Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Site Upgrades In Progress... Suggestions Needed!

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Site Upgrades In Progress... Suggestions Needed!

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:12 pm

All,

We will be making some site upgrades this week so bear with us. The main site may be offline and various times. The forums will remain unaffected so if you haven't already done so, please bookmark the forums' main page so you can access them directly -- http://forums.stillers.com.

Also, I am taking suggestions for content on the main site. Is there any Steelers related information, content, etc. that you'd like to see? Any additional news, etc.? Provide your ideas and if feasible, we'll add it to the site.

Practice Squad

Re: Site Upgrades In Progress... Suggestions Needed!

Postby signplax » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:51 pm

For starters, try maintaining the site instead of leaving the site in crisis mode. Shame....there'd be no [other site] if proper mainenance was done......when the site was down and out, it seemed no one cared. (or could be located) One of many reasons we now have 3 different sites.
Last edited by thesteelhammer on Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed competing ULR

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:19 pm

Signplax,

That is a given. I am looking for constructive feedback for the future. Steps have been taken to prevent previous issues including changing board software and moving web hosts (the web host was the root cause of the issue). Don't confuse life situations for lack of caring...what was, was. Dwelling on it serves no useful purpose.

Now, what can you offer to improve upon the main site or forums?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby The Fan Of STEEL » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:01 pm

Get some decent writers for the front page. It's what brought many of us here in the first place. Another suggestion would be to ignore any kind of board war, as I think they are stupid as fuck and could care less about them.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:26 pm

I agree with The Fan Of STEEL (seeing a few more insightful articles on the main page). Those articles are what brought me to the discussion board forum(s) here at stillers.com. I can't think of any suggestions to improve the discussion board (and I also agree to just ignore board war talk); this forum format and content seem fine to me. I think the membership will certainly grow. I think it is fine to ban people who want to harm this site.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Thanks, Fan of Steel and Nel. I think we all agree on the board wars issue. We are all here to discuss Stillers football. This is supposed to be a fun use of our spare time, right?

As for the writers, we are searching for writers. Anyone that is interested should let us know. We also expect some other regulars to get back in the action soon.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:24 pm

Emoticons/Smilies...

We've had a few requests for additional emoticons/smilies. If anyone knows where a pack/archive/set of them can be downloaded, please let us know! :cheers:

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby sarka196 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:17 pm

trenches wrote:Signplax,

That is a given. I am looking for constructive feedback for the future. Steps have been taken to prevent previous issues including changing board software and moving web hosts (the web host was the root cause of the issue). Don't confuse life situations for lack of caring...what was, was. Dwelling on it serves no useful purpose.

Now, what can you offer to improve upon the main site or forums?

I have to admit that this site is looking much better now, but Plax has a point by bringing up the past. Had ANYONE communicated with the masses that gathered here and explained the issues when this site went down, many of the former masses would still be here. A lot of this whole "board war" could have been averted with some simple communication.

My constructive suggestion is to communicate (probably via email) to the site members if/when there are technical issues or other issues. I do understand that sometimes "real life" situations occur, but many of us had no idea what was happening and all we knew was this site was down or unusable. Many could not even access the site, so we had no clue of any issues. If you require an email address during registration, then you should be able to at least send out a "Site will be down" email to registered users with some type of explaination and an idea of when the site would be available again or direct them to an alternate/temporary site if needed.

I am really not trying to rehash old issues and as others have said...it is time to move forward. But, please consider my suggestion and incorporate some sort of emergency communication system for the freaks here (myself included) that cannot live without talking Stiller football. It's like crack and some of us cannot live without it. But, if my supplier suddenly disappears...I will find another. That's just the way it is.

Communication is the key, IMHO.
Marines should come with warning labels.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:25 pm

Sarka196,

I will look into a method to allows the masses to be updated when issues are being experienced (other than plain old site errors).

As for the update as to what happened, there were a number of posts regarding the issues, apologies, etc. but some individuals were exploiting the topics to their own advantages. As a result, the topics were removed.

Thanks for your feedback and contributions.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:39 pm

trenches wrote:Emoticons/Smilies...

We've had a few requests for additional emoticons/smilies. If anyone knows where a pack/archive/set of them can be downloaded, please let us know! :cheers:

Here are a few good sites to snag a bunch of smilies. As you can see, I love me some smilies! :lol:

http://www.cheesebuerger.de/smilie.php?setlang=english

http://www.clicksmilies.com/

http://www.thesmilies.com/sports.php

http://www.bestsmileys.com/pageindex.htm

http://www.planetsmilies.com/

Hope that helps.

Practice Squad

Postby ReigningSteel » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:27 am

I have a question. Why is private messaging blocked?

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:42 pm

ReigningSteel,

Please see http://forums.stillers.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=314 from the Policy/Suggestions/Announcement forum.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:07 pm

Thanks, steelerette!

I posted a few more smilies...

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:34 pm

Cool! :surockin:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:02 am

trenches wrote:Emoticons/Smilies...

Haha nice new emoticons up. Heres some more Steeler friendly ones Image

COPE!Image
Better than that pink helmet. Seriously wtf? lol Image
Heres hoping to Mahan getting cutImage
Good one for most of KC's thoughts Image

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:05 am

trenches wrote:Thanks, steelerette!

I posted a few more smilies...

Oh yeah, also for the main page (not in the forum section) you should put up a picture up of like a recent play that happened this week. It would spruce up the site a little

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Pittsburgh » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:58 pm

I got a Few...
The Moderation is Strict as all hell.
I dont appreciate that as i feel I should be able to PM people anything the Fack i want to and it shouldnt be an issue unless im giving your Website a Virus or something...

Also, Where is everyone? if this site Isn't Dead, It's damn close.
Im all for Hashing Steeler Buisness out on this site but im not gonna just sit in a room with afew people.
The Action used to happen right here...
Now there is no action but there is this guy... :sudancin: so things are not all bad at all.

My Suggestion is to Be Cool, Stop Worrying about other websites like others have said. Stop worrying about people talking about other Websites. Just Start Talking Football and things will be good.

If this site never comes back to its former self let it be a lesson learnt for all those involved with it's upkeep and management.

You had something great. Im all for it coming back... But if no one comes and starts laying down some knowledge in here this place is done. Gimme some Pittsburgh Video's Someone Start talking Some Crazy shit...

Its the 08 STEELERS and It's PRIMETIME baby. The Lights Is On and we got Things to Hash Out.
Start Talking People... Trust me, People is just Waiting to respond.

:sudancin:

:sufootballhelmet: No wonder... Bah ... Oh well...

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:33 pm

No l Gravity l,

Thanks for the extra smilies. They've been posted! :subngtowl:

Return to Stillers Talk