Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » New Article: Stillers-Doncos Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

New Article: Stillers-Doncos Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:37 am

http://www.stillers.com/articles/2769.aspx has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Hall of Famer

Re: New Article: Stillers-Doncos Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby PGHeaven » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:35 am

You nailed it Mill. I was frothing at the mouth over Momlins 2 point decision. My family was cowering in the corner. Did you think Heyward played ok? I thought Keisel looked like a wretched pile of shit and this "dabeard" bullshit had better cease

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Tonydesal » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:18 am

Gawd I miss the days of adjustments at halftime.

I know it's only week one and I'm typically not the 'doom n gloom' type, but we'll be lucky to win 6 games this year if that's all the D we can muster. FML

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby tourosteelersfan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:21 am

I'd like to think I am as critical as the next contributor to this website. So indulge me while I try to argue the glass is actually half-full after last night. The ball-control offense was effective and I'd still want Ben R in the last two minutes rather any other quarterback in the league. The defense had a daunting task, to be sure, and never has handled proficient quarterbacks effectively. I am not saying that the loss was not disappointing or that its time to buy playoff tickets. But I was expecting a complete debacle (comparable to last year's opening game against the Ravens) and was pleasantly surprised that the Steelers actually had a chance to win. I had been thinking this season would be 8-8 with no playoffs; I now think the Steelers should win the division. Of course, that means winning about 11 games, and next week's game against the Jets won't be a picnic.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:39 pm

If you take the position that Tomlin's, LeBeau's, and Haley's main jobs are not necessarily to win games but rather to insure that they remain close, thereby maximizing tv viewership, then it all starts to make sense and fall into place. Otherwise the Steeler coaching behaviour resembles a tale told by an idiot.

P.S. by the way, how'd our boy Ariens do yesterday? He coaches for the Colts? Luck?

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby tourosteelersfan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Coke Oven, I have to admit that you nailed me to the wall. Still, I have higher hopes for the season after last night's game than I did before.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:51 pm

I am afraid that defense is just too freaking weak for playoff talk. And the offensive line is yet again a patchwork so a run oriented ball control offense probably isn't in the future of this Steeler season. Will be up to Ben to scramble around and make plays. Sometimes he does and sometimes he gifts the other team with pick sixes.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SteelThatDon'tRust » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:28 pm

The defensive scheme requires more talent than the personnel fielded last nite. And there appears to be no other scheme or there would have been adjustments. Dick's defense got shredded b/c we couldn't get any pressure on Manning. My guess we will have another season where defensively, the the team does ok to really great against below average to good QBs, but gets shredded by the top 10 folks. But then most defenses do. Fact is, the defense is going to take a major step back. This is not and will not be the 2008 crew. The offense is either going to step up and carry the team or forget it. We can complain about Dickie all we want, but, please, let's not fool ourselves into thinking we have stellar personnel up and down the defensive ranks. TP is aging, Harrison may never be the same. Brett may have Aaron Smith type needs to be cut year. Foote is ancient. Mill complains about Woodley the most, but has Timmons earned his money any better? The d line got blow the fuck off the ball all night. Clark is ancient and clearly much better than Mundy. Still no answer for opposite Ike. Do you really think McClendon is going to be as good as Big Snack was in his prime? Are Hood and Heyward magically going to morph into a younger Keisel-Smith duo? Well, it's ALL Dicks fault? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit. That is all. Time for Ben to get a QB hard on so big he knocks over lamps and shit when he turns around. Either that or this season is going to be a long one.
You asked with your eyes Trent, you asked with your eyes.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby SteelTank » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:49 pm

tourosteelersfan wrote:I'd still want Ben R in the last two minutes rather any other quarterback in the league.

Are you kidding?

He is extremely average in the 2-minute drill. Go back and look at the Green-Bay Super Bowl loss. Look at last night's game and others over the past few years... Not too good and he is usually nervous. When something does go right in the 2-minute drill, Ben jumps up and down like an idiot. He simply doesn't have the same kind of control that the better 2 minute QBs have when it really counts. The Arizona Super Bowl was a gift.

Having said that, the Steelers had a chance to win this game last night so maybe Denver isn't all that good or maybe most of the teams are not any better than any other. Looking at the two teams that made the Super Bowl last year enforces this opinion. The Patriots and Giants were not the two best teams by any means and yet there they were.

So, this season is not lost as of yet, but the Steelers would figure to have one of the more difficult schedules which could be a problem getting into the playoffs.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby ballhair » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:07 pm

SteelThatDon'tRust wrote:The defensive scheme requires more talent than the personnel fielded last nite. And there appears to be no other scheme or there would have been adjustments. Dick's defense got shredded b/c we couldn't get any pressure on Manning. My guess we will have another season where defensively, the the team does ok to really great against below average to good QBs, but gets shredded by the top 10 folks. But then most defenses do. Fact is, the defense is going to take a major step back. This is not and will not be the 2008 crew. The offense is either going to step up and carry the team or forget it. We can complain about Dickie all we want, but, please, let's not fool ourselves into thinking we have stellar personnel up and down the defensive ranks. TP is aging, Harrison may never be the same. Brett may have Aaron Smith type needs to be cut year. Foote is ancient. Mill complains about Woodley the most, but has Timmons earned his money any better? The d line got blow the fuck off the ball all night. Clark is ancient and clearly much better than Mundy. Still no answer for opposite Ike. Do you really think McClendon is going to be as good as Big Snack was in his prime? Are Hood and Heyward magically going to morph into a younger Keisel-Smith duo? Well, it's ALL Dicks fault? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit. That is all. Time for Ben to get a QB hard on so big he knocks over lamps and shit when he turns around. Either that or this season is going to be a long one.

Agree 100%. Defense is old , slow and not hungry anymore. Can Ben carry this team? I doubt it.
The Steelers will only be as successful as Big Ben is!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:52 pm

It is true that the Steelers usually start of the season with a shitty game. But this game seemed to be a complete continuation of the one that ended last season. And the end of the season featured a lot of lackluster performances against bad teams. And the Steelers don't seem to have the next generation on defense who are playmakers. Now throw in that they are not stopping the run. Do you think they stop Ray Rice with what we saw last night? Baltimore is liable to blow them out. I suppose there is some merit to the league being a good deal of mediocre teams...let's hope for that.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:03 pm

"Isn’t defense supposed to be Momlin’s forte?? Why then, does he stand ossified, and clueless, as his defense gets picked and shredded apart? The bloom is fading off Momlin’s rose, and fast. The 2008 season was a long eternity ago."

More and more I'm seeing Tomlin like a lot of engineers that I've known who were great at bullshitting in the boardroom, but when it came time to produce something they weren't worth the powder it would take to blow them to hell. That would explain how he was able to impress the Rooneys so much early on.

Stillers.com Team

Postby StillMill » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Allow me to dispel some of the myths and other bullshit babble that has been bandied about here --

a. This defense, while far from the '76 Steelers, ain't chopped liver. There are no less than about 75 coaches around the NFL who would literally sever an appendage to obtain the likes of Troy, Ike, Timmons, and Heyward.

b. Fact is, there is NO defense in the league that has 9 ALL-PRO's, along with 14 other veteran, starting-caliber players. NONE. There are rookies starting on defense all over the league; there are no-names manning starting jobs; and there are, in fact, OTHER teams who (gasp) are missing players due to injury. Fact is, Dick's defense starts ZERO rookies and includes ZERO rookies that are key reserves. NONE. This is a luxury that, I'm betting, no other DC in the league enjoys.

c. GREAT coaches make due with what they've got, not mope and whine and bellyache about what they don't have. Truly great coaches take what they've got and make SOMETHING happen in order to win.

d. The front office has invested HEAVILY in this defense, both in high draft picks as well as huge, mega-million dollar deals. In fact, the majority of this teams sal cap dollars go to the DEFENSE, not the offense.

e. Which Def. coach is most responsible for player development? Dick LeBeau. Which Def. coach is most responsible for the instruction of techniques and on-field skills? Dick LeBeau. Which Def. coach is most responsible for tutelage of players? Dick LeBeau. Which Def. coach is most responsible for player preparation? Dick LeBeau. Which Def. coach is most responsible for film study and breaking down the opponent? Dick LeBeau. Which Def. coach is most responsible for which players are kept and which are cut ? Dick LeBeau. Thus, if you have a problem with how some of these players are not progressing, the coach you need to point a finger at is none other than Dick LeBeau.

Debate is fine, but what we won't tolerate here is silly-assed, mamby pampy excuse making, quibbling, and rationalizations. LeBeau has done NOTHING of any productive significance in well over 4 years and is literally living off past glories, all the while severely hindering this team and this organization. We shall not stop exposing this fraud until he retires, or is summarily fired.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby High5 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:23 pm

SteelTank wrote:
tourosteelersfan wrote:I'd still want Ben R in the last two minutes rather any other quarterback in the league.

Are you kidding?

He is extremely average in the 2-minute drill. Go back and look at the Green-Bay Super Bowl loss. Look at last night's game and others over the past few years... Not too good and he is usually nervous. When something does go right in the 2-minute drill, Ben jumps up and down like an idiot. He simply doesn't have the same kind of control that the better 2 minute QBs have when it really counts. The Arizona Super Bowl was a gift.

Having said that, the Steelers had a chance to win this game last night so maybe Denver isn't all that good or maybe most of the teams are not any better than any other. Looking at the two teams that made the Super Bowl last year enforces this opinion. The Patriots and Giants were not the two best teams by any means and yet there they were.

So, this season is not lost as of yet, but the Steelers would figure to have one of the more difficult schedules which could be a problem getting into the playoffs.

Dude your way off course. Ben is a great QB that plays his heart out. He's won plenty of games and is great under pressure w/ the 2 min drill, he's a proven winner dude. Put down the pipe.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SteelThatDon'tRust » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:20 pm

StillMill wrote:Which Def. coach is most responsible for which players are kept and which are cut ? Dick LeBeau. Thus, if you have a problem with how some of these players are not progressing, the coach you need to point a finger at is none other than Dick LeBeau.

In the past you have claimed that LeBeau has had his inferiority masked by amazing players for whose talent he was not responsible, but now he is responsible for sub par performances by newer players? Is that fair? My point was that last night was not all Dicks fault. Not offering absolution.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:31 am

I have four questions:

One: is it just me or does it seem like (as Mill pointed out) we ran the ball like 90% of the time on 1st and ten (and almost every time off left tackle, I might add) but then got inside the five and threw it practically every single time?

Two: are we the only team in the league that can't seem to get through a game, let alone a season, with the same five guys on the goddamn O-line?

Three: a two point conversion after you regain the lead on a brilliant drive to "chase points" from ahead? are you fucking kidding me?

Four: please tell me that wasn't the infamous "cover 9" (again) on Manning's 2 yard bubble pass to whats his name that went for like a 65 yd score.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby UKBlackNGold » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:37 am

There doesn't appear to be any fire or spirt throughout this team . . . .

whenever the camera panned to Ben or Troy they both looked, concerned, bewildered, confused and lost . . . these two are meant to be the leaders, Ben has the demeanor of someone who'd rather be playing Indy and Polomalu appears as meek as a child at his first day at kindergarden . .

There is something wrong here at the top and it starts and ends with Tomlin.

Dick will retire at the end of this season, let Butler have his way and let's see, . . . . . you sense Butler doesn't agree with some choices, his interview after the 2010 draft when we drafted Worilds instead of Shaun Lee, his face said it all . . . . what a fuck up!!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SteelThatDon'tRust » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:43 am

isfry wrote:I have four questions:

One: is it just me or does it seem like (as Mill pointed out) we ran the ball like 90% of the time on 1st and ten (and almost every time off left tackle, I might add) but then got inside the five and threw it practically every single time?

Two: are we the only team in the league that can't seem to get through a game, let alone a season, with the same five guys on the goddamn O-line?

Three: a two point conversion after you regain the lead on a brilliant drive to "chase points" from ahead? are you fucking kidding me?

Four: please tell me that wasn't the infamous "cover 9" (again) on Manning's 2 yard bubble pass to whats his name that went for like a 65 yd score.

One: terrifying flashbacks of Billy Ball while we a franchise QB in his prime.
Two: Kugler might really be cursed.
Three: Alas, I have now come to expect two things a game—a bone headed int by Ben and a rage inducing decision by Tomlin.
Four: Dick is 1-7 v Manning. He flat out gobbles cock against the no huddle. Unfortunately, you're not going to the SB in today's game if you can't stop the no huddle.

FIVE: THE RAVENS EXCELLED IN THE NO HUDDLE LAST NIGHT.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SteelThatDon'tRust » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:46 am

UKBlackNGold wrote:There doesn't appear to be any fire or spirt throughout this team . . . .

whenever the camera panned to Ben or Troy they both looked, concerned, bewildered, confused and lost . . . these two are meant to be the leaders, Ben has the demeanor of someone who'd rather be playing Indy and Polomalu appears as meek as a child at his first day at kindergarden . .

There is something wrong here at the top and it starts and ends with Tomlin.

Dick will retire at the end of this season, let Butler have his way and let's see, . . . . . you sense Butler doesn't agree with some choices, his interview after the 2010 draft when we drafted Worilds instead of Shaun Lee, his face said it all . . . . what a fuck up!!

I disagree. Ben looked frustrated and pissed off often. Troy was obviously pissed off after the game. So my guess is your best o weapon and your best d weapon were both pissed off at their respective coordinators to some extent.

Practice Squad

Postby jaybaileys » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:50 am

I realize it was Denver (5,000 feet and all) but the defense played 2 plays in the 3rd Q. And literally had no answers for Manning in the 2nd half. This is very troubling and very typical the past few years. I agree that Mill goes a bit overboard with DL but he should have stepped down a few years ago. That being said, where were our 10 million dollar LBs? Timmons, Woodley, pretty much no-shows. I think the offense will be fine. Ben was rusty on the throws to Miller in the EZ, missing a wide open Wallace running down the middle, and the pick. On the plus side, Dwyer was pretty good, which was a surprise. It would be nice to see Rainey used better no doubt. Say what you want about the offensive running so much on 1st and 2nd downs but I think if you'd have said we would have been winning at halftime and Peyton Manning only ran 2 plays in the 3rd Q, we all would have signed up for that before the game. We better hope Harrison is healthy soon or we may not have a pass rush at all. Did Manning get hit at all in the 2nd half? Lastly Mike Tomlin, who I like, really hasn't grown much as a coach. Still does terrible challenges, and the 2 pt. thing was just idiotic. Either go for 2 after every friggin TD or leave it in the bag until you are down by 8, or 11 at the end of the game! Doesn't he have anyone talking in his headset to say hey coach maybe we should try this or that instead, unreal.

Next

Return to Stillers Talk