Dallas Baker had some nice grabs.
Dixon had nice scramble for td.
Holmes is THE MAN.

Stillers.com Team

Re: Positives from Steelers - Bills

Postby Nel » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:09 pm

Punting was pretty decent.
Mendenhall showed some of his promise.
Dixon and Santonio showed really good legs.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:10 pm

Harrison is a BEAST!
Hampton didn't have a heart attack.
Hines and Holmes rawk!

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:12 pm

steelerette wrote:Hampton didn't have a heart attack.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:13 pm

She has a good sense of humor. :cheers:

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:24 pm

But he also didn't find a Snickers on the turf when he spent 30 seconds looking... :lol:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:33 pm

trenches wrote:

But he also didn't find a Snickers on the turf when he spent 30 seconds looking... :lol:

That was so funny, trenches. I literally burst out laughing when I read your post. You da man! :cheers:

Nel wrote:She has a good sense of humor. :cheers:

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:36 pm

steelerette wrote:That was so funny, trenches. I literally burst out laughing when I read your post. You da man! :cheers:

Back atcha on the heart attack comment! :D Good stuff...

Seasoned Veteran

Postby The Fan Of STEEL » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:43 am

Ben was solid, even with the pick.
Hampton got some game time.
Timmons is improving and looks good.
Willie Reid had a nice catch and run.

It was another meaningless game, but the coaches and team learned where adjustments need to be made.

The Sky is not falling.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:39 am

The Fan Of STEEL wrote:
The Sky is not falling.

take the 2nd half of last season and the first 2 preseason games ,the sky has fell on the run defense. There are serious issues and its not just missed tackling, its the d line getting blown off the ball which could be do to age ect..

Now take into consideration the pass defense has not been above avg in over a decade which now leaves a recipe for disaster! sure timmons and woodley will be bright spots , but that wont be enuff to offset the declining play around them.

Look at the schedule, this defense mite give up an avg of 24 points a game unless something drastic happens.

Like I said in a post a month ago about ben's stats this season, this will be his career high water mark do to the fact they will be throwing 35 times a game trying to match scores with that crazy schedule thier facing!

ben also looks like he will be on his motorcycle behind that line again :(
Last edited by darthsteel on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Steelhope » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:42 am

The defense had better start wrapping up and tackling....so many piss poor missed tackles!!!!!

Seasoned Veteran

Postby dirtydave61 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:41 am

Funny how we got away from the positives real quick. ...

Timmons looks like a playmaker for sure, and I agree that this will be Ben's big year. He seems to have such a grasp of the offense and has so many playmakers to work with. Because he's got so many outlets and has been in the system for a while now, I think he'll cover up for what the offensive line lacks.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby JumboHeadYouks » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:00 am

If the offensive line can play DECENT..this offense looks to be a juggernaut this season. Ben has some real weapons to work with. I think the defense will also be very good.

What I am really excited about is playing CLE and beating the phuck out of them. Once this is done I can begin to compose one of the myriad of letters I will be sending to ESPN's so called "experts" who are all jumping on the Shitstain bandwaggon without giving the Steelers a 2nd thought.

This year reminds me of 2005...solid team...NO RESPECT.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:08 am

JumboHeadYouks wrote:If the offensive line can play DECENT..this offense looks to be a juggernaut this season. Ben has some real weapons to work with. I think the defense will also be very good.

What I am really excited about is playing CLE and beating the phuck out of them. Once this is done I can begin to compose one of the myriad of letters I will be sending to ESPN's so called "experts" who are all jumping on the Shitstain bandwaggon without giving the Steelers a 2nd thought.

This year reminds me of 2005...solid team...NO RESPECT.

Did you miss the game last night?
In case you did the stillers looked exactly like they did the second half of last season, swizz cheese defense , feast or famine running game and ben having to get ther hell out of the pocket soon as he drops back.

2005 is a longgggg longgg time ago..

This reminds me alot more of 2007 second half with a better holmes and woodley, thats about it!

Practice Squad

Postby Still_Poppin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:19 pm

Rucker has ups... just no hands to go with it... if he woulda caught that pass he woulda made the team....

our D looked pitiful in the 4th quarter against the run

Dixon looked like Korkie

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:17 pm

darthsteel wrote:ben also looks like he will be on his motorcycle behind that line again :(

That is what has me worried. Ben almost had his jersey ripped off of him last night, and although that might not be such a bad thing off the field ( :wow: ), we can't have Ben scrambling for his life all the time.

Practice Squad

Postby J & L Steel » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:30 pm

Pretty much all the starting skill players + Rashard and Baker.

James Harrison and Timmons on D. D line was AWFUL. The D as a whole was awful.Whether this was caused by a vanilla cover 3,lack of pass rush,no Troy,rust or lack of interest isn't known. But i do know it kind of looks like a distubing trend stemming back to last mid season.

I should say that it IS only preseason and there's 2 more games left to get things sorted out. :yes:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:00 pm

As this thread was geared for the positive of the game, I'll certainly comment on what I liked. If it has an immediate contrast, I'm going to throw it in with it.

The offense as a whole looked mediocre to good.

Ben's playing smarter each time I see him.

Santonio Holmes is poised to go into the season with a vengeance to be known as a receiver to be reckoned with. Hines is still Hines sans the ankle/leg.

Our offensive line seems to be blocking well on runs to the outside and delays, but it's concerning to see the lack of ability to push a run up the middle for 4-5 yards. Enter fat-back conspiracists. (I don't think that's even a word) That, coupled with pocket break-downs due to poor pass protection... I am hoping we're not going to see another year of mediocre play from the line.

It's going to be a battle in the backfield with the talent we have in the RB department. It's a good balance of different talents to create a better well-rounded assortment of weaponry coming out of the backfield than from years past.

On the defensive side of the ball, we seem to be getting better pressure on the QB. Even with what's probably vanilla packages, it's still nice to see BnG getting to the backfield with SOME consistency. I wish we had another fat-n-ugly on the DLine to compliment Fat Casey. (Why didn't he play more than he did anyway? Hope to see more out of him next game)

I can't really say anything good about our pass or run defense. Both looked atrocious last night. Swiss-cheese defense is putting it lightly. They gave up a lot of unnecessary yardage from missed tackles alone. Add that to the 5-10 yard gap coverage on receivers (Sorry. I've always been sold on the ability of our corners to play more man.) that seemingly gives up a lot of dink-n-dunk yards. It's really difficult to watch this defense when we're not sacking the QB every 3 plays.

Timmons really stuck out in the game to me. There was one play against the Iggles that sold me on his game-fast closing speed. He had a couple other big plays utilizing his speed and power that caused me to like him that much more. He's still learning, but man... Is he going to be a baaaad dude when it's all said and done.

Rashard showed flashes of what made him a 1st Rd pick. His ability to stop on a dime. His cutting and adjustment. It's a shame the plays didn't go for more yards than they did. That said, there was one play he hit someone and displayed his ability to keep moving his feet and power out 2-3 more yards. That was impressive considering on his run before, he looked tentative. Good that he proved he wasn't afraid to hit somebody. Maybe this style and mentality will grow and break the inability to run up the middle or score at the goal line on the ground stigma stuck on the Stillers.

I can't be mad at Sweed for his dropping and fumbling. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that it's due to him trying to get used to catching the ball out in front of him instead of using his body. These mishaps should become fewer as the weeks progress. I hope.

Reed barely missed that kick... But boy did he boom it. Why do most of his kickoffs come down around the 5 yard line?

I think it's safe to say that we're more loaded at TE that we've ever been in the history of the universe. Yes... Even more-so than Chuck Norris-esque Mark Bruener days. That was for ye olde schoolers.

One thing is for sure... I'm ready for some football!

Practice Squad

Postby Zorro » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 am

Mendenhall shows the ability to make people miss at the point of attack unlike any of our other backs. He needs to get lower, but that is very correctable.

Kemoeatu nearly decapitated one of the Bills' LBers on the second offensive series. Those who recorded the game and watched the line play closely will know exactly which play I am referring to. His "punch" is unlike anything I have ever seen. He has the ability to stun a defender with his initial contact more than anyone we have had in the last 10 years.

I found the hit noted above and attached the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fBYmm5NcX0

Timmons showing obvious talent.

While the run defense was awful, it looked correctable to me when watching the tape. It appeared to me that we were not maintaining our lanes/gaps more so than getting blown off the ball.

Return to Stillers Talk