Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Post Gazette reports Byron Leftwich signed......

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Post Gazette reports Byron Leftwich signed......

Postby thepixburghkid » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:45 pm

Post Gazette is reporting that the Steelers have si[url][/url]gned QB Byron Leftwich to backup Big Ben. They chose leftwich over Culpepper today after a workout in Latrobe.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08223/903337-66.stm

Stillers.com Team

Re: Post Gazette reports Byron Leftwich signed......

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:49 pm

I think I'd rather have him than Culpepper although both are big question marks. Gerry Dulac didn't offer up any other details in his PG report. I wonder what he signed for... :?:

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby ibleedBLACKandGOLD81 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:25 pm

Hopefully he knows Jack Del Rio's playbook enough to help us beat that fuckin team

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:28 pm

Has anyone seen any pics of him? I hope he isn't the Hampton-equivalent at QB... 40 lbs. overweight.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby The Fan Of STEEL » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:33 pm

Hopefully we won't need him except for garbage time, but I'm glad we picked up a vet to fill in for Batch. It sounds like Batch is going to have surgery so his injury is much worse than they initially thought.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby sarka196 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:37 pm

Leftwich immobility will be a great cause for concern. Especially if our line does not improve. If Ben goes down, we could see a 50+ sack season easily.

:x
Marines should come with warning labels.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby thepixburghkid » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:36 pm

Steelers sign quarterback Leftwich, punter Berger to deals
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: August 10, 2008, 8:10 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
The Steelers filled two injury-created needs Sunday by reaching agreements with quarterback Byron Leftwich and punter Mitch Berger.

Leftwich
Leftwich, 28, signed a one-year, $605,000 deal to join the Steelers. Because he signed for a minimum exception contract, the deal will only count $445,000 on the Steelers salary cap. Leftwich was chosen over Daunte Culpepper, who also visited the Steelers Sunday.

The need for a backup quarterback was created when backup Charlie Batch suffered a broken right collarbone Friday night against the Philadelphia Eagles. Batch is expected to be sidelined four-to-six weeks.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Leftwich, who has started 46 career games for Jacksonville and Atlanta, may not be released when Batch returns.

"We're just going to let the play talk," Tomlin said. "You know how we do it. We're going to evaluate what we see based on performance."

The reason the Steelers picked Leftwich over Culpepper is because Leftwich felt more comfortable with the role the Steelers were offering. Ben Roethlisberger is the starter and Batch is expected to be the backup when he gets healthy again. Culpepper was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting job.

Leftwich was released by Atlanta in February and has played in just nine games the past two seasons because of ankle injuries. A first-round pick of Jacksonville in 2003, he saw action in 15 games that season, making 13 starts. He missed two games in 2004 and five in 2005 with injuries.

A serious ankle injury in 2006 limited him to just six games, opening the door for backup David Garrard to get a 10-game audition and win the starting job. Leftwich was released at the end of training camp last year and signed with Atlanta.

Berger agreed to a one-year, $830,000 contract. Punter Daniel Sepulveda suffered a torn ACL and is out for the season. The Steelers claimed Paul Ernster on waivers from Detroit last week. Berger's deal will only count $445,000 against the Steelers salary cap.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:52 pm

At that rate, it's a pretty good signing. You'd hope he's not needed but if so, he's started a number of games in his career and could prove to be a decent backup -- good for filling in for short stretches but not a long term answer.

Culpepper is a crack-smoker thinking he could possibly have a shot at an elite QB's position. WTH?

Practice Squad

Postby gumband » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:26 pm

Culpepper was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting job.

Oh please........if whoever is the backup quarterback in New England if they went down........would they aply the same comment between Brady 'n' Culpepper??? At least I'm glad they keep the competition for punter 'n' not jus' hand it over........

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:43 pm

I'm glad Culpepper is out of it. The last thing we need is a battle of the QB egos.

Practice Squad

Postby benstunner » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:05 am

If Leftwich does well and makes the team (I believe he will) and looks good throughout the season in practice (and in games if necessary) I could see the Steelers signing Leftwich to a semi long term deal to be a backup here unless he decides to try to become a starter elsewhere after the season.

I think Batch is a FA after the season so I believe that the 2009 season will feature Roethlisberger as the 1, Dixon as the 3 and whoever the Steelers feel more comfortable with between Batch and Leftwich (and depending if Leftwich would stay for longer then one season to be a backup here)

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:18 am

According to Coach Tomlin, Leftwich's arm is strong and he is looking trim and in shape. That is a positive sign.

Reportedly, the coaching staff had lots of time to review and evaluate his arm strength with his 6-7 second release. :lol:

Practice Squad

Postby Deadguy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:10 pm

Culpepper was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting job.
Delusions of grandeur! Megalomaniac! A couple of terms that come to mind. Should of been happy with a look... guy couldn't even catch on in Miami and he's going to "compete" for a job over Ben. Newsflash, I'd rather see Batch starting for the Steelers over Culpepper any day!

Return to Stillers Talk