Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » New Article: Colbert's Folly -- Farrior Signed to 4-year Dea

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

New Article: Colbert's Folly -- Farrior Signed to 4-year Dea

Postby StillMill » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:00 pm

http://www.stillers.com/articles/2272.aspx has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Practice Squad

Re: New Article: Colbert�s Folly -- Farrior Signed to 4-year Dea

Postby vsingletary » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:08 am

Damn u make a lot of sense. However I hope that this time this deal pans out!

Grizzled Veteran

Re: New Article: Colbert?s Folly -- Farrior Signed to 4-year Dea

Postby stillgrill » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:35 am

My gawd Potsie is an awful signing. The only feasible explanation is that they expect SlowaFoote to be gone soon & the youngins (Wood & Timmons) need the mentoring. Still, they're gonna have so many O-line departures they'll have open tryouts in Latrobe next yr. This is a slap in the face to M Smith.

Practice Squad

Postby Zorro » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:40 am

The potential FAs next spring include:

Marvel Smith
OT

Max Starks
OT

Anthony Smith
FS

Willie Colon
OT

Trai Essex
OT

Chris Kemoeatu
OG

Bryant McFadden
CB

Nate Washington
WR

Granted, backups like McBean, Madison, Mason, Arnie Harrison, and Frazier are hardly a steep concern.

But 5 veteran O-lineman -- including 3 starters in LT M. Smith, LG Chris Kemo, and RT W. Colon -- could depart. Even if only 3 or 4 depart, the depth chart will be totally decimated because there is no quality stockpile of youth and proven ability in the wings. Davis is a solid FB who is still developing and improving, and Nate has shown many flashes of being a decent #3 or 4 WR. Tony Smith has an awful lot of ability and if it gets harnessed, he could be a force. If nothing else, he is the #2 FS on the depth chart behind a very average veteran player that just had his spleen removed last year.

In all fairness, your overall point is worthy or thought. I was sure the Steelers would let Farrior go after this season. We could be looking back on this one in a couple years scratching our heads; however, I think this contract is set up in such a way to make it relatively easy for the Steelers to cut him 2 years from now without incurring much cap pain. If I were rating this signing on a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 4. The Simmons signing was probably worse, but we have certainly made better moves.

One point should also be noted regarding your list of players up for Free agency. As you mentioned, 2/3 of the players listed are either going to be cut this year or are the kind of players no is going to miss. Of the players that actually matter, I left them in the list above. Marvel, Starks, and Essex are the true free agents on the line. Colon is a restricted free agent which really means he isn't a free agent at all so take him off the list. Anyone who understands the NFL and the Steelers knows there is no way we would extend him now as it would be unnecessary. Tony Smith is also a restricted free agent sp he can also be removed from the list. Of the players that truly should have been signed prior to Farrior, I would put Kemoeatu at the top of that list as he is young, talented, and could be signed NOW for much less than he could be signed for in 6 months. Marvel is a tough one as he slightly older, has injury issues, and will command a high price tag. McFadden and Washinton are quality players but neither should be overpaid, and I suspect McFadden is asking too much with that rat agent of his.

Stillers.com Team

Postby StillMill » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:24 pm

Couple clarifications --

1. The ridicule I gave Smith last year was mostly related to the 1 game where his back was apparently (apparent to everyone BUT the coaching staff) so aching that he could not move AT ALL, and was abused.

2. I'm not advocating that Colbert rush out and throw $40M at M. Smith. But, smith is a LT and they are a premium in the NFL. We have little depth, ESPECIALLY if Colon AND Essex AND Starks depart. If smith's back is healthy (the staff SHOULD know this), then extending him is at least a viable option.

If Colon starts 15 or 16 games and plays solidly, and even whips some good rushers, he will be a HIGH value commodity in the spring. Sure, there is compensation if he departs as a RFA, but tell Ben about what the compensation will do for him when he fades back to pass 5 months after the draft. If Essex or Starks gets a lot of PT due to injury, their FA value will increase as well. Our center position is average as of right now.

The point in all of this, is that the entire O-line could be decimated by FA come March, and Colbert did NOTHING to address it. He tendered Starks to a 1-year deal with the franchise tag, and NOTHING came of it for a long term deal, so we will pay starks $6.9M to sit the bench and might not have him back in '09. And while the "perfect storm" for this O-line brews, Colbert does NOTHING, except waste time and money extending an aging, slowing, 33-year old ILB.

Practice Squad

Postby Y-Town Steel » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:00 pm

Alright, I think I have this Marvel situation figured out.

Who would you rather extend:

#1 Marvel Smith

OR

#2 Starks, Essex and Kemo-eat-u

I am assuming we keep the RFAs as Zorro points out. Colbert may be thinking he can sign #2 for virtually the same price as #1 after the season, especially is Starks and Essex only see occasional playing time in 2008.

That's it! I'm in Colbert's head :yes:

The 3 guys in #2 are younger than Smith, don't have back issues, and all 3 have shown ability to play in the NFL (really, Kemo is the biggest unknown). Colbert thinks either Essex or Starks can fill the LT void when Marvel departs. He better be effing right :suxfingers:
I'm the mutha-flippin' Rhymenocerous

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:09 pm

Y-Town Steel wrote: That's it! I'm in Colbert's head :yes:

Oh boy, another psychic moment for one of our posters.
Ahh so! I am in Colbert's head!

Greenhorned Rookie

Re: New Article: Colbert's Folly -- Farrior Signed to 4-year Dea

Postby gutofsteel » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:46 pm

I don't agree with much of what Mill writes, but this is spot-on.

Farrior has fallen off dramatically from 2004, but many still see that same player. Truthfully, the last few years he hasn't been much better than Larry Foote. Farrior has had very few impact plays the last few seasons. And, at 33, they just threw good money at what will be the 2nd or 3rd weakest position on defense next year (assuming Timmons starts for Foote, in a close call over Aaron Smith and Hampton).

I don't like it, but this is par-Colbert after the Mahan, Simmons and Starks debacles. A guy who trades-up to take a punter in the 4th round. Needless to say, Colbert obviously enjoys a little too much job security.

With the way the cap has escalated, the Steelers had a chance to get out of their own way and actually go after some decent FA's who could make an impact. Instead, they have chosen to grossly overpay their own marginal and aging players, choosing familiarity over upside.

Practice Squad

Postby Rocket Rashard » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:35 pm

Mill, I totally agree with what you wrote, but the deal was for 5 years. A big mistake like that is kinda hard to overlook.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Guinness » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:26 pm

Come on Still. You usually are spot on with your analysis but this signing amounts to a $5M guarantee which is prorated over 4 years ($1.25M/year cap hit). It would be stupid for Colbert NOT to secure a very steady, starting ILB with such minimal risk. This was a no-brainer. Is there another ILB with anywhere near Farrior's pedigree available at such a no-risk contract price?

Return to Stillers Talk