Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Gary Russell

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Gary Russell

Postby The Fan Of STEEL » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:00 am

I don't know what anyone ever saw in this guy. I heard from people that he hits the hole hard and runs hard. This guys sucked yesterday and never hit any hole hard, he was like a wet noodle slipping around on a plate. He had one decent run where he got a first down, but even then he was falling from the moment he started running. He should be trade fodder if he actually has any interest from other teams.

Stillers.com Team

Re: Gary Russell

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:22 am

I hope we get to see him against some 1st string Defenses this preseason

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:01 pm

I beg to differ. The guy was hitting holes hard. The 2nd/3rd string OLers didn't give anything to Dixon and Russell. Did you see that play where he eluded 3 tackles? The guy will be good.

Dixon on the other hand I have never been sold on

Seasoned Veteran

Postby The Fan Of STEEL » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:26 pm

No l Gravity l wrote:I beg to differ. The guy was hitting holes hard. The 2nd/3rd string OLers didn't give anything to Dixon and Russell. Did you see that play where he eluded 3 tackles? The guy will be good.

Dixon on the other hand I have never been sold on

I've heard that he will be good, I'm not sold on it.
I did see that play where he eluded 3 tackles, I also saw play after play where he hesitated and ran with uncertainty. I have not been sold on this guy being a power runner. Yeah, he was playing behind a second and third string line, but was against the second and third string defense. With the depth we have, I don't think he will make the team unless he has some monsterous showing in the next three games.

Practice Squad

Postby bopper » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:06 pm

Gary Russell will never amount to anything in the NFL. I guess people get this false hope becasue at times in college he was more impressive then Maroney at Minnesota but he doesnt have the tools Maroney has. Just like the kid that started ahead of Willie Parker at N.C. will never amount to anything. NCAA and NFL are completely different.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:28 pm

bopper wrote:Gary Russell will never amount to anything in the NFL. I guess people get this false hope becasue at times in college he was more impressive then Maroney at Minnesota but he doesnt have the tools Maroney has. Just like the kid that started ahead of Willie Parker at N.C. will never amount to anything. NCAA and NFL are completely different.

Fair enough, but neither will Dennis Dixon.

We should've drafted Colt Brennan :yes:

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:17 pm

No l Gravity l wrote:
bopper wrote:Gary Russell will never amount to anything in the NFL. I guess people get this false hope becasue at times in college he was more impressive then Maroney at Minnesota but he doesnt have the tools Maroney has. Just like the kid that started ahead of Willie Parker at N.C. will never amount to anything. NCAA and NFL are completely different.

Fair enough, but neither will Dennis Dixon.

We should've drafted Colt Brennan :yes:

Yup. :cheers:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby El Nino » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:27 pm

colt brennan is awesome, I'm still shocked he was picked up in rd. 7, i thought he was going in 3-5 for sure

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby sarka196 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:45 pm

I've seen Russell play since high school and the guy has talent. Unfortunately, he did not show it in the first preseason game. He hesitated way too much and was NOT "hitting the holes". I did miss part of the 3rd qtr, so I may have missed some of his runs, but the ones I did see were nothing spectacular and even disappointing. I've been a big fan of his, but he did not look good in that game.
Marines should come with warning labels.

Return to Stillers Talk