Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » New Article: Cripple Loving Colbert Braces for Season Opener

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

New Article: Cripple Loving Colbert Braces for Season Opener

Postby StillMill » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:53 pm

Cripple Loving Colbert Braces for Season Opener has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Greenhorned Rookie

Re: New Article: Cripple Loving Colbert Braces for Season Opener

Postby JimPgh1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:54 am

StillMill wrote:http://www.stillers.com/articles/2763.aspx has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Yeah, that guy Colbert is really dumb. I guess he just gets lucky year after year, enabling the Steelers to be perennial playoff participants.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:34 am

The only thing I can think of is this: If I understand the new PUP rule, you can place a player on PUP before the season even starts but they are unavailable EVEN TO PRACTICE until after week 6. With that in mind, perhaps the rehab of an injury is ameliorated by one's ability to stretch and run through plays without pads with the rest of the team for a few weeks, rather than be a leper for a month and a half and then attempt to hit the ground running. I don't know the status of Worilds injury, but I certainly expect Jamie back before the Sunday night game against the Bengals, as well as Hampton, for what he'll be worth. As for DeCastro, I don't expect him back that quickly but, for someone with zero NFL snaps, the closer he stays to his O-line mates and the sooner he can get on the practice field even for pad-feee-run-throughs, the better. All that said, I scratched my head on some of this stuff, too.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Still CA Still » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Can't quite agree w/you here, Mill. The PUP rules state a player ending pre season on the list must sit out the first six games. Since we have a bye in week 4, that would be 7 weeks off. By vacating PUP now, you can hold a guy out for three games plus the bye week and have him back in time for Game 4 vs Iggles. Apparently, after seeing these players on a regular basis during the entire pre-season, the FO thinks they can contibute long before week 8.

The Mendy case does seem rushed for a RB, but not so all the others. I agree the Harrison situation seems botched-for God's sake, get scoped in the Spring-but a big weakness of this team right now is depth; and that weakness cannot be cured with additional "roster spots" for a full 6 games while front line guys sit longer than necessary. I think Colbert & Co did the right thing and earned a pass on this one.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:24 am

I gotta agree with Mill here. The game is a war of attrition, its not the best team its the best team at the end of the season. Lose those guys for the first six games, you still have them for the last ten, and they are healthy and fresh instead of lame and beat. We don't use our full roster enough as it is. I just dont understand what they can be thinking here.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:44 am

JimPgh1 wrote:
StillMill wrote:http://www.stillers.com/articles/2763.aspx has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Yeah, that guy Colbert is really dumb. I guess he just gets lucky year after year, enabling the Steelers to be perennial playoff participants.

Once again, Mill provided detailed, valid points on a subject, which you might have known if you had actually bothered to read the article.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pump-N-Iron » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:06 pm

Am I the only one who thinks Mendy should be placed on IR for the whole season? Everyone knows that an ACL injury is an 18 month rehab, MINIMUM! Sure, he will still be able to run straight line if our OL opens giant holes, but this is the NFL, and that's not gonna happen that often. RBs need to be able to cut, and that won't be 100% until next June.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby JimPgh1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:23 pm

Steelers76 wrote:
JimPgh1 wrote:

Once again, Mill provided detailed, valid points on a subject, which you might have known if you had actually bothered to read the article.

I read the article, mate. IMO, Colbert/Tomlin know a helluva lot more about what their doing than Mill. They see the players on a daily basis and have access to all the medical reports, etc. Mill has none of that info.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:01 am

Loved the line about Worilds trying to get healthy like Yancey Thigpen!! The Mendenhall activation is a bit of a question. Worilds too!
On a positive note, they got rid of Jeremy Krapinos. If Butler can't do the job he will still be by the phone. Thank goodness for no more Shitpulveda and his mandatory pooch punt into the EZ every game.

Return to Stillers Talk