Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Could We Be In For A Losing Period?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Could We Be In For A Losing Period?

Postby Steelers76 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:59 pm

It has been well discussed about how The Steelers simply may not be a good team this year for a variety of reasons. However, does anybody else feel that this may last beyond 1 season, I.E. The late 90's/early 2000? For those that didn't know or remember, team went 3 straight seasons from 1998-2000 without a playoff berth, and 2 straight seasons in 1998 and 1999 with a losing record. I'm getting the feeling we may be in for something like this? What do you think?

Hall of Famer

Re: Could We Be In For A Losing Period?

Postby PGHeaven » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:13 am

When I watch the highlights from around the league I see so many gifted superb powerful fast athletes both offensively and defensively. I see very little of that for the Steelers thus far except for one or three people. That is Ben, Brown Wally and Ike. They can not bring Ben down. Is Pouncey diminished from his injury? RBs are journeyman. Dwyer and RED are tough, but they are just not fast enough thats all there is to it.

Troy is once again in sweats. NONE of our LBs are studs. NONE!!! None of the defensive line inspires fear. NONE! Heyward BUST Hood BUST Keisel - stick a fork in it Hampton - time to retire. Worilds BUST

Timmons - just an enigma to me - I see him do unreal physical things - but then I see him make such dumb decisions. Is he just not that savvy?

Harrison - without him Woodley is one hand clapping - but is he ever going to be the same?

So, by personnel - we are TOAST! But as a team when healthy? I dont know yet. But it CAN NOT continue with these BUST DRAFTS

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:38 pm

We've played 3 games! Little early for end of the world talk. Look at how poorly all of the other so-called elite teams in the league have started. Does that mean AZ is the SB favorite for the next 5 years because the are 3-0 so far? Everyone needs to settle down and see how things play out some before we all completely freak out.
:cheers:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:52 pm

And most of you are too young to remember the 1980s which were a lost decade. The Steelers hung onto to the 1970s dynasty players too long--unlike the Patriots under Belicheat--they didn't trade off vets for high draft picks. The team was completely under-manned from 1984 until Cowher got there. So Cowher's critics were still in playschool when the Steelers were hopeless at the end of the legendary Noll's tenure. The Steelers were poor drafts, bad personnel decisions, and an old scheme which the NFL had moved beyond.

The Steelers don't look overwhelming in personnel on the defensive side of the ball right now, regardless of LeBeau's schemes. The most alarming aspect for a 3-4 defense is at linebacker--don't count on Harrison much longer. His body has taken a pounding and he can't be pro bowl calibre much longer. Foote is not a long term answer, Worlids seems to suck.Timmons seems okay but I doubt he scares anyone. And Big LaMarr's deficiencies have been well documented here. Can the Steelers change schemes--4-3? I don't see a defensive tackle to make anyone forget Joe Greene on that roster. But it is rebuilding time on this side of the ball.

On offense, you have a franchise QB and that is a deodorant which covers a lot of shitty smells coming from the running game and offensive line. But you one day might want to protect that franchise QB.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:47 pm

I know that we, as Steelers fans, hold our team to a much higher standard than most. One thing I appreciate is that we do not have very many losing seasons like nearly every other team in the league. We've only had 7 losing seasons in the past 40 years (tops in NFL) so we all have been spoiled to some degree. That being said, I'm not ready to flush this year's team down the toilet so quickly like some of you seem to being doing. :shock:

The Steelers are currently the 7th best defense overall, #5 against the pass, and #15 vs the run without your 2 best defensive players, which both happen to be DPOY's! It doesn't take much to lose a game when the guys across from you are all professional, world class athletes as well. All it takes is one or two gaffes (like the Brown fumble) or giving up one long pass play to lose a game. Everyone needs to chillax and enjoy the ride. :surockin:

Oh, and before you start the "too old", Warren Sapp shit, remember that they've been saying that for 3 years now. Unfortunately, much of the early round draft emphasis and success has been on the offensive side as of late. On D, I actually think Heyward and Hood are doing exactly what they've been asked - to tie up lineman for the linebackers to make plays. If you're looking for impact plays from your DE's then you will be calling them busts until eternity. Also, for the most part, I like what I have seen in the development of a couple of our young corners.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:03 pm

actually, when I saw the title of the thread, I first thought of the 80's, too, Len. And my fear is that maybe we could actually be in for a downturn that bad. Say what you will about how bad everyone else sucks, but I saw the Denver game, and I was at the Oakland game. WE ARE REALLY BAD ON DEFENSE. Yeah, if Troy EVER gets healthy again and Jamie returns with some semblance of his form we could win some 40-35 games THIS YEAR, but what is the answer going forward? The best thing we have going defensively are the two oldest and most injured two players we have. Our drafts look like shit. We are likely to get WORSE next year on D, not better.

And speaking of too early to start flushing the team down the toilet, please don't cite the "numbers" of our rankings three weeks in, either, cuz they don't mean shit with this little of a sample. Manning LIT US UP and has looked pedestrian since. YAY!!! Tebow didn't beat us. Whatever, Carson Palmer looked like Johnny fucking U last Sunday and only Ben's insane day disguised tha butt-whooping a VERY MEDIOCRE OAKLAND TEAM laid on us. I'm disgusted.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:32 pm

That Oakland game could have been put away early in the 2nd half if it were not for the fumbles and poor special teams play and we wouldn't be having this discussion. We already all knew that the offense would have to carry more load than the D this year. You better get used to the defense giving up yards, especially if the O is what I think it will be and teams have to throw often when they're behind.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby High5 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:07 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:We've played 3 games! Little early for end of the world talk. Look at how poorly all of the other so-called elite teams in the league have started. Does that mean AZ is the SB favorite for the next 5 years because the are 3-0 so far? Everyone needs to settle down and see how things play out some before we all completely freak out.
:cheers:

Your absolutely correct. People are so quick to say we suck and aren't a good team and stand no chance at playoffs. Wake up people, come down off the bridges. We are the Pittsburgh Steelers , we'll work this out, the offense is getting better and better, not alot of rushing yards but the passing is working, and we are very capable mixing in a good running attack. Defense needs to get healthy and players need to carry out their duties and do what is expected of them.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Some of you seriously need to start reading what I wrote in the leadoff thread. I used the word "may" several times. Not "We are def. in for a losing season or losing period". It was just an item for discussion with no right or wrong answers. You bitch about the polls and the articles here, so it's only fitting you bitch when someone tries to initiate discussion. Then you wonder "why this place is dead" at times.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:49 am

I hear ya S76. The koolaid drinkers can go to the police site if they want blind drivel. Here we dissect and tend to come down hard. The thrust of most of my crticism is based on what I perceive as lazy oafish slop on the field. I see this from Larry Foote - always have - see this from Woodley. Timmons just makes a lot of poor decisions. rest of these guys are not playing spirited football. OR they are just average talent

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:23 am

PGHeaven wrote:I hear ya S76. The koolaid drinkers can go to the police site if they want blind drivel. Here we dissect and tend to come down hard. The thrust of most of my crticism is based on what I perceive as lazy oafish slop on the field. I see this from Larry Foote - always have - see this from Woodley. Timmons just makes a lot of poor decisions. rest of these guys are not playing spirited football. OR they are just average talent

:suplusone:

Thanks, PG. You're one of the one's that "gets it", and big reason I keep coming back here.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:03 am

"You bitch about the polls and the articles here, so it's only fitting you bitch when someone tries to initiate discussion."

What the hell do you think I was doing? Just because I respond with a different take you call it bitching! People like you are the reason nobody comes to this site anymore. Anyone who offers a different opinion is immediately labeled a koolaid drinker by Mill's sheep. Why don't you try forming some of your own opinions once in a while instead of just merely repeating what Mill writes. I'm so fucking sick of statements like... "The koolaid drinkers can go to the police site if they want blind drivel. Here we dissect and tend to come down hard." How completely fucking unoriginal!

The boards on this site have migrated into nothing more than an angry bitchfest in the last couple of years. I will keep coming back for the terrific articles though.

Have a nice angry weekend!

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:32 pm

SoCal,

You are right that there's an utter lack of actual conversation. This site was founded on the premise of open, honest conversation amongst and by fans and morphed into mob mentality and one-way dialog. Pitiful.

We shouldn't all agree but should respect each others' opinions. Without differing opinions (optimistic, pessimistic, die hard, bandwagon or otherwise) the conversation is actually just one way soap box diatribe. If I didn't want debate I'd preach to myself in the mirror. That'd be fucking exciting.

Thanks for the reminder in your post.

:suplusone:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:05 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:"You bitch about the polls and the articles here, so it's only fitting you bitch when someone tries to initiate discussion."

What the hell do you think I was doing? Just because I respond with a different take you call it bitching! People like you are the reason nobody comes to this site anymore. Anyone who offers a different opinion is immediately labeled a koolaid drinker by Mill's sheep. Why don't you try forming some of your own opinions once in a while instead of just merely repeating what Mill writes. I'm so fucking sick of statements like... "The koolaid drinkers can go to the police site if they want blind drivel. Here we dissect and tend to come down hard." How completely fucking unoriginal!

The boards on this site have migrated into nothing more than an angry bitchfest in the last couple of years. I will keep coming back for the terrific articles though.

Have a nice angry weekend!

You said in your initial post, and I quote "It's a little too early for end of the world talk. Everybody needs to settle down."

So you are doing EXACTLY what your accusing me of; I.E.; Freaking out on me because I have a different take. And again, for the 1,000 time, I said nowhere in my initial post that we were def in for a losing period. But even if I did, so the fuck what? You are the one telling people to "settle down" that don't agree with you, not me.

Ironically, know it alls like you are the reason I don't come on here much, and in the future will not be starting anymore threads.

Have a nice, know it all weekend.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:17 pm

Steelers76 wrote:Ironically, know it alls like you are the reason I don't come on here much, and in the future will not be starting anymore threads.

This is exactly the point I was making. Rather than having a discussion with differing opinions people don't want to post because of the ridiculous reactions. C'mon people...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:26 pm

trenches wrote:
Steelers76 wrote:Ironically, know it alls like you are the reason I don't come on here much, and in the future will not be starting anymore threads.

This is exactly the point I was making. Rather than having a discussion with differing opinions people don't want to post because of the ridiculous reactions. C'mon people...

I don't mind different opinions at all, which is why I started this thread and others.

However, it wasn't just that he disagreed with me, then stated the reasons. Look at his responses,(and others), in my last 2 threads. He and some others made it a personal crusade just because I wasn't all rah-rah Steelers Superfan, including one response of "I'm sure your boss thought you were a bust when you first started", or something of that ilk. Totally uneeded.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:41 pm

Steelers76 wrote:
trenches wrote:

I don't mind different opinions at all, which is why I started this thread and others.

However, it wasn't just that he disagreed with me, then stated the reasons. Look at his responses,(and others), in my last 2 threads. He and some others made it a personal crusade just because I wasn't all rah-rah Steelers Superfan, including one response of "I'm sure your boss thought you were a bust when you first started", or something of that ilk. Totally uneeded.

My response was to all.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SteelThatDon'tRust » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:38 pm

The offense is a gelled o line and a Mendy away from being elite. The problem is defense. Going to have to rebuild it through draft and not just reload. But the offense is ready to be special.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby StillDodger » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:31 pm

The big question is whether we'll start winning on the road or start losing at Heinz.

I do agree, however, our speed on defense is the big hole on the team right now. We can still stop an opposing offense at the goal line, but will give up the 70 yard run if spread thin.

Our defense has a few superstars and a bunch of stiffs. And Pola is in the down side of his career. This could be the start of a losing period for the Stillers, if our drafts continue to underperform. Which is the scariest trend of all.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:28 am

The point of the panic to to say that it looks very possible that the Steelers have not drafted well on defense. OH boy when we get Troy and Harrison back then holy shit, warm up the Super Bowl float! Fellas, those two guys are well onto the wrong side of 30 and now have potential career ending disabilities--if that achilles tears, Troy is done. To site stats about 7th ranked defense at this point...well those stats were padded by playing Sanchez who either had a concussion that day or is just flatly completely lost now. Palmer and Manning didn't have many problems when they needed to score.

And Mill, help me here...how good a coordinator is LeBeau? Do you think he is going to be able to win without the dominant talent he used to have??

Well hopefully the defense can not break enough for the offense to win. And there are just no complete NFL teams anymore. It sucks when you have December games that don't matter....

Next

Return to Stillers Talk