. He isn't the bravado press guy with his Haley/LeBeau. It is going to be a long season.

Well well well... The main point he is not developing talent. Next year Coach Lebeau will be gone. We will see more from Tomlin on the defense ? A swith to 4-3? He was a very good defensive coordinator in Minensota. Next year we will need that. The offense for me is top tier. I mean we are complete. Except the o line. But the rest is very competitive.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Ohio wrote:Well well well... The main point he is not developing talent. Next year Coach Lebeau will be gone. We will see more from Tomlin on the defense ? A swith to 4-3? He was a very good defensive coordinator in Minensota. Next year we will need that. The offense for me is top tier. I mean we are complete. Except the o line. But the rest is very competitive.

The offense has talent but doesn't qualify as top tier or even close to it. A top tier offense is not:
- 15th in the league in scoring
- 15th in the league in total yards
- 18th in the league in yards/play
- 31st in the league in yards/rushing attempt
- 23rd in the league in rushing first downs
- 20th in the league in rushing TD's

Even though the offense is fourth rated for total passing first downs (a great rating obviously), the rushing stat above shows they aren't converting on important third and short. The result is that they aren't getting it done and stalling out far too often.

They scored a measly 23 points against the WORST scoring defense in football (ranked 32nd by giving up 204 points or 34 points/game including the 23 point performance Thursday night). That defense is awful and 23 points doesn't cut it with or without the injuries incurred during the game.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby ballhair » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:20 am

Mill , when I read your analysis of the games, I say to myself this is exactly how I feel. From visiting other Steeler boards it is hard for me to believe that there are still a lot of homers out there who don't get it and think this team is still good and will be alright. I personally am embarrassed and disgusted at all the lazy and inept sacks of shit that Omar Epps parade out on that field. I got to ask a question however. I've been a fan since the early seventies. I'm watching us (steelers), play , last year and the games this year. I realize the defense is worthless and the offensive line sucks. However, I was under the impression for some reason (not for a couple of years now), that we had man elite franchise QB. (100 mill $ man). I expect Ben to put up alot of points to overcome these other short comings. He looks good half the time and the other half of time he looks like a dumb ass rookie. What I'm saying is when we're playing these scrap teams with scrap defenses I expect BEN to put up alot of points to offset what the defense gives up. He doesn't do it. These loses to these scrap teams I put on Ben the most. Does anyone else see it that way? Am I being too critical? Since Bradshaw played, we basically had bad to average QB's. Ben comes along and everyone acts like he is the next Elway. The Defense won those SuperBowls those years. I guess I expected a lot more out of Ben and am disappointed the way is playing has turned out. If we win a game in our division this year we will be lucky.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:32 am

Ballhair, Good point about Big Ben. He is a great talent for sure and this team would absolutely suck if it had an average QB--No, worse than suck it would be 5-11 if lucky. But sometimes you get the feeling that he isn't consistent enough to do what has to be done in the past several years as the defense has declined. You pretty much knew that in the past four years, despite padded stats, when it came down to the crucial moments, the other team was going to drive and score. Ben and the Steeler offense just hasn't consistently outscored the other teams as necessary to make up for what you know the defense is going to do, plus you can count on a bonehead interception, a missed receiver on 3rd and 7 etc. Plus, in the NFL now, when good teams play it comes down to who has the ball last. After that brilliant drive to beat Arizona, I don't know that Ben having the ball last has been all that great with the worst failure in the Green Bay Super Bowl...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:52 am

trenches wrote:The offense has talent but doesn't qualify as top tier or even close to it. A top tier offense is not:
- 15th in the league in scoring
- 15th in the league in total yards
- 18th in the league in yards/play
- 31st in the league in yards/rushing attempt
- 23rd in the league in rushing first downs
- 20th in the league in rushing TD's

Even though the offense is fourth rated for total passing first downs (a great rating obviously), the rushing stat above shows they aren't converting on important third and short. The result is that they aren't getting it done and stalling out far too often.

They scored a measly 23 points against the WORST scoring defense in football (ranked 32nd by giving up 204 points or 34 points/game including the 23 point performance Thursday night). That defense is awful and 23 points doesn't cut it with or without the injuries incurred during the game.

We all understand that the running game is NOT important anymore. A lot of teams are producing a lot of points /yards without any running game. It is just the way it is nowadays. Redman produced a 100+ receveing yards. We should all be fine with that.

What I meant was that we a good QB ( you do not win 2 SB a go to another just with luck ). WR are one of the best in the league. TE is ok. RB just fine ( I also prefer Redman to Mendenhall even if he surprised me last Sunday. Then he went back to the "dancing" that goes nowhere against the Titans ). We were the first in converting third downs. Roeth is money under pressure. We should never forget that. The o line is pitiful but goes to the strength of Ben. Escaping the pressure. I have noted a change with Haley. A lot of quicker passes. And this so far has resulted in way less sacks for Ben.

My overall impression is that our offense can always score. When we don't my feeling is that the playcalling or a penalty killed us. ( Both due to our coaching staff... ).

At the same time my impression is that our defense is useless. I'm not asking for a JJ Watt. But there is not a single player that you could rely constitently ( used to be Pola and Harrison before their problems ). And I'm not seein anyone in the making.

With all the disgust and hate that I had for Cowher, he was perfect for season coaching. If Cowher had

- A Franchise QB
- A better playoff playcalling

I think we were talking about another 4 Rings.

I don't have that feeling with Tomlin.

He seems to have a better playoff playcalling. But what is worrying is that he doesn't produce enough talent for some reasons. And this is a HUGE problem on defense. Maybe he has something for next year ( I hope ). I gave up on this year already. Not because of the road losses. But for the way they came. I cannot see this team improving so much in two months from now. How can this defense bring us anywhere ?

Is it just me ?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:03 am

Ohio-- I agree greatly with your assessment about not having a single impact player on defense, especially after Pola and Harrison are gone. That day is coming quickly. It was horrible to see Harrison trying to cover that TE on the game winning drive for Tennessee's field goal. Harrison wasn't in the same zip code. You will likely see other offenses line up their stud Tight End on the left instead of the right now--I am sure that Tennessee Offensive coaching staff devised that final drive knowing full well they wanted to take advantage of Harrison in coverage. Tomlin has two players, who you can debate are sometimes OK--Big LaMarr and Timmons. The rest are going to be journeymen. By the way, going to a 4-3 won't work without a complete rebuild. You have to have stud tackles to play 4-3 and the Steelers don't have that on their roster.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:36 am

Ohio wrote:Good job Mill. As usual a perfect analysis. Little bit too much anger though...

Ha! Get used to it, rook!

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:43 am

Ohio wrote: My overall impression is that our offense can always score.

...except on the last drive of the fourth quarter in a tie or close game against completely sub-par compettition like the raiders or Titans...other than that, always.

Next

Return to Stillers Talk